PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Benching Welker - Setting the tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Benching Welker- Pathetic

This, although Brady was off today, just not himself, bad decisions, poor throws. Who knows why

Jets defense came to play and made the adjustments that the Patriots offense had trouble countering.

I don't remember Rodney ever talking back in the media while a member of the Patriots. Someone have a link?

I don't remember Rodney ever talking back in the media while a member of the Patriots. Someone have a link?

I can't find a link, but if you don't remember all of the media quotes about "They don't respect us" from the entire team, then im surprised.

The entire 03/04 season I kept thinking, "How can you even use the no respect card" But it worked.

They never initiated talk, they responded, and you can tell they got pissed about it.

Its Belichick's team. Dont go against Belichick's grain or you will be punished, no matter how important you are. Welker's talking was the proof that the Jets were getting into the Patriots heads.

I can't find a link, but if you don't remember all of the media quotes about "They don't respect us" from the entire team, then im surprised.

The entire 03/04 season I kept thinking, "How can you even use the no respect card" But it worked.

They never initiated talk, they responded, and you can tell they got pissed about it.

Saying that "They don't respect us" is a helluva lot different than what Welker did..

Saying that "They don't respect us" is a helluva lot different than what Welker did..

Correct, I think what Welker did was a sad excuse compared to how leadership in the past responded to other teams trash talking.

Our entire represntation of the week leading up, and execution looked soft, and pathetic... just a soft, weak team who got steam rolled by a bully and didn't have a leader to respond to it.

I don't have a problem with BB benching Welker for the first series. JC they almost scored a TD, had it not been for the int. BB sent a clear message to the younger players about the importance of staying in the system. The system has a proven track record when followed and the message was sent. There's a lot of young & impressionable players on this team. It's not much solace now, but it may pay dividends in the future.

Last edited:

Nothing to do with Welker benching--come on, one series. Welkers big mouth got the Jets really pissed and it showed in the way they played.

Just curious to hear if any of you think benching Welker set the tone of that game last night.

This team functions well with an opening TD drive. It's weird how flow means so much. Our team never had any flow at all. They were disrupted big time, and let's give the Jests some credit, they disguised very well.

Like the Rat said on ESPN, pre-snap info gives Brady an advantage. There was a ton of disguising going on yesterday. Last night proved once again that without Brady on his game, we are toast. We don't have the D to keep it close.

Back to Welker, I think he is going to take this benching hard, and perhaps short term pain for long term gain here, the next 3-5 years will answer that.

I actually do think that that benching hurt their flow. Yes we made our mistakes but in a close game, I don't feel benching Welker for an AFC divisional game is 'what's best for the football team'.

It's too bad the lesson had to be taught on such a meaningful stage.

Just curious to hear if any of you think benching Welker set the tone of that game last night.

This team functions well with an opening TD drive. It's weird how flow means so much. Our team never had any flow at all. They were disrupted big time, and let's give the Jests some credit, they disguised very well.

Like the Rat said on ESPN, pre-snap info gives Brady an advantage. There was a ton of disguising going on yesterday. Last night proved once again that without Brady on his game, we are toast. We don't have the D to keep it close.

Back to Welker, I think he is going to take this benching hard, and perhaps short term pain for long term gain here, the next 3-5 years will answer that.

I actually do think that that benching hurt their flow. Yes we made our mistakes but in a close game, I don't feel benching Welker for an AFC divisional game is 'what's best for the football team'.

i think it hurt definitely, but can't say that welker being there on the opening drive would have done a lot to the jets great defensive game plan for the rest of the game. the jets won because they confused brady - that's all there is to it. even if crumpler caught the TD and brady not throwing the pick, brady was off all night.

benching welker was a parcells thing to do - bush league. fine him if u want, but by benching him u are telling him hey we don't need u. obviosly they do.

but by benching him u are telling him hey we don't need u.
I completely disagree, and am surprised that someone would get that impression.

I think the action of benching him is sending him the message that there are consequences for his choices, and that he is accountable - his role and importance to the team performance nonwithstanding.

Last edited:

They had fine flow on the drive w/o Welker. Welker didn't overthrow the ball to the other team.

If a team can't overcome one player missing the series and a dropped TD in a first half, they don't have playoff mentality. Over the last two years, visiting teams seem to have it and the home team doesn't.

i think it hurt definitely, but can't say that welker being there on the opening drive would have done a lot to the jets great defensive game plan for the rest of the game. the jets won because they confused brady - that's all there is to it. even if crumpler caught the TD and brady not throwing the pick, brady was off all night.

benching welker was a parcells thing to do - bush league. fine him if u want, but by benching him u are telling him hey we don't need u. obviosly they do.

This was arrogance on bills part

'I will bench my second best offensive player the first drive and still score on you"

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to know what tom brady thought of move by bill.

This was arrogance on bills part

'I will bench my second best offensive player the first drive and still score on you"

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to know what tom brady thought of move by bill.

This is exactly how I feel

What set the tone were the miscues early on offense. Both drives on each side of the ball, the Pats dominated. The Pats stopped the Jets pretty quickly on their first opening drive. Then Brady and company had no problem driving down the field until his stupid INT which was 100% him. Even after a return that got the Jets to start the drive on first and goal, the Pats stopped them and forced them to kick a field goal which was missed. Then the Pats drive right back down the field and Crumpler dropped an easy TD pass that forced the Pats to settle for 3.

The Pats should have been up 14-0 or 10-0, but ended up settling being up 3-0. That was enough to give the Jets confidence where the tide turned in the second quarter. That is what set the tone.

I thought the Welker benching was stupid considering the magnitude of the game, but people are making too much of the impact of that move.

The INT was a screen to BJGE, something we do not run a lot. Would it have instead been a screen to Welker had he been in there? Was BJGE in the right place? What did Tom see?

I doubt we will ever know the answer to any of these questions, but if we put up 14 points on those first two drives, instead of 3, yesterday's game becomes a rout in our favor, most likely.

I don't mind the discipline. It shows how things are run in our house vs. with the Jets. Our guy says something minor and pays. Octodad slings 4-letter words all over the place and likely gets a hig from his coach. God I hate the Jets. Maybe the Steelers can shut them up.

I agree. You could argue "best for the team in the long run" I suppose, as many of the "BB and his system is beyond questioning by mere mortals" crowd (who are conspicuously absent today would argue). Thing is, there may not be football played next year and I agree with everyone saying the discipline could have been done behind the scenes--like BB does everything else.

Nobody here knows the whole story behind this, and to me it's the million dollar question.

I think the bigger question is how it was done. Did BB let Wes know during the week? Or, did he mosey up to him in warm ups and tell him he's sitting out the first series?

How did BB inform Brady, and what was Brady's reaction?

How did the rest of the offensive starters react?

Was it a pre-game distraction?

Those are questions that need to be answered before we can know for certain how big of a deal this was. I don't think simply saying "they played well without him" really covers all the bases here.

Last edited:
If benching Welker was enough to cause the Pats to lose, then the Pats would not have gone too far anyway. I think for whatever reason the Jets were more up for the game than the Pats. The Pats played good enough to win, but they did not play well, nor did they win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes