PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals Comments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pansyton doesn't dance..he waddles...like a duck

oh wait...wrong Chad

Let's not forget, we HAVE been through similar times! In 2001, we started off the year something like 1-3 and we struggled to get above .500 well into the second half.

In 2002, we just sucked period. But you never saw finger-pointing.
The one thing we have seen though, is sudden dismissals of those who (apparently) don't toe the line. Two punters come immediately to mind. Contrast that to the tolerance given to underachieving players who are otherwise good company men. Yet another punter comes to mind.

Let me say this:

1) Does is seem like Ocho Cinco is laying the ground work to play for the Pats someday?

2) That little friendly interaction between him and BB on the sideline must piss the rest of the Bengals off. It must be obvious to them that like Moss in Oakland, he's smart enough to realize he's never gonna win under Marvin Lewis or with the Bengals.

I've watch him 3 games this year, and other than being a self promoter, he just doesn't care about that team.

The Bengals problem is almost entirely attributable to personnel acquisitions. They bring in terrible character players non-stop. I think it's a combination of Marvin Lewis assuming that as a black coach that he can better reach troubled black youth, and a management gambling approach that says that when a player starts falling in the draft or is available cheap for character reasons (Chris Henry, Frostee Rucker, AJ Nicholson, Ahmad Brooks), it's worth taking the high risk, high reward approach.

The Bengals have gotten virtually NO help from the draft over the last three seasons aside from a pretty good CB and some serviceable linemen. That kills a team.

What Lewis needs to do, and the bye week is a good time to do it, is take a zero tolerance approach and run that team Coughlin style for the rest of the season, clearing out any dead wood. Marinelli spent his first year as coach finding out who was in it to win it, and booting out the rest, and it seems to have worked for Detroit.

It wouldn't hurt management to actually hire a GM with football knowledge and loosen the purse strings to bolster the scouting department.

Last edited:
Houshmandzadeh is a punk.

A sore loser punk. Ive seen him make mouthy commenst after nearly every loss.

He needs to grow up.
Ah .... you spelled T.J.'s last name wrong ......
Douchemandzadeh!

This is really too bad, because if the Bengals could get it together and stop arguing on the side lines, they could be a force to be reckoned with. They are really good at the no huddle, and a couple of times I thought they had the Pats D on their heels when they hurried to the line of scrimmage. Then they'd make a mistake and things would fizzle. The drive before the INT was a prime example. We couldn't stop them, but then either Chad ran the wrong route or Palmer threw off target (Looked like a little of both - even if Chad had turned the right way, Asante still would have been in front of him to make the pick) and there went the game.

What kind of a bozo coach calls his players selfish in public?

The Bengals have a lot of Johnson's on their team. Maybe they have too many Johnson's.

This is going to be a weekly routine, as long as the Patriots are playing like they are. We have seen defeatist, angry, frustrated comments from the NYJ, SD, BUF and now CIN. Anyone else see the common link?

Next to the microphone: Jamal Lewis and Kellen Winslow

Houshmandzadeh is a punk.

A sore loser punk. Ive seen him make mouthy commenst after nearly every loss.

He needs to grow up.

Let TJ talk his talk. Then he can go slick his hair back and walk to his car with his head down because he got SPANKED. All his talk is based on insecurity over his lack of production:singing:

Seems like a lot of teams are left talking to themselves after playing the Pats.

I watched the game and the Bengals do have some talent, but they clearly are not all on the same page. Sure, injuries cause disruption, but they are essentially a team of individuals, not working together for the cause. Palmer looks like a leader, but there needs to be those who will follow. Chad Johnson looks all full of himself. TJHoous.., same thing. Not a healthy attitude on that team.

//

I guess it's like the old argument. Does chemistry breed winning, or winning breed chemistry? I've always felt it's more the latter.

:) ).

It's a feedback loop. Both statements are true. The reverse is also true (losing creating bad chemisty; bad chemistry creating losing) and I think that's why you see teams with a lot of talent sometimes fall off precipitously without much explanation. It can spiral.

A coaching staff needs to instill this message, however they do it: "Do it my way and we will win"

When this message is not getting through for whatever reason, a team is in trouble.

See steelers, Cincy last year; Chargers, Saints, Bears this year

It's a feedback loop. Both statements are true. The reverse is also true (losing creating bad chemisty; bad chemistry creating losing) and I think that's why you see teams with a lot of talent sometimes fall off precipitously without much explanation. It can spiral.

A coaching staff needs to instill this message, however they do it: "Do it my way and we will win"

Very true: during Belichick's first year here (2000), the Pats had little talent and little room under the cap. They went 5-11, but there was very little dissent amongst the players. BB kept the stronger players (who also happened to be strong locker room guys) and added guys like Mike Vrabel, Larry Izzo and Bryan Cox.

Even in 2000, the Pats were competitive because they followed sound game plans and rarely got caught by surprise. I think if a team trusts its coach and can see there's an overall plan to follow, they feel more secure and tend to lash out far less. Marv Lewis has been in Cincy for a while; at this point I don't think the players are buying into what he's selling. :(

Did Chad do any funny dances this week?

Not in the endzone........ But he did dance over to our our bench and looked pleadingly into Bill's eyes and whispered.............

"Please, Mr. Bill, save me from this hell.... I'll sell my soul and give up my future children to play for YOU. PLEEEEEASE".

Not in the endzone........ But he did dance over to our our bench and looked pleadingly into Bill's eyes and whispered.............

"Please, Mr. Bill, save me from this hell.... I'll sell my soul and give up my future children to play for YOU. PLEEEEEASE".

Nice to see that the nationals aren't buying Marvin's selfish histrionics. He got all the credit for a one year turnaround that was an offensive talent driven anomoly not of his making. Now he wants to blame selfish players for his inability to sustain that turnaround when he hasn't given them the one thing they needed, a remotely competent defense. On second though make that two things, accountability from the top down being the other.

"Poor Bengals. What happened Monday night was sort of pathetic, and somewhat avoidable. This being the Bengals, they don't avoid issues. They create them, then milk them for the maximum self-inflicted damage. Don't be fooled by the Bengals' respectable 36-32 record under Marvin Lewis. The only difference between this team and **** LeBeau's Bungles is Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, three offensive players who fell into Marvin Lewis' lap and have spent the last four years trying to overcome Lewis' baby, the Cincinnati defense.

Cincinnati's ineffective defensive schemes have been exacerbated by Lewis' shortcomings as the team's de facto general manager, including wasted draft picks on known character risks Odell Thurman and A.J. Nicholson. Both knuckleheads are -- were -- linebackers. The Bengals began the season with just seven linebackers, including injured Canadian Football League refugee Rashad Jeanty, and have been battling additional injury problems there ever since.

Entering this game, starting middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks was doubtful and replacement Caleb Miller was out. That left four healthy linebackers for three spots, which became three for three spots when Brooks was inactivated -- but the Bengals made no moves earlier in the week to shore up the position. There isn't a spare linebacker on the practice squad. There aren't even the full allotment of players on the practice squad. Same old cheap Bungles, I'm telling you. "

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10383948

Those were some curious comments from Marvin Lewis. They weren't just the routine angry outbursts of a frustrated coach. They were very pointed, all about selfishness and second-guessing. It sounds to me like there must have been rumblings of mutiny on the sidelines or at halftime. Add in TJ's comments pooh-poohing teamwork and asking Lewis to "name names" and it's starting to look like that coach has lost control of his team.

"Entering this game, starting middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks was doubtful and replacement Caleb Miller was out. That left four healthy linebackers for three spots, which became three for three spots when Brooks was inactivated -- but the Bengals made no moves earlier in the week to shore up the position. There isn't a spare linebacker on the practice squad. There aren't even the full allotment of players on the practice squad."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10383948

I was very curious about this! Yes, Cinci has suffered a rash of LB injuries. But is it really so different from the days when Earthwind Moreland and Hank Poteat were suiting up in the Patriots secondary? You don't just show up without players! Where's the Bengals' "shadow roster"???

I was very curious about this! Yes, Cinci has suffered a rash of LB injuries. But is it really so different from the days when Earthwind Moreland and Hank Poteat were suiting up in the Patriots secondary? You don't just show up without players! Where's the Bengals' "shadow roster"???

Shoot, I remember a similar situation back in '99 or so, when linebackers started dropping against Miami. We ended up blowing a big lead to Damon Huard with a second-half LB corps of Tedy Bruschi*, Vernon Crawford, and Lawyer Milloy.

*It may have been Katzenmoyer instead of Bruschi. I'm positive of the other two.

Coach of the Year and instant Competition Committee member after one turnaround season that ended abruptly when his QB was carted off to surgery Marvin Lewis - should spend a few minutes tonight when he gets home screaming at the putz in the mirror.

I always laugh when they wax poetic about these "hugger tree" HC's. They will turn on their talent publicly and privately the minute the heat gets turned up on them. Something the notorious spymaster whose players would oddly run through walls for never, ever does. I think that is something old 85 has come to realize - coaching matters. He said among his subdued comments this week that this matchup would also be about coaching. It's not the talent's fault this team is woefully undermanned and still can't field a defense. They can be undisciplined at times, but that's a longstanding coaching issue. They played their asses off. They were simply overmatched on the field and on the sidelines.

Personally, I find Marvin Lewis to be the opposite of a tree hugger. He is more than a little scary. He has the same personality as OJ Simpson. On the outside, he is giggly and happy and all smiles and such but then a lightswitch goes off in his head and he is angry beyond all bounds.

To me, he represents all the characteristics of a seriously unbalanced personality. He does not have control of his emotions, and is unstable. That will no doubt rub off on the team, considering half of them are criminals and the other half are egomaniacs.

The whole team is like the Chargers, they are living on past rep and think that if they just show up they should get some kind of reward. They played hard on Monday because their pride was at stake, but they have no excuses for some of their other loses.

Still waiting for parole?????;)

The teams who pre-season were full of themselves have totally melted down mentally after seeing up close & personal how inept they really were when faced with the Pats Juggernaught. Only Buffalo who probably had a realistic expectation of themselves remains unscathed. Oh, and probably because they fortuitously found their real QB of the future, not Loserman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes