PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Brian Waters holdout for personal reasons and more $

Status
Not open for further replies.
In free agency, the team tendered Brian Hoyer at just under $2 million for this season, effectively preventing him from getting a job elsewhere. Then, before the season even began, they cut him loose. Hoyer is now out that money because it wasn't guaranteed, and he was cut late enough that it wasn't possible for him to get into a camp early and compete for a job. So, unless you've been railing against the Patriots for their treatment of players like Hoyer, blaming a player who decides he wants to change his mind is just being hypocritical.

Agreed, I have no problem with how either side has played their hand so far and I’m still hopeful that the Pats will find a way to lure him back before the Baltimore game.

When dealing with a troubled Waters it’s best to build bridges not walls.

I would trade him to Houston in a second.
For the right compensation.

Look, the Patriots traded Bledsoe to Buffalo. Bledsoe was a $100mm QB, our #1 overall pick, he was 28 or 29, with five years or so left. Buffalo was a division opponent. The compensation was a first-round pick.

If Waters won't play in New England, and will play in Texas, the question is whether a Texas team will pay the Patriots adequate compensation.

What's one year of an aging potential pro-bowl guard at low salary worth? What's it worth to the Patriots to strengthen a competitor for the AFC Championship?

Better trade him to Dallas. The difference was that Buffalo sucked and Belichick knew that Bledsoe wouldn't change that. Houston is already good, and Waters would make them even better. There's a very reasonable chance that the Pats will have to beat Houston in the playoffs to get to the Super Bowl.

Anyway. Doesn't sound like this one is getting resolved soon

By most accounts the Pats offered Waters a raise and accommodate his family life. I don't think people can really blame them no matter how much Felger and his cronies have tried and will continue to try.

Either this will get worked out and Waters come back or Waters will retire after a Pro Bowl season last year. Those seem like the only two options available.

But it is time to move on.

Better trade him to Dallas. The difference was that Buffalo sucked and Belichick knew that Bledsoe wouldn't change that. Houston is already good, and Waters would make them even better. There's a very reasonable chance that the Pats will have to beat Houston in the playoffs to get to the Super Bowl.

Your point is well taken. I have always hated trading players within your own conference, even more so within your own division. On far too many occasions it comes back to bite you in the ass.

If they agreed to a pay raise and waiver from practice and he wants more money now, bye bye. Dollars are not personal reasons.

I wonder how many of you in here,if you were the proud father and husband of a happy family to be taken away for half a year and not see your wife and kids for the sole purpose of playing a game that you have already accomplished so much in with nothing more to prove.

I personally would have done the same thing.....the Patriots? or playing closer to my beloved family or not playing at all.....hmmmmmm is it really a hard choice?

Pats fans who want him back regardless of anything else but to help this OL are being a little selfish if what Waters truly wants is to be close to his family regardless of any contract he previously signed here.

I think the Patriots know what the story is and are not try anymore to persuade him away from his family....Family is always first for some and it is in this case and I respect Brian even more than when he played here for his decision.

If Waters ends up digging his heels in and not playing, he's going to regret it years from now when he's TOO OLD to make such a decision. I can't recall for sure, but I think the Pats accommodated another old pro years ago (Roman Pfeiffer?), giving him two or three days off a week to travel and be with his family. I'd have to think there is some way this could be worked out if Waters indeed is willing -- which he really might not be.

If Waters ends up digging his heels in and not playing, he's going to regret it years from now when he's TOO OLD to make such a decision. I can't recall for sure, but I think the Pats accommodated another old pro years ago (Roman Pfeiffer?), giving him two or three days off a week to travel and be with his family. I'd have to think there is some way this could be worked out if Waters indeed is willing -- which he really might not be.

it depends on whether his issue was really more about family or money.....if it was about family, there will be no regret

Nope. Don't think he will be back this year unless pats get a bad injury on the oline and have to give him the $$

You never know. I am not holding my breath, but anything can happen. Maybe Waters realizes his days are numbered as a player and the Pats have a legitimate shot at a ring (which he doesn't have yet) and caves in and comes in and works out a deal that he flies home Sunday night and flies back in Wednesday morning like Phifer did his last year here. Maybe the Pats cave and give him a pay bump to come in.

I wouldn't bet on it, but stranger things have happened.

You never know. I am not holding my breath, but anything can happen. Maybe Waters realizes his days are numbered as a player and the Pats have a legitimate shot at a ring (which he doesn't have yet) and caves in and comes in and works out a deal that he flies home Sunday night and flies back in Wednesday morning like Phifer did his last year here. Maybe the Pats cave and give him a pay bump to come in.

I wouldn't bet on it, but stranger things have happened.

I think the only way the pats will cave is if someone on the Oline gets hurt for a long period of time. If everyone is healthy...they won't cave. They did pretty good on sunday. Lets see how they do this week

Last edited:
I think the only way the pats will cave is if someone on the Oline gets hurt for a long period of time. If everyone is healthy...they won't cave. They did pretty good on sunday. Lets see how they do this week

I don't think they will cave on money per sea, but Kraft could step in and offer Waters the use of his jet on home games to fly home right after the game to come back on Wednesday or something like that.

I doubt this will happen, but anything is possible.

If Waters ends up digging his heels in and not playing, he's going to regret it years from now when he's TOO OLD to make such a decision.

Yeah, exactly. Day after day, year after year, with the family. For God's sake, they'll be fine for awhile, go play some football.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he gets mad at somebody in his family this season...

the 2 are not necessarily the same..... with hoyer, a sancioned process was followed. when the pats tendered him, they assumed he would remain ahead of mallet on the depth chart.....at a minimum, be able to provide something that mallett could not. since their performances could not set them apart, why pay the guy 2M and take up a roster spot?

with waters, he is under contract, and the pats still upped the money.......I don't blame him for not showing up, but I don't think the pats should just release him so that he might play for someone the pats will have to contend with come playoff time, the texans, who he would instantly upgrade.

The only significant difference is that one is the team and one is the player.

I believe it was Bedard himself last week who eluded to a possible lack of trust. Probably mutual. Could be the team feels that despite the value they got from the first year of the signing they wouldn't top it this season. And perhaps the player who doesn't really know them started reading some tea leaves and decided he could show up and get screwed and find himself playing the role of $900K vet. min. insurance to whatever they felt they sufficiently developed during the off season.

The new contract is all about shifting risk. No team wants to display weakness during negotiations, especially if the management is about to act contrary to their fundamental belief that contracts are binding. The Pats approached this new agreement with the "we're giving you something, you must give us something"....and this is for Waters to assume more risk for his extra dollars. I imagine the trust issue stems from the 46 game day roster clause and apprhension that the Pats might play games to save coin. Personally, I view BB as the coach that treats vets with more respect than than all others

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes