PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick Blind Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean against the Dolphins, when he immediately threw a pick 6 against a team who would only win one game all year which would lead to him getting yanked while still up 21 because he can't be trusted with that lead? Yeah, that guys' definitely a viable backup. :rolleyes:

When you were having your private conversation with Belichick, is that what he told you? Tell me, has any quarterback other than Matt Cassel ever thrown an interception?

It's been pretty risky, but the fact is, ALMOST exclusively, any team who loses its starting QB is F'd in the NFL so a little bit it's "who cares?"

It's been pretty risky, but the fact is, ALMOST exclusively, any team who loses its starting QB is F'd in the NFL so a little bit it's "who cares?"

That's basically my opinion exactly...You can say "well look at Brady." But that situation was incredibly unique in that we had a HOF QB sitting there, and nobody knew it. If you don't have a big drop between your starter and backup qb, then you don't have a good starting qb, in which case you're probably not a very good football team in the first place.

I disagree. I think a championship-caliber team like the Patriots can still win it all if Brady goes down provided there's a competent backup waiting in the wings who can manage the game. I share the concern of many here that we don't have such a player on the roster as we did previously via Testaverde, Flutie, Miller, Huard and Bledsoe. Anyone here think Cassel/Gutierrez could step in at a crucial moment like Bledsoe did in the 2002 AFC Championship game at Pittsburgh and get the job done? I'd feel MUCH better with a reliable veteran backup QB on this team. You've gt to figure that eventually, Brady is going to get nicked and miss time.

I disagree. I think a championship-caliber team like the Patriots can still win it all if Brady goes down provided there's a competent backup waiting in the wings who can manage the game. I share the concern of many here that we don't have such a player on the roster as we did previously via Testaverde, Flutie, Miller, Huard and Bledsoe. Anyone here think Cassel/Gutierrez could step in at a crucial moment like Bledsoe did in the 2002 AFC Championship game at Pittsburgh and get the job done? I'd feel MUCH better with a reliable veteran backup QB on this team. You've gt to figure that eventually, Brady is going to get nicked and miss time.

Agreed. I just don't see the allegedly competent vet QB that's available that we haven't signed. Those players cited were available and were signed. The 2008 market is different.

I share the concern of many here that we don't have such a player on the roster as we did previously via Testaverde, Flutie, Miller, Huard and Bledsoe.

Depends if you're talking spot duty in one game, or play a month. And for the record I don't believe the Pats could have won over the course of a month with any of those players except Bledsoe (and that was a unique situation). If you think the Pats could plug Jim Miller in there and win a playoff game, that's your opinion. I just think you couldn't be more wrong.

Depends if you're talking spot duty in one game, or play a month. And for the record I don't believe the Pats could have won over the course of a month with any of those players except Bledsoe (and that was a unique situation). If you think the Pats could plug Jim Miller in there and win a playoff game, that's your opinion. I just think you couldn't be more wrong.

You don't think Miller/Flutie/Vinny/Huard could've won two or three out of four with this team? We'd have a helluva better chance winning a playoff game with a guy like Miller managing the offense than Cassel or Gutierrez. The importance of experience is amplified come playoff time.

Agreed. I just don't see the allegedly competent vet QB that's available that we haven't signed. Those players cited were available and were signed. The 2008 market is different.

Well, the Steelers just signed TWO of them. There's got to be others floating around out there.

Last edited:
You named only one team from the Salary Cap era, and that was a Patriots team that only had the situation because of Bledsoe's injury. The next season, that duo was no more.

Also, the Pats did not have a journeyman experienced QB backing up the pro-bowler Bledsoe. They had a 2nd year, 6th round draft pick experiment, Tom who?

If during spring camp of 2001 you had asked 100 people who followed football if the Pats could make the playoffs if Bledsoe went down and they had to rely on kid from Michigan -- 99 of them would have said no. The only person who would have said yes is named Bill Belichick.

Last edited:
Also, the Pats did not have a journeyman experienced QB backing up the pro-bowler Bledsoe. They had a 2nd year, 6th round draft pick experiment, Tom who?

If during spring camp of 2001 you had asked 100 people who followed football if the Pats could make the playoffs if Bledsoe went down and they had to rely on kid from Michigan -- 99 of them would have said no. The only person who would have said yes is named Bill Belichick.

98 of them. MoLewisRocks and I are at least two I went to training camp a lot that summer in Smithfield and Brady SO outplayed The Statue, who the previous season took us to something like 5-11.

That's basically my opinion exactly...You can say "well look at Brady." But that situation was incredibly unique in that we had a HOF QB sitting there, and nobody knew it. If you don't have a big drop between your starter and backup qb, then you don't have a good starting qb, in which case you're probably not a very good football team in the first place.

In my initial post, I forgot to mention Boston's own Todd Collins, who last year came on in relief of Jason Campbell and won four straight games to lead the Redskins into the playoffs. He was a free agent in the off season, and according to today's Washington Post, received interest from only one other NFL team, Jacksonville. He is now back with the Skins and led them to an exhibition victory yesterday.

Is Cassell preferable to Collins?

Are you guys really saying that there is no one available (or so soon to be available) who would be better able than Cassel lead the team for a game or two (over even a series or two)?

We are not talking about an additional roster spot. We are talking about Cassel's (and Gute's) roster spot. Belichick thought so much of their prospects that he drafted a QB higher than anyone drafted at QB in the last decade. O'Connell is the developmental QB and a good one, and a solid #3.

Why shouldn't we have a solid #2 who can step in if needed? Do we really need two roster spots for developmental QB's when we have Brady our QB? We're not GB after all.

I agree with the original post. My plan would be to
1) Sign a veteran.
2) Waive or trade Cassel.
3) Cut Gutierrez in the last cut and attempt to sign him to the Practice Squad or sign some other rookie or 2nd year player to the Practice Squad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand