PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Volin: Patriots Trade For Lions OT Mike Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Source: #Patriots have traded for #Lions OT Mike Williams. Came into the league as a TE. Pats tried to sign him off practice squad last year

Was an excellent blocking TE at Alabama.

Jeff Risdon:

Williams improved a lot, showed he has a future at tackle. Still probably not ready for more than being 4th T tho https://t.co/ATsKccqWjP

Any news what we paid for him?

FWIW, Williams is listed as a LT on the Ourlads Lions roster. A Chris Barker replacement I presume.

Good. I think we need some outside help considering that Cannon/Fleming haven't exactly set the world on fire as backup tackles. I actually thought that we may have drafted one this past April, rather than taking two guards--although that was before we really knew the situation with Connelly.

Boyce? T Wilson or Ebner? Any other guesses?

edit: A pick.

@FieldYates: As @BenVolin reported, the Patriots have traded for Lions OT Mike Williams. Detroit receive a draft pick in return, per league source.

I was really hoping he'd be a bit better of an athlete than Fleming, but looking at his pro day results, he's only marginally better, which with all the added weight probably is moot by now.

Reiss says we've been looking for OT help recently. Williams is now 6-6, 304lbs

Every time I get an update alert on my phone I'm hoping for a certain player announcement. Just hasn't happened yet.

Good. I think we need some outside help considering that Cannon/Fleming haven't exactly set the world on fire as backup tackles. I actually thought that we may have drafted one this past April, rather than taking two guards--although that was before we really knew the situation with Connelly.

Cannon was good to very good when Vollmer went down in 2013. He did not match that level of play in 2014.

Fleming was a rookie last year. I'm not giving up on him yet.

Boyce? T Wilson or Ebner? Any other guesses?

edit: A pick.

@FieldYates: As @BenVolin reported, the Patriots have traded for Lions OT Mike Williams. Detroit receive a draft pick in return, per league source.

Let's hope it's a 7th round pick.

Cannon was good to very good when Vollmer went down in 2013. He did not match that level of play in 2014.

Fleming was a rookie last year. I'm not giving up on him yet.

While I'm not suggesting "giving up" on anyone, Fleming has had some recent struggles in TC notes + preseason, and as you mentioned, Cannon did not have a season that would inspire hope.

As noted in my past comments, they are very young and this should change over time. In the immediate need sense however, I'm going to be concerned should one of Solder/Vollmer go down for any length of time. It doesn't seem like BB shares my concerns based on his lack of a draft pick, so that's probably a good thing.

Fleming and Cannon both checking their phones and hoping not to have a message from 'the turk' waiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes