PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Player Available?? Naah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think bb will pick the best player on Day One as long as he plays LB, CB, WR or TE.

In past years, the FO has focused on various aspects of the team. Both lines, the running backs, the QB's are set through 2009.

Obviously, the TE pick could be made if Graham leaves.

Personally, I think we have waited long enough at LB anb CB. But this is new ground. Has bb ever drafted either positon in the first round since he joined the patriots? We had Law and McGinist, but that was before bb started drafting. I'd say we would move down, but the extra contract year means a lot to the pats. So, in the end, 24 and 32 are fine spots.

Last edited:
I think bb will pick the best player on Day One as long as he plays LB, CB, WR or TE.

In past years, the FO has focused on various aspects of the team. Both lines, the running backs, the QB's are set through 2009.

I could see some sort of Dillonesque RB being taken, since I'm not sure Dillon's going to still be playing in 2009. Also, there is the issue of Tom's backups (unless Cassel has resigned himself to being a holder/backup QB. . . .).

In any case, though, I think talking about BPA, in the Pats' case, is a bit misleading. The key term is value: they want to get as much for their $$$ as they can. In the past, that was by beefing up the lines. This year, though, I can't see the Pats adding any value by paying, say, a DL $1M to ride the pine (especially when they can pay Marquise Hill $700K to do the same thing :D ).

In any case, I suspect we Pats fans will have a LOT of interesting discussions/arguments the next three months. :)

Personally, I think we have waited long enough at LB anb CB. But this is new ground. Has bb ever drafted either positon in the first round since he joined the patriots? We had Law and McGinist, but that was before bb started drafting. I'd say we would move down, but the extra contract year means a lot to the pats. So, in the end, 24 and 32 are fine spots.

It amazes me that anyone still makes trades with the Pats. [Wouldn't you think teams would expect to get rolled?]

Last edited:
I'm OK with a backup QB or RB, but not on Day 1. I would think the RB would need to be a blocker and fullback. BTW, RB is one position that doesn't need much development time, just draft em and play em.

With regard to Dillon, I see him becoming another Bettis in 2008 and 2009, a role player on short downs and in the red zone.

I'm not sure how many hits Dillon has left in him. The high # of carries he got in Cincy may finally be catching up with him. It wouldn't surprise me if he called it a career after we win for Superbowl next month.

Although I like the idea of him in that Bettis role for next season.

I agree LB, CB, WR are the weakest units but I think they think there is a probowl type player available they will take him at any position except QB.

No one knows their logic, but I like the idea of taking BPA in round 1 because that is where the top talent is. The rest of the draft (and free agency) can be used to complete the roster.

I like Brian Leonard FB Rutgers 6-2 235 Would he be available in the later rounds ? He could get the tough 2/3 yds.
thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference