PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Brian Waters holdout for personal reasons and more $

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering why this other team is so frequently mentioned as the Texans.

Waters lives less than an hour from Dallas, but about 4 hours from Houston. Although I can see the appeal of the Texans possibly being an AFC contender, Dallas could be in the mix in the NFC if things fell right. An upgrade to their OL wouldn't hurt them (their starting RG went to Bentley!). Also, didn't I read somewhere recently that the Texans had to make some last minute contract changes just to under the cap?

If a trade is the only alternative, on paper, Dallas makes more sense, IMO. And the Pats would be dealing him out of the conference. Also, Jerry Jones is bold enough to make such a move for a chance at winning.

Last edited:
Just wondering why this other team is so frequently mentioned as the Texans.

Waters lives less than an hour from Dallas, but about 4 hours from Houston. Although I can see the appeal of the Texans possibly being an AFC contender, Dallas could be in the mix in the NFC if things fell right. An upgrade to their OL wouldn't hurt them (their starting RG went to Bentley!). Also, didn't I read somewhere recently that the Texans had to make some last minute contract changes just to under the cap?

If a trade is the only alternative, on paper, Dallas makes more sense, IMO. And the Pats would be dealing him out of the conference. Also, Jerry Jones is bold enough to make such a move for a chance at winning.

Texans have a much better chance of making SB in the AFC than Cowboys in that division IMO

I wonder how many of you in here,if you were the proud father and husband of a happy family to be taken away for half a year and not see your wife and kids for the sole purpose of playing a game that you have already accomplished so much in with nothing more to prove.

I personally would have done the same thing.....the Patriots? or playing closer to my beloved family or not playing at all.....hmmmmmm is it really a hard choice?

Pats fans who want him back regardless of anything else but to help this OL are being a little selfish if what Waters truly wants is to be close to his family regardless of any contract he previously signed here.

I think the Patriots know what the story is and are not try anymore to persuade him away from his family....Family is always first for some and it is in this case and I respect Brian even more than when he played here for his decision.

How about turning that around? How many people here would step away from their beloved family for 5 months to earn 2+ million dollars? Where this absence would earn enough money, if invested soundly, for most people to have modest financial security. Also consider: within that 5 months he will visit several times with his family and the family can/will visit him several times. Also consider; the organization allowed him to remain with his family for an additional 4 or 5 weeks while 53 others were not extended that additional time. Also consider: at the end of that 5 months he will be free to be with his family, with financial security, for the rest of his life (or the length his family remains together).
Look, if Waters doesn't want to be away from his family? I can understand that (probably more poignantly than many). Hey, he has earned enough money/financial stability to be able to take a pass on 5 months away from the family and 2+ million. So if Brian Waters has personal turmoil that requires him to be home, he should stay home. Or if Brian Waters simply wants to be home and be with his family, he should stay home. But when that theoretical turmoil and/or simple want is financially negotiable, please SPARE me the words 'poor Brian Waters' and 'missing his beloved family'. They are not applicable given the circumstances.....

Texans have a much better chance of making SB in the AFC than Cowboys in that division IMO

Yes, but I am trying to see it from Waters perspective of supposedly strong desire to be living at home. Not viable living four hours away, but possible commuting 45 minutes daily.

It's two instances of a side agreeing to a deal that puts the other side into a position of reliance, and then deciding they don't want to stay in the deal even before a game is played, and pulling out, leaving the other side high and dry, and with few palatable options.

Same/same

You can play all the games with it you want. It is what it is.

there's no games here......he's under contract, the pats offered him more money, no offseason program and no training camp.....this is no different than a 3rd year guy trying to get out from under his rookie deal.....he signed a contract and he either plays for the pats or he doesn't play.

as for hoyer, he simply turned out to not be good enough.

basically, what you're saying is that the pats need to get down to their 53 in the beginning of august so that all the guys they will cut have a chance to hook on somewhere else. if hoyer had any value, he'd be on someone else's roster right now

Yes, but I am trying to see it from Waters perspective of supposedly strong desire to be living at home. Not viable living four hours away, but possible commuting 45 minutes daily.

I certainly think that it's a fair and good question, especially since Denton is a lot closer to Dallas than Houston.

If Waters would be traded to anyone, we can all safely assume that Belichick would contact the Cowboys over the Texans. He won't trade him to HOU this year. It wouldn't make sense.

How about turning that around? How many people here would step away from their beloved family for 5 months to earn 2+ million dollars? Where this absence would earn enough money, if invested soundly, for most people to have modest financial security. Also consider: within that 5 months he will visit several times with his family and the family can/will visit him several times. Also consider; the organization allowed him to remain with his family for an additional 4 or 5 weeks while 53 others were not extended that additional time. Also consider: at the end of that 5 months he will be free to be with his family, with financial security, for the rest of his life (or the length his family remains together).
Look, if Waters doesn't want to be away from his family? I can understand that (probably more poignantly than many). Hey, he has earned enough money/financial stability to be able to take a pass on 5 months away from the family and 2+ million. So if Brian Waters has personal turmoil that requires him to be home, he should stay home. Or if Brian Waters simply wants to be home and be with his family, he should stay home. But when that theoretical turmoil and/or simple want is financially negotiable, please SPARE me the words 'poor Brian Waters' and 'missing his beloved family'. They are not applicable given the circumstances.....

I am with you on this one.

I am with you on this one.

I guess it would depend on how much money you had already made and whether it was invested wisely. And how many concussions and other injuries you had already compiled and what the difference of risking a few more was really worth after taxes. I have a friend with early onset alzheimers. No family to provide for, was a six figure exec prior to diagnosis at 57. Had to have home companion help by 60, forced into assisted living at 62, in a locked memory impaired unit at 65 due to global aphasia. Medical plans don't pay a nickel for that kind of care. Nor is it tax deductible. It runs around $8500 per month and climbs as the care level increases. Had over a million in investments and a $385K long term care plan to supplement the $3000 per month in disability and retirement benefits. We're hoping it lasts until the end or close to it...although she is otherwise healthy as a horse so it could be a long while yet.

How about turning that around? How many people here would step away from their beloved family for 5 months to earn 2+ million dollars?
I'm not sure how much you make, but I know I make nowhere close to this amount and that would represent a huge amount of my earnings over the next 10-120 years. Not to mention, I think my wife would have no problems kicking me out the door for 5 months even if i was to double my current salary.

For Waters, this amount is probably alongthe lines of normal pay and he may already have "enough". Still, I don't see how a little bit (20-30%) more money makes that big a difference if being away fro the family or health is an issue.

I second this, as you made the point better than me. I had to take a job for 3months (and could have been longer) at a point when my family couldn't go with me, and--which probably goes without saying--at far less compensation than Brian Waters. As you say, if he wants to stay at home, that's certainly his right. But it's great for him that he's able to make that choice and leave that kind of money on the table.

Me thinks he's using his family as a negotiating tool. Either you want to work or not...

Pay the man! The Pats don't go to the SB without him last season. They have plenty of cash left under the cap. Give me a break. There is no reason to be so cheap!

Pay the man! The Pats don't go to the SB without him last season. They have plenty of cash left under the cap. Give me a break. There is no reason to be so cheap!

You're impugning that Waters is holding out for money.
We don't know that.
Maybe he wants to play locally for family reasons.
And maybe not.
We have heard nada from him or his agent.
Strange.

Last edited:
You're impugning that Waters is holding out for money.
We don't know that.
Maybe he wants to play locally for family reasons.
And maybe not.
We have heard nada from him or his agent.
Strange.

Don't feed the Felgerites.

YEAH! Pay the man. Give him whatever he wants. And Welker too. If the Patriots had any class they'd move the team to Texas for the year, to save the Waters family. The Pats really suck , The Kraft family knows nothing about business and BB and crew clearly are rotten human beings.

Give the players anything and everything all the time!

Duh. :bricks:

Last edited:
YEAH! Pay the man. Give him whatever he wants. And Welker too. If the Patriots had any class they'd move the team to Texas for the year, to save the Waters family. The Pats really suck , The Kraft family knows nothing about business and BB and crew clearly are rotten human beings.

Give the players anything and everything all the time!

