PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals Comments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://myespn.go.com/profile/hashmarks?tag=pats-bengals

A dysfunctional Bengals locker room could be near its breaking point. Standing outside the locker room following the Patriots' dominating victory at Paul Brown Stadium, reporters could hear coach Marvin Lewis ripping into his team. Lewis used the word "selfishness" in his public comments when asked what the Bengals would see if they looked into a mirror.

Earlier, quarterback Carson Palmer had ripped into receiver Chad Johnson on the sideline following an apparent miscommunication that led to an interception right before halftime. Palmer's reaction, coupled with the blatantly errant nature of what should have been a relatively simple pass play, suggested there might have been a miscommunication on the route. After the game, Palmer stood up and took responsibility for the miscue, saying he forced the ball into the wrong spot after misreading the coverage. This seemed like an incomplete, if not dubious explanation, and suspicions grew as Palmer refused to elaborate.

Palmer's comments were consistent with a quarterback who regretted losing his cool and decided to take the fall for the good of the team.

Meanwhile, receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh expressed consternation over Lewis' comments relating to selfishness. Houshmandzadeh said he wished Lewis would just come out and name names, instead of letting his comments hang. Houshmanzadeh acknowledged that he could be one of the allegedly selfish players. Lewis had pointed to the Patriots as an example of a team that had reaped the benefits of unity, whereas the Bengals' selfishness was dragging them down. Houshmandzadeh shrugged off the suggestion, saying it's easy for the Patriots to show unity because they're winning. He thought winning breeds teamwork, not the other way around.

bad situation...

Houshmandzadeh is a punk.

A sore loser punk. Ive seen him make mouthy commenst after nearly every loss.

He needs to grow up.

Chris Henry is the REAL star WR on that team...too bad he's got some screws loose

Palmer is a stand up guy. I think both he and Chad were just frustrated on the sidelines there. It happens.

I don't know what selfishness Marvin Lewis is talking about? They got beat by a better team, it's not like they weren't trying.

Anyway, TJ's right. When you're winning, everything's great. Losing brings all this other stuff out.

TJH was the guy who said last year that there was no difference between the Bengals and Patriots - except for the three rings . . . :confused:

I love Palmer but one minute he's talking about needing to be more like the Patriots then a few minutes later he says he's looked at the schedule and sees no team on it they should lose to - imagine Bruschi saying that ? :eek:

TJ is wrong. The Pats had high character guys even before they started their dynasty.

When the Pats were losing or only above average, there weren't as many meltdowns with Belichick as coach in his first years as NE head coach.

It all starts at the top, and the Bengals have neglected character as a key attribute when they scout, draft, or sign free agents.

It's true winning breeds team work and and team effort. But in the reverse, team work and effort breed winning.

Honestly, if for some reason we were to start a season 1-3? I don't think there would be fingerpointing and jackholes running their mouth's in the media. It woud be business as usual. "We have to get better" comes to mind. We hear that every week and though sometimes it must sound like a monotone it's the truth in every job you do. We as fans our blessed with this football team and coach. I will believe that until the day I die. Win or lose I love everything this organization stands for.

Palmer and Houshamazilli are like LT and Rivers - they don't understand that it takes a TEAM to be successful. They carry on this "woe is me, I'm talented but I don't win" attitude.

Before the game I knew this would be a one-sided contest. Just look at the matchups on the line of scrimmage - was there any doubt?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271001004
more comments..
Cincinnati's performance was so maddening that coach Marvin Lewis screamed at his players in the locker room for several minutes.

"If you don't want to be on this team, please don't show up!" Lewis said, yelling so loud that reporters outside could hear. "You don't call the offense, you don't call the plays. You just play.

"Nowhere in the NFL do guys act like this. We've got to figure this out."

It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys. NOT!!!!

It's true winning breeds team work and and team effort. But in the reverse, team work and effort breed winning.

Honestly, if for some reason we were to start a season 1-3? I don't think there would be fingerpointing and jackholes running their mouth's in the media. It woud be business as usual. "We have to get better" comes to mind. We hear that every week and though sometimes it must sound like a monotone it's the truth in every job you do. We as fans our blessed with this football team and coach. I will believe that until the day I die. Win or lose I love everything this organization stands for.

