Welcome to PatsFans.com

Belichick Chose Bodden Over Hobbs

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 26 / -4

Belichick brought in Bodden to start in 2009. Bodden might stay, but is likely to look for a big contract elsewhere in 2010.

Belichick has three youngsters to hopefully become the future starters and nickel.

And finally Belichick paid big bucks for Springs to play a major role in 2009 and perhaps for the couple of more years of his contract. Springs will get over $4.5M this year.
    =============================
    Hobbs was replaced for 2009, pure and simple. He was not part of the future.
    =============================
    BOTTOM LINE: JUDGEMENTS BY BELICHICK
    1) Bodden would likely be better in 2009 than Hobbs.
    2) Springs is good enough to start or play nickel in 2009 and 2010.
    3) Two of the three youngsters will be ready for major roles by 2010, one in 2009.
    ==============================
    The overhaul of the secondary has been completed. We now have our core seven defensive backs for 2010, four corners and three safeties. We also have some help for 2009: Bodden at corner, and McGowan or Tank Williams at safety.

2. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

Link?

3. mgteich

Ratings:
    +356 / 26 / -4

You want a link for my analysis? :)

4. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

It's speculation on top of speculation. That's why I asked if there was a link. I thought you'd found something to back it up, since you'd made the claim in a thread already.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. mgteich

Ratings:
    +356 / 26 / -4

Which claim are you objecting to?

6. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

I didn't mean it that way, which is why I edited it. It looked confrontational and I didn't intend that. However, there is speculation which you use as a jumping off point and a basis for your entire theory, and that's not how your thread title made it seem.

7. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +438 / 9 / -14

8. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

9. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +438 / 9 / -14

Ok. Your response is still dumb, though.

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Works for me. Bodden has a career high 6 INT, Hobbs' is 3. Bodden was also a VERY solid cover guy in Cleveland and we need plays in the backfield. We lost them when we lost Samuel.

11. FarScapeR

FarScapeR On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought Bodden was actually replacing Asante and Hobbs would remain until Wheatley/Wilhite stepped up to take the starting job. Then the pats blew that notion to hell when the got Butler. I think Belichick would have shopped Hobbs much earlier if he was planning to replace him with Bodden.

12. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +1,756 / 78 / -77

Disable Jersey

Oh, please. Go back to your ridiculously wrong assertions about dog fighting.

13. FarScapeR

FarScapeR On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Dogfighting is sooo two years ago.

14. mgteich

Ratings:
    +356 / 26 / -4

I agree that Belichick might have gotten more if shopped Hobbs earlier. However, I think that first Belichick wanted to be sure that he drafted a top CB. Apparently, Hobbs might have been kept for another year if that hadn't happened. This is speculation. If Belichick really had faith in Bodden, Springs, Wheatley and Wilhite, he should have been willing to move Hobbs earlier. Perhaps we might have gotten a 3rd (or a 2010 2nd) instead of the 2 fifths that became a 4th and a 6th.

I'm not sure this is much of a big deal though. Belichick waited until he had five solid corners before he dumped Hobbs. I'm fine with that. Actually, I'm surprised that he didn't wait until AFTER the draft to trade Hobbs. He could have used one of the 3rds he traded to move down for the 4th and 6th. I'm not sure the end result would have been all that different.

Besides, it's sort of fun sending our players to an NFC team for a change.

15. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +983 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

Let's just hope that Bodden (now the king of CB's as assessed by most at patsfans.com) can live up to these great expectations. He still has to come in, learn the defense, stay injury free, and actually prove himself. A couple weeks ago, Hobbs was leaving soon to make millions, and we couldn't afford him to the growing monetary CB market--something most of us agreed on. Lots of teams passed on Bodden for whatever reason, or he'd be making top money too. There was some reason why he didn't take BB's initial offer, most likely it was to shop around for a better deal. That's pretty much common sense. He decided to come here for damn near the vet minimum. Now in a somewhat backwards world, most are somehow assuming that Bodden is the one with the greater upside, and Hobbs was overrated (although most agreed he was a fine #2 CB, and will surely demand good money in the FA market)

We're already assuming Bodden may leave for 'big' money next yr, etc??? The guy hasn't played a down here yet, and now he may even be too good for our ever improving backfield already?

I hope he works out wonderfully, but I will wait to see him on the field. He may have been brought in for competition/depth. Springs is the one who got the bigger loot, he is obviously a starter. Maybe BB likes Wheatley on the other side, instead of Bodden. A lot of assumptions are starting to be made, that's all--not to be overly argumentative

16. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No, please don't wait to see him play. Please join the ever growing "bodden is the second coming of Ty Law" club. :D

I'm not even sure why we needed another thread that is nothing more than someone speculating on why BB traded Hobbs. :disagreement:

17. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +48 / 7 / -2

so Deltha O'Neal had 9 INT in 2001 and 10 INT in 2005 do you think he played better then hobbs

18. supafly

Ratings:
    +983 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

Good point, sometimes it's not always the numbers.

19. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -8

#51 Jersey

Deltha didnt fit well in the Patriots system, but Bodden had success in a similar system with the Browns when Crennel was head coach! I could see Bodden making a bigger difference than Hobbs and Oneal!

20. supafly

Ratings:
    +983 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

I agree man, no one knows why BB traded him, and we'll probably never know. Everyone's gonna have their various opinions on whether or not Hobbs lived up to their expectations, etc. Certainly not worth arguing or getting all riled up about.

We've lived through some WTF? moments before, so I'm gonna trust our coach on this one, although I'm not sure about some aspects of it totally. I just find this love for Leigh Bodden somewhat ironic, that's all. I hope he does work out, I really do. But I am not 100% on him quite yet, but that's just my personal opinion--and everyone has their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.