PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on McCourty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dez Bryant is NOT the answer to Holmes and Marshall. The first answer is McCourty. The second answer is a passrusher.

We might very well had a couple of more rings with a better secondary in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009.

You can believe that Bryant would add a lot as a #3 receiver in 2010. Belichick chose Holt. Belichick chose to improve the defense AS WE HAVE BEGGED HIM TO DO FOR FIVE YEARS.

Mark it down, Patriot nation will rue the fact that BB passed on Thomas and Bryant, both of those studs are going to be game breakers, either one would have stepped right in and made instant impacts and in true BB fashion, he passed.

BB drafted Terrence Wheatley in Round 2, he already has 3 decent to good CB's in (Bodden, Butler and Wilhite) who are young (Butler/Wilhite) with higher upside to get even better. I envisioned Bodden and Butler locking down the starting outside slots with Wilhite moving inside to the slot. So we basically drafted a guy with the 27th pick to challenge for time at nickel or dime and gun on ST. Why ? With so many needs, MORE glaring needs at other spots, Why ?

BB invested a 2nd rounder in Wheatley, I know he's been hurt, but he is still young and if he's healthy, there's your dime CB. Can someone explain why this pick was made given the other higher priority needs.

First round talent is drafted with the expectations to start unless you are drafted by a Final 4 roster, then you are drafted for depth. We aren't near that Final 4 roster.

Dez Bryant was our answer to Brandon Marshall and Santonio Holmes, and BB looked the other way. Watch what Bryant does in this league and from this point on, we can hammer BB for his idiocy.

I watch them a lot and Schiano is an ace recruiter, does an excellent job bringing talent to the program, but he does not do the kind of solid job of development that you would associate with Belichick.

That says nothing about McCourty since good players flourish regardless, but Schiano is a good guy who players love. He brings a lot of talent in.

I think you just answered your own question; maybe this is exactly what BB meant, sounds like Schiano has a knack for bringing in the talent and BB certainly has the knack for developing the qualities he needs to make the team better. Sounds like a good combo.

I was honestly surprised with this pick especially since we have good starters with Bodden, Butler, and Whilhite so I felt like we were gonna get a cornerback maybe later but with Sergio Kindle and Jared Odrick still on the board at positions of high needs I was surprised that I heard Devin McCourty. Well we will have to believe in Bill and hope he is a good as he thinks he is.

Edit: Also if he was gonna take a corner why not take Kyle Wilson?

Last edited:
Nice articles. Seems like a good kid, and a solid football player. I was shocked to see the pick. I was dissapointed too considering who else was still there, but there is still a lot of draft to go. I just hope Thomas or Bryant don't turn out to be the next Moss and we look back knowing we could have had them for a late first round pick. Never the less what's done is done. Devin seems like a good player, and I hope he flourishes and produces for us for years to come. At least we shouldn't have to worry about Welker returning punts anymore. Now lets go get some pass rushers. I'm excited about day 2.

Ray Rice worked out pretty well.

I didn't say Rutgers players sucked, did I?

Why must everyone take everything out of context?

I contested the idea that Rutgers was a top program.

Please people, stop it!

I didn't say Rutgers players sucked, did I?

Why must everyone take everything out of context?

I contested the idea that Rutgers was a top program.

Please people, stop it!

I didn't take anything out of context. I mean, the whole premise of the post was a bit fatuous anyway since we know BB would call Rutgers a top program even if he feels it isn't.

I was mainly referring to this line from your post:

How can the top recruiter in the BE produce such mediocrity year after year.

You're right that they haven't produced a ton of talent like the marquee programs, but they do have some talent floating around (Brackett, Rice, Britt, O'Hara). My point was largely tongue-in-cheek, so no need to be so sensitive about it.

1.) Ok, so the homers consistently tell us that BB knows better than everyone else, so questioning him is stupid. So, why the hell did the team need to draft yet another cornerback? If this kid busts out tomorrow, his being picked will have accomplished at least one thing: It will give the more objective posters a "scoreboard" response when the homers crack out that line of stupidity.

2.) Mayock has concerns about this kid's fluidity in transition.

3.) All of those people who are now defending this pick need to either show where they talked about need at CB prior to the draft or to stop riding the asses of those who don't like the pick.

4.) This is all just looking in a vacuum, and it's another reason the 3 day draft format sucks. It's likely that the team will take DE/OLB picks in round 2, and that will make the round 1 pick look much better. That context is missing right now. Once again the Ommissioner screws the pooch.

5.) DE
OLB
ILB
OG

Get 'er done, Bill.

Last edited:
I didn't take anything out of context. I mean, the whole premise of the post was a bit fatuous anyway since we know BB would call Rutgers a top program even if he feels it isn't.

I was mainly referring to this line from your post:

You're right that they haven't produced a ton of talent like the marquee programs, but they do have some talent floating around (Brackett, Rice, Britt, O'Hara). My point was largely tongue-in-cheek, so no need to be so sensitive about it.

Sorry to be so sensitive, but what so bugs me about this board pn all sides is the personalizing of opinions. Instead of just arguing the logic.

I've been a Belichick backer and against the arguments that see things so pessimistically most of the time. But I do feel pessimistic about the McCourty pick. Not because he is a bad player, but because I believe it implies something negative about our CBs already on the roster, and we've expended so much on those guys.

I also realize my earlier post might not have been as clear as I wanted it to be. When I wrote mediocrity, I was referring to results. Not the players themselves. I do think the players are developmentally stunted, but he does get a lot of talent.

I'm also a little leery of Belichick and his inside scoops, from Chad Jackson to Marquise Hill to Jerome Mincey, etc. His relationships with college coaches leave me a little cold, to be honest. It's great to get inside info but...

Put it this way. I'm a PSU fan, and Greg Schiano is considered by many a primary candidate for that position when Paterno retires. If they hire Schiano, I think I'll burn a photo I have with PSU AD Tim Curley!

1.) Ok, so the homers consistently tell us that BB knows better than everyone else, so questioning him is stupid. So, why the hell did the team need to draft yet another cornerback? If this kid busts out tomorrow, his being picked will have accomplished at least one thing: It will give the more objective posters a "scoreboard" response when the homers crack out that line of stupidity.

3.) All of those people who are now defending this pick need to either show where they talked about need at CB prior to the draft or to stop riding the asses of those who don't like the pick.

4.) This is all just looking in a vacuum, and it's another reason the 3 day draft format sucks. It's likely that the team will take DE/OLB picks in round 2, and that will make the round 1 pick look much better. That context is missing right now. Once again the Ommissioner screws the pooch.

5.) DE
OLB
ILB
OG

Get 'er done, Bill.

I still don't get how you list ILB as a need. Mayo, Guyton, Mckenzie is fine.

5.) DE
OLB
ILB
OG

Get 'er done, Bill.

This will be lost on people. Unfortunately the vast majority of the board apparently has no idea what a "vacuum" is.

I still don't get how you list ILB as a need. Mayo, Guyton, Mckenzie is fine.

Guyton is not a three down ILB. He's good in coverage and is suitable in passing situations but he's a liability against the run. Mayo is good but we have NO CLUE what the team has in McKenzie. A pick for an ILB would be a security pick should McKenzie not pan out.

Sorry to be so sensitive, but what so bugs me about this board pn all sides is the personalizing of opinions. Instead of just arguing the logic.

I've been a Belichick backer and against the arguments that see things so pessimistically most of the time. But I do feel pessimistic about the McCourty pick. Not because he is a bad player, but because I believe it implies something negative about our CBs already on the roster, and we've expended so much on those guys.

I also realize my earlier post might not have been as clear as I wanted it to be. When I wrote mediocrity, I was referring to results. Not the players themselves. I do think the players are developmentally stunted, but he does get a lot of talent.

I'm also a little leery of Belichick and his inside scoops, from Chad Jackson to Marquise Hill to Jerome Mincey, etc. His relationships with college coaches leave me a little cold, to be honest. It's great to get inside info but...

