Welcome to PatsFans.com

Belichick on McCourty

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by PatsChamp88, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm impressed with his versatility it's no wonder Belichick was high on him. I'm just as excited if not more for the second round today.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  2. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +420 / 35 / -25

#12 Jersey

Patriots wanted McCourty all along - Projo Pats Blog

I think this article really sums up his feelings on him. i am starting to warm up to the idea of him being a pat but the thought of dez bryant in dallas, demarius thomas in denver and jerry hughes in indy makes me sick.

3. The_Riddler

The_Riddler 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -2

Mark it down, Patriot nation will rue the fact that BB passed on Thomas and Bryant, both of those studs are going to be game breakers, either one would have stepped right in and made instant impacts and in true BB fashion, he passed.

BB drafted Terrence Wheatley in Round 2, he already has 3 decent to good CB's in (Bodden, Butler and Wilhite) who are young (Butler/Wilhite) with higher upside to get even better. I envisioned Bodden and Butler locking down the starting outside slots with Wilhite moving inside to the slot. So we basically drafted a guy with the 27th pick to challenge for time at nickel or dime and gun on ST. Why ? With so many needs, MORE glaring needs at other spots, Why ?

BB invested a 2nd rounder in Wheatley, I know he's been hurt, but he is still young and if he's healthy, there's your dime CB. Can someone explain why this pick was made given the other higher priority needs.

First round talent is drafted with the expectations to start unless you are drafted by a Final 4 roster, then you are drafted for depth. We aren't near that Final 4 roster.

Dez Bryant was our answer to Brandon Marshall and Santonio Holmes, and BB looked the other way. Watch what Bryant does in this league and from this point on, we can hammer BB for his idiocy.

4. borg

borg In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +607 / 27 / -29

It sucks having only 1 pick in the entire draft.

5. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

I was very high on Thomas and I think the Broncos got a hell of a receiver but I'm not so sure about Bryant and clearly other agree. Obviously you can't question his talent but I wouldn't be surprised if he has some off field issues after all he is Cowboy :)

6. JMarr

JMarr In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0

:rocker: I must be wearing some homer shades lately, but the more I hear the more I think this was a great pick. Nice job BB, now lets keep it rolling.

7. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I was surprised with the pick and am willing to wait out the entire draft. Thanks to guys like Kontra and others who have supplied excellent, detailed information, I am really starting to like this pick in a vacuum. My approval also gains steam by the fact that the turds on WEEI hate it.

8. satz

satz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Great return man and Nickel back emmmmm is it HOBB`s
    we trade Hobbs for 2 5`s and get Hobbs junior with the first .lol

9. Hercules Rockefeller

Hercules Rockefeller Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

Needs, needs. First time following a Pats draft? Need is not what they draft based on. This should not be a surprise.

As to the final bolded point, from this point on? There seems to be a tendency on your part to have been hammering away at him for his "idiocy" for some time now. Demaryius Thomas will not come back to bite them, especially with Tebow throwing him the ball.

McCourty may well start from day one, we do not know. He will at least compete for playing time, and I think Shawn Springs may want to start packing his bags.

Can't say I was any less surprised than you were at the choice, Riddler, but I am able to warm to it. There seems to be a tendency on your part to make up your mind, never ever change it, and bring up the fact that you haven't changed your mind over and over and over. No mention of James Sanders somewhere in your post? I think I recall that being part of the idiocy you love to hammer away at.

Relax, man, we'll have to wait and see. I don't recall everyone dancing in the streets after Mankins was drafted. I for one, had a puzzled look on my face. Hopefully McCourty can shut down those two talented receivers taken in front of him, and we can wait to rue Belichick's decisions.

10. satz

satz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

11. Hercules Rockefeller

Hercules Rockefeller Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

12. Tyler.Durden

Tyler.Durden Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think everyone else thinks there were other much more pressing need before another early round db, one scout said he expect there to be 31 cb taken in the draft with plenty of quality.

13. Lockdown06

Lockdown06 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

14. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +183 / 14 / -3

But there are only 3 guys in the entire draft with bodies/skills/athleticism like Bryant and Thomas.

One is left: Arrelious Benn, and he has BUSTO potential.

So, it doesn't matter how many picks you have if the players aren't there.

Only one Brandon Marshall/Vincent Jackson type is left.

I'll feel good if the Patriots pick him because it will probably mean they believe he can play (though of course they thought the same about Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson) but after watching him at the combine, he seems much more on the bust side of things (dropping balls, sloppy cuts).

15. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

BB did his homework with this pick and as Breer alluded to in his meltdown, Bill's developed a communicative relationship with Schiano and considers Rutgers' program to be among the best.

And for those who seem to have forgotten about tonight, BB sends his regards:
    Belichick pleased with first round - Extra Points - Boston.com

16. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

Key graf from that article:

I feel like this should be bolded, italicized, underscored, and written in 72 point red font for some on this board.

17. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +183 / 14 / -3

If Belichick thinks Rutgers' program is among the best, then we are sunk, sunk, sunk.

How can the top recruiter in the BE produce such mediocrity year after year.

Look at their schedule and results from the last few years.

I watch them a lot and Schiano is an ace recruiter, does an excellent job bringing talent to the program, but he does not do the kind of solid job of development that you would associate with Belichick.

That says nothing about McCourty since good players flourish regardless, but Schiano is a good guy who players love. He brings a lot of talent in.

Look at Anthony Davis. As talented as they come. Scouts everywhere question his football skills at this point.

18. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +565 / 22 / -5

#12 Jersey

You know, the more I read about this kid, the more intriguing he becomes. I wanted a pass rusher in the first round. I had no interest in any offensive player in the first. I wanted defense. Well we got defense, just not at the position that most of us thought was a great need, including me. It sounds like this kid can play. We will see.
    Today will be very intersting.

19. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Funny stuff. The Patriots need to learn from how Dallas and Denver on how to win superbowls.

20. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

Ray Rice worked out pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.