The Pats have a championship pedigree and a SB winning core group of vets to fall back on if they ever fall into a prolonged rut. They wouldn't panic because of it. So I think the situation is a little different than it is with the Bengals.

I guess it's like the old argument. Does chemistry breed winning, or winning breed chemistry? I've always felt it's more the latter.

Anyway, if the head coach thinks there's something seriously wrong, then there must be. But if Marvin Lewis is pointing fingers, then he better also point them at himself and his staff, not just the players. I've always liked that about Belichick. When they don't win, he always makes sure to say to the media that it was the coaching that failed, along with the players. He doesn't put the onus just on the players when they lose (publicly, at least :) ).

Palmer is a stand up guy. I think both he and Chad were just frustrated on the sidelines there. It happens.

I don't know what selfishness Marvin Lewis is talking about? They got beat by a better team, it's not like they weren't trying.

Anyway, TJ's right. When you're winning, everything's great. Losing brings all this other stuff out.
Yeah really selfishness when your down to TWO linbackers,11 players in all against the pats and lose, it has nothing to do with selfisness.

Last edited:
Coach of the Year and instant Competition Committee member after one turnaround season that ended abruptly when his QB was carted off to surgery Marvin Lewis - should spend a few minutes tonight when he gets home screaming at the putz in the mirror.

I always laugh when they wax poetic about these "hugger tree" HC's. They will turn on their talent publicly and privately the minute the heat gets turned up on them. Something the notorious spymaster whose players would oddly run through walls for never, ever does. I think that is something old 85 has come to realize - coaching matters. He said among his subdued comments this week that this matchup would also be about coaching. It's not the talent's fault this team is woefully undermanned and still can't field a defense. They can be undisciplined at times, but that's a longstanding coaching issue. They played their asses off. They were simply overmatched on the field and on the sidelines.

Houshmandzadeh shrugged off the suggestion, saying it's easy for the Patriots to show unity because they're winning.

This is a very short sighted comment. Yes, people are in a better mood in general when they're winning but that doesn't guarantee unity. Ask the Eagles about that.

Cincinatti just seems like a dysfunctional team. They got a lot of talent on one side of the ball and absolute garbage for defense.

I still like Chad Johnson though. Come to New England someday, ocho. :rocker:

If they were 1-3 they would be silent, you are right about that. But if it were this season it would be an absolute crapstorm because every day a media blowhard would be talking about how Belichick undermined his players by distracting them with the video nonsense.

So I don't think it would be all that tranquil, but you would never see this sideline arguing or hear about rants in the locker room. If for no other reason, Belichick would forbid to keep the media sharks from smelling blood.

I'm amazed by and proud of the poise and focus this team has. The video incident seems like it was ages ago because all they've done since then is go out and continue to play well in every phase of the game.

Plus Belichick will remain focused like a laser on getting them to improve on some of the areas that still need work. This team continues to focus on the task at hand better than anyone else.

After the game, Palmer stood up and took responsibility for the miscue, saying he forced the ball into the wrong spot after misreading the coverage. This seemed like an incomplete, if not dubious explanation, and suspicions grew as Palmer refused to elaborate. Palmer's comments were consistent with a quarterback who regretted losing his cool and decided to take the fall for the good of the team.

The comment wasn't incomplete at all and Carson wasn't biting any bullet "for the good of the team". Chad couldn't run the post because Wilson was cheating towards him. He was right to run a different route. Granted, I'm not on their practice field, but it seemed obvious on replay that Wilson was all over the post.

Let's not forget, we HAVE been through similar times! In 2001, we started off the year something like 1-3 and we struggled to get above .500 well into the second half.

In 2002, we just sucked period. But you never saw finger-pointing.

To any Bengals fans who might read this thread:

My condolences on Marshall's injury, and I hope he can come back from it post-rehab. That's a very tough injury for a player to suffer and I hope he can get back to 100%.

Did Chad do any funny dances this week?

Did Chad do any funny dances this week?
Yeah, he danced right into the losing locker room. I think it was the maciraena. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back