Put it this way. I'm a PSU fan, and Greg Schiano is considered by many a primary candidate for that position when Paterno retires. If they hire Schiano, I think I'll burn a photo I have with PSU AD Tim Curley!

That's fair enough. I mean, maybe BB actually believes Rutgers is a top program in the country. But somehow, I doubt it. Let's just say that if his close friend Urban Meyer were the head coach of the Tri-County Community College Cutlasses, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd call that program one of the best in the country as well.

5.) DE
OLB
ILB
OG

Get 'er done, Bill.

I agree with you re: the draft format, and for what it's worth I think the signs are looking positive:

Belichick indicated that the Patriots didn't believe that they needed to go with a pass-rusher, receiver or a tight end in the first round because there will be an opportunity to select those players who they consider high-value in the second round.

/crosses fingers

I agree with you re: the draft format, and for what it's worth I think the signs are looking positive:

/crosses fingers

I'm confident that BB will focus on the need positions throughout the draft, listening to every trade offer involving veterans, and also that he'll be peering intently at the upcoming cuts. I really think BB learned some lessons about humble pie over the course of the past year and change, and I'm confident that he'll be doing a great job throughout this offseason.

I'm confident that BB will focus on the need positions throughout the draft, listening to every trade offer involving veterans, and also that he'll be peering intently at the upcoming cuts. I really think BB learned some lessons about humble pie over the course of the past year and change, and I'm confident that he'll be doing a great job throughout this offseason.

Wow, somebody stopped by the 7-11 for a Kool-Aid Big Gulp this morning.

...just giving you a hard time. I agree, wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up all front seven in the 2nd round. I also wouldn't be surprised if they moved around to snag Golden Tate, as for some reason I suspect BB likes the guy.

people get hung up on the fact that wheatley is a second round pick, look where we were picking and look at the quality of that draft.

i strongly think that year is what caused bb to ensure that he is able to make multiple picks at the top of the talent pool than wait till the latter stages of each round to see what can be got.

1.) Ok, so the homers consistently tell us that BB knows better than everyone else, so questioning him is stupid. So, why the hell did the team need to draft yet another cornerback?

5.) DE
OLB
ILB
OG

Get 'er done, Bill.

You make some good points Deus.

But there are only 3 guys in the entire draft with bodies/skills/athleticism like Bryant and Thomas.

One is left: Arrelious Benn, and he has BUSTO potential.

So, it doesn't matter how many picks you have if the players aren't there.

Only one Brandon Marshall/Vincent Jackson type is left.

I'll feel good if the Patriots pick him because it will probably mean they believe he can play (though of course they thought the same about Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson) but after watching him at the combine, he seems much more on the bust side of things (dropping balls, sloppy cuts).

The Patriots won 3 Super Bowls without a Brandon Marshall/Vincent jackson type WR. They have won zero Super Bowls in three years WITH that type (Randy Moss).

The Patriots won 3 Super Bowls without a Brandon Marshall/Vincent jackson type WR. They have won zero Super Bowls in three years WITH that type (Randy Moss).

The fact they have Moss at all tells me the Patriots are not averse to this type WR.

I agree with you that the smallish route runners are successful with Brady, but after letting him Branch go, and replacing him with Gaffney/Caldwell, and then going after Moss...

I'd like to see a stud developed in this offense.

5.) DE
OLB
ILB
OG

Get 'er done, Bill.
1. "Objective?" Well now, if you're objective I must be a Supreme Court Justice. :p

2. NFL Videos: Mayock's top five Watch the scroll at the top around the 4 minute mark, I'll give you one guess who Mayock had ranked as his #3 CB. Mayock vs. Mayock, I wonder who wins?

3. See my publicist: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...yourself-off-any-bridges-yet.html#post1798105

4. I haven't made my mind up about the three-day format, I was skeptical when it was announced, but I'm waiting to see how things go. I hope you aren't operating in a "vacuum," not having gone through this format before and all.

5. Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing