Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do you grade the Patriots 2023 draft?

• A: Great

Votes: 45 23.2%
  • B: Solid but unspectacular

Votes: 90 46.4%
  • C: Meh it's Mid

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • D: Poor, BB has gone off the reservation again!

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • F: Someone walk me off the ledge, I'm about to jump!

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 16 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This felt like a Jekyll and Hyde draft. Some parts felt really good, and others felt really bad.

Here's my round by round evaluation.

1st Round: A. CB Christian Gonzalez was a no-brainer selection who was slated as a top 10 pick and has elite athleticism and size at a position of need.

2nd Round: B. Edge Keion White. He rushes the passer and he has excellent athleticism for his size at 6'5 285 lbs. At worse he probably turns into a solid rotation player for us who can contribute minutes along the DL.

3rd Round: D. S/LB Marte Mapu. This is where the draft started going off the rails. Instead of addressing offense and skill positions, BB drafts a pet project 'big nickel' tweener player. Maybe he'll turn out to be the next Kyle Dugger, but we already have Kyle Dugger. It would have made a lot more sense to pivot to offense and trade up for the best tackle or WR prospect but BB thumbed his nose at Mac Jones and continued to take only defensive players over the first two days.

4th Round: F. This round was Jekyll turning into Hyde. BB reached 3x for a C, G, and K. Even worse he expended two draft picks to move up for the kicker when we have a solid veteran K, Nick Folk who made 85% of his kicks last season, already in place. This was a real feels bad round of wasted opportunities.

5th Round: C. Patriots take another IOL with guard Antonio Mafi. IOL might be their most stacked position now. Did we really need another pick here?

6th Round: A. Patriots finally, finally address the elephant in the room and go for two Wide Receivers in Keyshon Boutte and Demario Douglas, they also land a punter with a big leg in Bryce Baringer. Ameer Speed is purely a special teamer but at this point he's just gravy.

7th Round: B. Patriots take a flier on a guy who can jump out the gym in 6'2 205 lb CB prospect Isaiah Bolden who clocked a 4.31 hand timed 40. Maybe he won't pan out, but his elite athleticism gives him a chance if he ever does.

Overall Grade: B-. Even though the Patriots failed really hard in rounds 3-5, they made up for it with a strong start, and some intriguing picks in the 6th round onwards.

As for Mac Jones, he was probably feeling like he was on life support until round 6 happened. Again it was a Jekyll and Hyde draft, but undeniably the Patriots probably got a lot stronger on defense, whereas the offense is a TBD. If Douglas or Boutte pan out, that will be a huge part of why the Patriots can improve as an offense. All the IOL picks were meh or reaches. We definitely reached for the kicker. Still no potential starter at tackle obtained in this draft class. No tight ends to apprentice behind Hunter Henry and Geisiki either who are both on 1 year deals.

But that's just my grade. Overall this draft felt like a roller coaster ride, but overall it gets the job done.
It just doesn't really improve our team in key need positions like OT, TE, starting WR or it's really hoping that some of the late round fliers at WR might pan out.

That's my 2 cents, but what's your draft grade?

Last edited:
I thought the draft was a home run.

There were some head scratchers like moving up for a kicker and the third round pick, but overall they had appropriate reaches, yet remained conservative when they should have been.

They filled a lot of voids and added depth in places maybe we wouldn't have preferred, but the team is closer talent wise now than before.

I’m pretty happy with it, although they took far more interior linemen and no TEs, both of which surprised me. But the potential lockdown CB, solid DE, rejuvenated special teams, and WR lottery tickets seem like good ideas.

Probably a B. Mostly good picks with smart upside. I think the biggest downside is I can see a lot of these guys needing some development. This could be a draft that next year looks meh but longterm looks great.

Getting Gonzalez where we did while netting a 4th might have been the best move a team made in the entire first round. The receivers were solid value for where they were at but they can go either way.

I do agree with you that rounds 3 and 4 will be the most questionable of the draft. Like a few years ago, the kicker pick is weird and he probably could have been gotten later (and if we missed out on him, it's not the worst thing as it's not an immediate need). That's the big one. But yeah I agree that there were spots more at need and those guys were drafted early.

But honestly if one of those lineman can pan out, it will probably have been worth it overall.

The only real downsides to this draft is that I can highly envision a lot of these guys taking a year or two to really come into their own and we still have a big questionmark at WR

I think they’ve definitely improved as a team, the offense doesn’t need to be spectacular next season, just don’t suck again, which I don’t expect them to. The defense will be bad ass next season, offense just needs to be good, not great.

I give it an A. They addressed numerous needs, added elite talent, and got younger, deeper, faster, and more athletic. They needed all of it. Great job by Belichick, Groh, Wolf, and all their scouts and player personnel department.

I still remember that time Ray was ranting pre Super Bowl in a garage. I thought to myself : that looks deranged. He totally could’ve killed a (or several) man (men).

It’s difficult to judge. It’s difficult to judge 2022 (I think judgment can be made after this season for last year’s draft).

If that CB becomes a star, that would go a long way. And you add three solid starters to a Gilmore type, that would be a winner.

I'm not a fan of the defense heavy draft. Would've like to see more balance as the offense needs massive upgrades at LT and WR. Help out your new/old offensive coordinator and most importantly the former 1st round QB.

Im happy with it. Gonzalez and white should contribute right away and if they are as advertised that could make our d pretty scary. Hopefully we got our punter here.

The rest seem like developmental pieces or projects. Weve Needed to upgrade depth on the interior ol for a long time over ferentz and we’ve hopefully got that, potential eventual replacements for andrews and onwenu. Boutte could be a major sleeper here. Mapu seems like one of those swiss army types on d , but seems kind of redundant with peppers and phillips already.

I think at the very least the first paragraph pans out which is a pretty solid draft alone.

Started as an A but for me went down to a C.

- Loved the Gonzalez pick. Position of need and we got a top 10 talent at 17.
- K. White looks like he can be a good player, but we have a comparable player in Wise and we have talent at the position. I wanted DE, but not this high. I was hoping they'd move up and get Marvin Mims in the 2nd.
- Belichick lost me on the Mapu pick. We have Dugger and Philips. We didn't need to reach for another box safety in the 3rd.
- I'm all for adding interior depth, just didn't see the need to add 3 players in the 4th/5th. 1 should have been enough.
- I like the Boutte pick, even with the risk.

Going into the draft I thought we were weakest at WR, OT, outside CB, LB, and Free Safety. We addressed one of those positions in the first 5 rounds of the draft.

Good draft, after the first 2 picks I was a little disappointed but from what I read those were not bad picks, just not the guys or positions I wanted.

I believe in this draft many players they wanted got drafted before their picks so they ended up making OTHER picks, that happens every year with all teams but I just had the impression that we got affected more by that randomicity this year. Can't complain after Gonzalez being there at #17 though

IOL and defensive backfield depth were poor last year, Ferentz and Bryant, so hopefully the late round guys will fix that. The first two picks are exciting. We needed a punter and kicker. Would have liked a TE or OT in R3, but it is what it is.

So many draft picks means that statistically more will hit, so B+. If Mapu turns out to be the big nickel, or coverage linebacker, that we have wanted for years, then maybe it is an A grade.

Last edited:
I give this draft a solid B plus. The first two picks were contributors. Three beefy backup guys for the interior of the offensive line. A lot of guys who have a chance on special teams

The draft was not what I expected, but as time passes I like it more and more.
With the advent of Rodgers, the emergence of Tua/Hill/Waddle + Josh the pats need a kick ass defense in those 6 games alone.
There are some developmental players here, and possibly a couple of guys who will make it to the 53..
New punter, new kicker if they develop with make ST's better..
Surprised we used as many picks as we did..

I gave it a C. Day one was an A+++.

