PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Patriots could have over $70 million in cap space next season … what are they up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like your thinking but I can't see either side comfortable with those terms.

I’m not saying it will happen, simply that it’s the easiest way for both sides to avoid dead money if Brady decides to hang them up before he hits 45. And it’s not “ insane” as the Saints and Brees constructed a similar deal a year ago.

And I know you weren’t the one calling it “ insane.”

I’m not saying it will happen, simply that it’s the easiest way for both sides to avoid dead money if Brady decides to hang them up before he hits 45. And it’s not “ insane” as the Saints and Brees constructed a similar deal a year ago.

It's really a tough situation. I think there is universal agreement Tom is "worth" $30m per year but he's never been paid that and seemingly he's been ok with it. My belief is Tom wants to be treated fairly and the team to respect his commitment and accomplishments (translation: fair money and more than a 1 year deal)

To me, it's clear the team is taking a wait and see approach and have no interest allocating 15% + of the cap to the QB position or run the risk of carrying a ton of dead money if Tom suddenly stops playing.

So insane that the 2nd best QB in football over the past decade agreed to the same type of deal in New Orleans only a year ago.
No that’s not insane at all. Because he didn’t.

The question of how to avoid dead money if Brady changes his mind and decides to retire was asked, this is the answer. 30 million a year in salary each season he decides to play is the answer.
Not it’s not because you are making an unreasonable demand. You might as well say he should sign for the vet minimum.

So since Brees did NOT sign such a deal does that make you agree your argument is terrible? Here it is AFAIN

Drew Brees signed a two year contract with the Saints on March 13, 2018. Brees received $27 million guaranteed including a $13.5 million signing bonus and a $3.3 million first year roster bonus. If Brees is on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2019 league year he will earn a $11.95 million roster bonus. The contract contains a voidable contract year for proration purposes in 2020. The signing bonus used prevents forfeiture in the event of retirement at the end of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST