PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Brian Waters holdout for personal reasons and more $

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know that for all of Felger's huffing and puffing. And all the other media speculation, I get the feeling that the door isn't closed on Brian Waters yet.

Because the Pats have remained mum, when they had every reason to throw Waters under the bus for letting him miss all that team stuff and then reneg on their deal. Because Waters hasn't whined about being a vastly under paid all pro. I'm thinking that they might have already worked out a compromise where Waters comes back in 2-4 weeks (in shape and on a per game basis) and plays out the season, first as depth, then as a starter that gives us the best chance of having our best OL for the Playoffs.

I know you're just being sarcastic, but I'll ask anyway: Do you think A-Gap penetration in the 2011 postseason was as much of a problem as it was in 2009 and 2010? What or who do you think contributed to that? IMO, Connolly at center and Waters are RG were huge proponents.

I would much rather have Waters playing now, and completely agree he was a huge part of the solidity of the line last season. And I'd want Connolly at center, as well. However I don't think the Pats should just blindly back up the Brinks truck and "just pay the man" which is a moronic statement.

The team has already upped his money once! Now they should just keep doing it until Waters tells his family "I'll see you in February"? If things like this happened in a vacuum, it might not matter that much, but they don't. Next season someone else will pull the same crap with the precedent being established.

Hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks he shows up and plays. If he doesn't - it is what it is. You do the best with what you've got.

MAYBE GET YOUR BUTT FIRED (assuming you are not irreplaceable or one of only 10 guys in the country [like Waters] who can do what you do at that level). ;) That is the more likely answer in the corporate world if you tried to pull that trick.

Or at least you would burn a bridge with your boss and your long-term security would be very much in question.

But you have to remember that an NFL career is short - so that makes all the dynamics different.

Ha! You corrected me quite well. Yes, while I am valuable because I opt for the road life (where most don't and/or won't), there is a good possibility I would be canned. :bricks:

This Waters situation is REALLY unfortunate. If the first game is an indication of the defense's (the run D) 2012 ability and the O's 2012 ability to open up the ground game (plus the logical assumption of a robust passing game), the addition of Waters is the proverbial straw that would break the competition's back. Which is not to say the Pats would be certain SB winners(obviously). It is to say when you have a robust Passing O, a robust Rushing O, a robust Rushing D, solid kicking, solid punting plus BB and McDaniels (even with a suspect Passing D) -- that kind of capability in that many areas in the current NFL means you are clearly above your competition. Obviously the lack of one O Lineman doesn't mean the Patriots won't be dominant ......but having Waters anchor Brady's protection sure would make solidify that.

Before the Patriots have any more dealings with Waters, I think they will
check out Cannon at right guard. He played 4 snaps at RG last week.
I expect him to have fewer snaps at RT this week and more at RG.

So, if Cannon is better than Connolly at RG, how does that help? You will then be short TWO backup OT's instead of one, with Vollmer prone to injuries.

Before the Patriots have any more dealings with Waters, I think they will
check out Cannon at right guard. He played 4 snaps at RG last week.
I expect him to have fewer snaps at RT this week and more at RG.

Too lazy to read through the whole thread, but what's really going on seems obvious to me. The story in the OP doesn't make sense because I think New England would have started fining him if he reneged on an agreement and asked for more money.

Someone has probably introduced this as the likely scenario, but it seems obvious there's a personal/family issue he doesn't want revealed to the public and he wants to return to football if/once it's resolved, and the Patriots are cooperating with it by being cryptic about the situation (which is the best way they could be handling it). There's probably nothing that can be done from New England's side at this point to resolve the issue other than wait.

As PFK has said, the Pats havent unloaded or "Luccino'd" him by feeding attacks about him to the local media, so they want him back when he is able. Otherwise we would be reading all sorts of negative crap about him.

Last edited:
Too lazy to read through the whole thread, but what's really going on seems obvious to me. The story in the OP doesn't make sense because I think New England would have started fining him if he reneged on an agreement and asked for more money.

Someone has probably introduced this as the likely scenario, but it seems obvious there's a personal/family issue he doesn't want revealed to the public and he wants to return to football if/once it's resolved, and the Patriots are cooperating with it by being cryptic about the situation (which is the best way they could be handling it). There's probably nothing that can be done from New England's side at this point to resolve the issue other than wait.

After taking a second look, I think your guess is a good one.

Not a peep from the Patriots, not a peep from Waters and no fines.....a seemingly odd and silent situation. One would think if this was about money, Waters' agent would be using the media.

So, again, I think your guess is a good one and -- if you are right -- Water's family situation gets better and allows him to join the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News