Day 2, I don’t like the Mapu pick. I think at that point, you have to go WR or TE or OT. I also didn’t like that they didn’t trade up with the four 4th round picks and the four 6th round picks, to move up in the 2nd and 3rd. So I gave day 2 a D, they passed up a lot of good players in rounds 2 and 3. Missed opportunities. Keion White, may turn out to be a very solid piece, rated 1st round by Jeremiah and Kiper, so good pick up middle of round 2, but he plays a position where we are pretty deep, we had other needs, therefore I gave day 2 a D.

Day 3, I give a B-. Again passing up good WR’s and TE’s to draft 600 interior linemen. I like that some of them can play different Oline positions, but once again, missed opportunities. Loved the PK and Punter. Definitely needed the kicker of the future and a new punter. I don’t think much of the punter we signed from the Broncos. I expect Baringer to beat him out. Then the WR picks in the 6th, I feel more excited about Demario Douglas than Kayshon Boutte. Douglas is a prototypical Pat’s slot receiver. Good speed at 4.44 and a 39.5 vertical despite only being 5’8” 195. Boutte, if healthy, can be a good receiver. Both are long shots, but I like the talent level of both.

The Speed pick, I can’t complain. He’s probably going to the practice squad, and when activated will be a special teams player. Probably won’t see much time at DB, but lives up to his name, ran a 4.34 at 6’3” 205. CB Isaiah Bolden, is even faster at 4.31, is 6’2” 210, and I like this pick a lot, he’s a Deion Sanders protege, and also is a great return man. One thing I like about Speed and Bolden, they have the size and speed to cover fast TE’s if used at safety. Once again, long shots to make the team, but I love their talent level.

Overall, I gave it a C until when we see these guys play for the Pats. As usual, too many missed opportunities, especially in the TE, WR & OT positions. But, As we’ve seen time and again, sometimes late round picks and UDFAs wind up being better than high draft picks.

I gave it a C. Day one was an A+++.

Day 2, I don’t like the Mapu pick. I think at that point, you have to go WR or TE or OT. I also didn’t like that they didn’t trade up with the four 4th round picks and the four 6th round picks, to move up in the 2nd and 3rd. So I gave day 2 a D, they passed up a lot of good players in rounds 2 and 3. Missed opportunities. Keion White, may turn out to be a very solid piece, rated 1st round by Jeremiah and Kiper, so good pick up middle of round 2, but he plays a position where we are pretty deep, we had other needs, therefore I gave day 2 a D.

Day 3, I give a B-. Again passing up good WR’s and TE’s to draft 600 interior linemen. I like that some of them can play different Oline positions, but once again, missed opportunities. Loved the PK and Punter. Definitely needed the kicker of the future and a new punter. I don’t think much of the punter we signed from the Broncos. I expect Baringer to beat him out. Then the WR picks in the 6th, I feel more excited about Demario Douglas than Kayshon Boutte. Douglas is a prototypical Pat’s slot receiver. Good speed at 4.44 and a 39.5 vertical despite only being 5’8” 195. Boutte, if healthy, can be a good receiver. Both are long shots, but I like the talent level of both.

The Speed pick, I can’t complain. He’s probably going to the practice squad, and when activated will be a special teams player. Probably won’t see much time at DB, but lives up to his name, ran a 4.34 at 6’3” 205. CB Isaiah Bolden, is even faster at 4.31, is 6’2” 210, and I like this pick a lot, he’s a Deion Sanders protege, and also is a great return man. One thing I like about Speed and Bolden, they have the size and speed to cover fast TE’s if used at safety. Once again, long shots to make the team, but I love their talent level.

Overall, I gave it a C until when we see these guys play for the Pats. As usual, too many missed opportunities, especially in the TE, WR & OT positions. But, As we’ve seen time and again, sometimes late round picks and UDFAs wind up being better than high draft picks.
I agree with this assessment Gonzales easy A, White is a B I am even OK with the S/LB and give that one a B-
But trading up for the kicker and drafting 2 OK guard prospects was very disappointing when there is a desperate need for a top tier OT.
The late round lottery picks were fine.
Both TEs on roster have only 1 year left on contract
Not coming away with even a single rb, OT or TE is not good.

Too much Bill trying to outsmart everyone else

I give it a C*

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes