PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears re-sign Jay Cutler - 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed

Either Cutler sees the wizard to get him a heart, or the Bears just pissed away their future.

-No starting QBs in free agency
-Potentially two new patriot HCs in mcdaniels and obrien.

It's now or never to trade mallett.

I prefer to wait until after the playoffs ;)

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 35s
#Bears QB Jay Cutler’s contract: 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed.

Uhhh............

Uhhh............

Good god that's an unbelievably horrendous, awful, mind-numbingly stupid contract. Start McCown, use that money to add talent to fill in the gaps on D, and maybe draft another QB in the first two rounds, and the Bears would be right back in the playoffs most likely.

Cutler's 30 right now. That deal basically means that the Bears are stuck with him for 3 years, minimum, meaning they won't really be able to go looking for a QB until Cutler's 33.

Packers, Vikings and Lions fans are probably cheering like crazy about this.

A clearer example of why the Patriots are successful year after year while others wallow in mediocrity there never was.

It's really unbelievable, can someone go to a bears forum and bring us some quotes? I can't do it right now.

Somehow Matt Slauson turned into a decent player?

Didn't see that one coming.

The Bears are loaded with talent but were hurt by a lot of injuries (DT Henry Melton, DT Nate Collins, LB Lance Briggs, LB D.J. Williams, CB Peanut Tillman).

With all those players healthy the club probably believes that they have a realistic shot at going to the Super Bowl. Is that more likely going to happen with a 35-year old Josh McCown, or with Cutler?

As far as picking up somebody else in free agency, forget that; there is nothing out there.

As far as adding someone in the draft goes, you're going out on a limb hoping that a QB that is still around at #18 is going to lead you through the playoffs. Guys like Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel will be long gone before they pick, and the price to move up from that far back would be astronomical.

While I totally agree that the money paid Cutler is ludicrous, if Chicago doesn't pay him then they're looking at going into rebuild mode with an eye on 2015 or beyond; does that make sense with the roster that they have?

Unfortunately for them that crazy contract is what it cost nowadays for a veteran starting quarterback. The Bears have a lot of other free agents (Tillman, Melton, Collins, Corey Wooten) but they have a lot of cap space ($41 million before the Cutler signing), and can create more if they decide to get out from under the Julius Peppers contract ($9.8 million of cap space).

The Bears are loaded with talent but were hurt by a lot of injuries (DT Henry Melton, DT Nate Collins, LB Lance Briggs, LB D.J. Williams, CB Peanut Tillman)........

I'm sorry, not to be non-sympathetic or anything, but my eyes glazed over.

Is that like losing TE Aaaron Hernandez, DT Vince Wilfork, DT Tommy Kelley, LB Jerod Mayo, S Adrian Wilson, TE Rob Gronkowski.

....and going 12-4 with the 2nd seed in the playoffs?

Last edited:
The Bears are loaded with talent but were hurt by a lot of injuries (DT Henry Melton, DT Nate Collins, LB Lance Briggs, LB D.J. Williams, CB Peanut Tillman).

With all those players healthy the club probably believes that they have a realistic shot at going to the Super Bowl. Is that more likely going to happen with a 35-year old Josh McCown, or with Cutler?

As far as picking up somebody else in free agency, forget that; there is nothing out there.

As far as adding someone in the draft goes, you're going out on a limb hoping that a QB that is still around at #18 is going to lead you through the playoffs. Guys like Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel will be long gone before they pick, and the price to move up from that far back would be astronomical.

While I totally agree that the money paid Cutler is ludicrous, if Chicago doesn't pay him then they're looking at going into rebuild mode with an eye on 2015 or beyond; does that make sense with the roster that they have?

Unfortunately for them that crazy contract is what it cost nowadays for a veteran starting quarterback. The Bears have a lot of other free agents (Tillman, Melton, Collins, Corey Wooten) but they have a lot of cap space ($41 million before the Cutler signing), and can create more if they decide to get out from under the Julius Peppers contract ($9.8 million of cap space).

Sometimes you're better off just taking your medicine. I suspect that will be the case here.

-No starting QBs in free agency
-Potentially two new patriot HCs in mcdaniels and obrien.

It's now or never to trade mallett.

Then it's never because league rules prevent trading The Hammah now

They will be celebrating in the streets of Green Bay, Detroit and Minneapolis!

Sometimes you're better off just taking your medicine. I suspect that will be the case here.

I suspect you are correct. I think they were in a no-win, damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. Sign him and they're stuck with him as well as allocating too much real money and cap space; don't re-sign him and they're probably not in a situation to draft their quarterback of the future until 2015.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back