Duh. :bricks:

ZOMG! Truth to Power! Eleventy!!11!!11!! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Heh....... Are you auditioning for Felger's writing staff, or the Boston Globe's?

If Waters decides he does not want to retire, does that mean that he has to play for whatever BB decides to pay him this season ? Waters has incurred $30,000 per day fines, for not reporting, that have more than eaten up his entire 2012 $1.4 million salary.

His financial leverage seems to have completely disappeared.

I second this, as you made the point better than me. I had to take a job for 3months (and could have been longer) at a point when my family couldn't go with me, and--which probably goes without saying--at far less compensation than Brian Waters. As you say, if he wants to stay at home, that's certainly his right. But it's great for him that he's able to make that choice and leave that kind of money on the table.

At this point of the conversation, I would be remiss if I did not say...

Let us compare your situation or that of Waters to those who in the defense of freedom DEPLOY for up to 1 YEAR with usually not more than one 2-3 week opportunity at the 6-month point to see their family. NOT FOR SOME GENEROUS COMPENSATION package; but rather for the OPPORTUNITY TO RISK THEIR LIVES in the pursuit of the enemies of America GIVING THEIR LIVES IN SUPPORT OF THEIR AZZ-BACKWARD CAUSE.

(PS: at this time of assault on Americans overseas - please say a prayer. thx.)

From that perspective, I respect Mr. Waters right to choose; but do not have tons of sympathy.
(multi-millions buys a lot of plane tix or skype time)

That said, he is NOT apparently going to the media and whining about this to put pressure on the Pats. So IMO, he is comfortable with the situation - maybe not optimal for him; but not the worst outcome.

From BB's end he maybe doesn't like it and would optimally prefer to have him playing; BUT So as long as he is not a cap hit to the team, not a distraction (media & team chemistry) then is probably a situation he thinks he can live with to have an all-pro on the shadow roster if he has an injury problem.

Last edited:
At this point of the conversation, I would be remiss if I did not say...

Let us compare your situation or that of Waters to those who in the defense of freedom DEPLOY for up to 1 YEAR with usually not more than one 2-3 week opportunity at the 6-month point to see their family. NOT FOR SOME GENEROUS COMPENSATION package; but rather for the OPPORTUNITY TO RISK THEIR LIVES in the pursuit of the enemies of America GIVING THEIR LIVES IN SUPPORT OF THEIR AZZ-BACKWARD CAUSE.

(PS: at this time of assault on Americans overseas - please say a prayer. thx.)

From that perspective, I respect Mr. Waters right to choose; but do not have tons of sympathy.
(multi-millions buys a lot of plane tix or skype time)

That said, he is NOT apparently going to the media and whining about this to put pressure on the Pats. So IMO, he is comfortable with the situation - maybe not optimal for him; but not the worst outcome.

From BB's end he maybe doesn't like it and would optimally prefer to have him playing; BUT So as long as he is not a cap hit to the team, not a distraction (media & team chemistry) then is probably a situation he thinks he can live with to have an all-pro on the shadow roster if he has an injury problem.

Well said. Thanks for posting this.

Yep, this is an issue that hits home a bit more closely for you/I/road warriors (which is not meant to say others don't/wouldn't miss their families). I'm away for a total of about 6 months a year (for the past 4 or 5 years). It's a choice I make for a modestly better and more stable financial picture for the family. While it isn't even slightly in the Brain Waters financial security range, it still remains a similar choice to Waters. I definitely could go with less money/stability and take a desk job closer to home -- but I make my choice and live with the +/- of it. To take the Waters road as my own would be to go to my manager, say I need more money to continue to live on the road half the year, my manager then agrees, I then agree to be back on the road on X date, my manager schedules that time with a big project -- then just days before the start of the project I say I'm still not sure, but more money would help me see more clearly.
Playing business hardball? Absolutely. Maybe get even further ahead in dollars? Quite possibly. Cause for me to get empathy because I will be away from the family after working management over like a slick lawyer? I don't see that at all.....

Fyi, my posts are based on the theory that the Bedard story is true. I concede it very well may not be and concede I am speaking from an assumptive POV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News