PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Benching Welker - Setting the tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely disagree, and am surprised that someone would get that impression.

I think the action of benching him is sending him the message that there are consequences for his choices, and that he is accountable - his role and importance to the team performance nonwithstanding.

I think Welker's actions as an entertainer put himself above the team. It created a distraction for the coaching staff in terms of dealing with media and disciplinary action and also crossed the line by poking fun of a personal matter. I think Patriots as an organization wanted to send a message to the public that this action (poking fun of a personal matter) wasn't tolerated by the organization - I think that is why they provided the 'benching' information to CBS broadcast crew even though even players such as Deion and Wilfork weren't apparently aware of it until after the game.

I think Welker was hilarious but used bad judgment in this case.

Re: Benching Welker- Pathetic

The Jets won this last game, but the lack of discipline in that locker room is evident, starting with the head coach, and that will always come back to bite people in the butt down the road.

We agree that it certainly didn't bite them yesterday (and we will see if it does down the road), and it was one of the reasons why a team that has been playing as horribly as the Jets ended up winning: playing loose and with emotion, verses puckered up like a scared pig.

I'll take BB's style over Ryan's any day, but it's downright tragic that this game became a referendum between the two on one level. Welker's benching only added fuel to the fire.

Regarding the rest of you post, your workplace analogies are strained. Welker was not "fired." He was made an example of--something that no good manager would do in front of the rest of his employees (literally), much less in front of a national audience.

I liked it. I thought Welker's comments were out of line and I'm glad that BB sat him. BB clearly told the team to not respond to the Jet's and Welker decided he'd do it anyway. As other's have noticed, we were actually moving the ball at that point.

I think Welker's actions as an entertainer put himself above the team. It created a distraction for the coaching staff in terms of dealing with media and disciplinary action and also crossed the line by poking fun of a personal matter. I think Patriots as an organization wanted to send a message to the public that this action (poking fun of a personal matter) wasn't tolerated by the organization - I think that is why they provided the 'benching' information to CBS broadcast crew even though even players such as Deion and Wilfork weren't apparently aware of it until after the game.

BB went and put himself above the team by his monumentally stupid move of throwing the team off by benching the best receiver on the opening drive. The team exists to win, not to be perfect gentleman, like Welker's foot comments were that big of a deal.

If you want to send a message then fine him 20k and move on.

KEEP YOUR PLAYMAKERS ON THE FIELD, THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE THEM!

This was one of BB's worst moves ever, let's just be honest and admit it.

They kept Welker off the field because they were scared he was going to get hit in the mouth.

A benched player does not return the first punt of the game..doesn't make sense, especially considering Edelman returned punts during the game as well.

Nothing to do with Welker benching--come on, one series. Welkers big mouth got the Jets really pissed and it showed in the way they played.

by getting 30 total yards in the 1st quarter compared to the Pats 120?...Yeah, they were pissed and came out like gangbusters. Not

A benched player does not return the first punt of the game..doesn't make sense, especially considering Edelman returned punts during the game as well.
The two plays that halted the offensive momentum for the New England Patriots offense were first the Tom Brady interception and second the dropped pass by Alge Crumpler in the end zone. Benching Welker is not the reason for any first quarter offensive collapse.

Welkers benching had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. It was the complete and total meltdown of Brady that caused the loss. He couldn't figure out the Jets defense to save his life. Even Bill was yelling at him from the sidelines to throw the damn ball and quit make audibles to a running plays in the 4th quarter.

I wondered the same thing. But in the end, a player out for one series doesn't throw off a team causing them to lose.

the whole thing was pete carolll esq.... if your going to bench him fine, but dont have him return the punt, then sit him... it just was dumb.. but it is what it is...

i think the personal nature of the comments were a factor. if welker had kept it within the players like rodney called vanderjerk its possible BB wouldve done things differently who knows.

He should have received some punishment. Agreed. But benching him to start the game is a bad move. You need every weapon at your disposal.

Would Welker have dropped the pass that Crumpler did in the endzone? Where was Hernandez or Gronkowski on that play for that matter.
Just one of a series of small mistakes, weird moves that certainly didn't help us win that game.

It was the right move. It's the Patriots' way (BB) or the highway. The benching wasn't just for this game, it was a message to the team that will resonate for a long time. It sends the young players a message.

Yeah, the message that in a win or go home game, you'll still get benched for a harmless comment.

I think it's idiotic. Welker's comments were witty and funny. It wasn't derogatory like Cromartie's for which if Welker had made the same type of comments, I would have agreed on for the benching.

To me, the benching was petty and hurt the team. Which goes against BB's mantra of "doing what's best for the team."

Benching Welker - Setting the tone

Patriots came out on fire. Moved the ball up and down the field. Defense stuffed the Jets. Tone worked well. Too bad they couldn't maintain it. :rolleyes:

I know BB has rules and wants to make sure that he can't be perceived as a softie in front of the kids, but a fine would have been appropriate.

WW has given a lot to this team. BB may have been a bit harsh here.

With that said, his benching had no outcome on the game. None.

Last edited:
Make him empty the trash cans in the locker room for a week. Bench him, yeah he could'nt have helped on that first drive.......

Welkers benching had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. It was the complete and total meltdown of Brady that caused the loss. He couldn't figure out the Jets defense to save his life. Even Bill was yelling at him from the sidelines to throw the damn ball and quit make audibles to a running plays in the 4th quarter.

the running on the drive was effective. If you are saying that Brady was running because he couldn't figure out the defense and did not want to throw, well then maybe you have a point. The drive ended on three straight pass plays BTW.

...or could he have helped on that first drive?

Personnel probably changes play-calling. Look, there were plenty of mistakes to go around, uncharacteristic ones. We have a solid team, talented and the future looks awesome, lets be honest. So going forward we should be in good shape. The offensive line will continue to be required if Brady is to hang around for the next 3- 4 ish years. Hopefully the draft can address that (and pass rush for the love of god).

..and let's be honest, the jets are a bunch of loudmouths, they are gaining enemies by the day. But let's also give them SOME credit, as pathetic as their deameanor is.

Somone said let's find someone that can run the route tree and get rid of Welker??? Seriously? After the work him and 12 put in? Hold on a bit man. I don't think so.

I think Welker would have changed some play calling. Maybe you are throwing to somone else cause you are not throwing to him.

In the end we will soon find out what the deal was. Again, BB preaches until it comes out his wazoo what is best for the team. Does a lesson have to be taught according to our head coach? Probably. Now? IMO, probably not. bench him for the first game of next year or something.

Pretty easy for some random internet dude to be preaching what should have be done after the fact, I know.

In the end, one of the most important lessons to be learned is that there was a lessson to be learned. If at least it served a purpose, and we still lost, then at least it served a purpose...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing