PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears re-sign Jay Cutler - 7 years, $126 million with $54M guaranteed

Tim Jennings is an interesting case. He may have been the worst corner in the league when he was with the Colts, but seems to have turned into a pretty good one in Chicago.

I'm guessing Henry Melton will be hitting the open market this year. Coming off a lost season at a position of need, he's a guy I'd like to see the Patriots take a very serious look at.

A average QB can get that much $$? I guess no SB for the bears for the next 7 years

So $18m gets you Cutler. While $22m gets you Rodgers:bricks:

A average QB can get that much $$? I guess no SB for the bears for the next 7 years

If Flacco and eli can win superbowls so can cutler and romo. All it takes is one hot team with an average qb to win a superbowl.

Guaranteed money same as Aaron Rodgers....:eek:

Though I agree with that they had little choice with little out there....didn't they learn anything from Flacco's 120 million contract...:bricks:

Should have let him test free agency out instead of offering him that contract...

If Flacco and eli can win superbowls so can cutler and romo. All it takes is one hot team with an average qb to win a superbowl.

Ravens aren't going to win another Superbowl with Flacco's contract hamstringing them.

Flacco won while the team was stocked with excellent players on higher deals because the QB was on his rookie deal. It's similar to the luck the Seahawks have with Wilson, although Wilson was much less pricey than Flacco.

The Bears have to replace Uhrlacher (Sorry, but the guy there is not the guy), Tillman, Briggs, and Peppers, in the next offseason or two, and will probably have to pony up big to keep Melton. Jeffery will only have gotten a 4 year deal as a second rounder, meaning he's going to get paid in 2 years. If they want to keep Ratliff, they'll have to pony up for him, too.

They've got a lot of money under the cap, but Cutler's deal will eat into that, and they've only got about 30 players signed right now.

I can see Chicago fans getting excited. While I feel much the same way you guys do on Cutler look who the Bears trotted out there in the years since McMahon left:

Steve Fuller (filled in for McMahon, 84-86)
Mike Tomczak (86-90)
Doug Flutie (86)
Jim Harbaugh (88-93)
Peter Tom Willis (92-93)
Will Furrer (92)
Erik Kramer (94-98)
Steve Walsh (94)
Dave Krieg (96)
Rick Mirer (97) (thanks, Wannstedt...)
Steve Stenstrom (98)
Moses Moreno (98)
Shane Matthews (99-01)
Cade McNown (99-00)
Jim Miller (99-02) (I miss Jim Miller...)
Chris Chandler (02-03)
Henry Burris (one start, 2002)
Kordell Stewart (03)
Jonathan Quinn (04)
Craig Krenzel (04)
Chad Hutchinson (04)
Kyle Orton (05)
Rex Grossman (06)
Brian Griese (06)

Hes no prime rib but more like a decent burger with the other beings dog food :(.

item81337_jpg.jpg

I can't stop laughing at the stupidity of some teams. That contract for that guy? C'mon man.

Kaepernick, Cam and Dalton is up next year with probably 16-22m contracts, in a few years standard money for starting QBs if you can take the team over 8-8 :bricks:

And less than that gets you Tom Brady.

Yep, just another reason to admire Tom Brady. He took less money just so he could continue his career as a Patriot. Furthermore, Tom Brady is worth way more than he has been given. Jay Cutler on the other hand is not worth no where near what the Bears are giving him. I think the Bears should have looked into other options. Needless, to say I guess the Bears are content with how they're doing as a team missing the playoffs once again.

Which teams, exactly, were they bidding against for Cutler's services?

» Over the Cap- Top NFL Contracts: Quarterback

$54 million guaranteed puts $7.6 million on their cap for the next seven years plus whatever they actually pay him.

Matt Stafford's deal ($53M with $41 guaranteed over 3 years) wouldn't be so bad for the Bears. Still top-tier money but a near term risk.

I just don't get the 7 years and all the back-loaded potential dead money.

It's like the Bears decided to say, "See how much we love you, Jay? We have screwed up our cap sometime between 2017 and 2020 just for you!"

Green Bay just have the best off season.

Too bad they left Russell Wilson off the list. I was curious to see where he stood as a 3rd round pick.

Wilson's on his rookie deal. It's not a valid comparison.

Breaking news all over the place. They've also re-upped Tim Jennings for four years.

They didn’t have a choice; they couldn’t risk Josh McDaniels getting the Cleveland job and throwing $200M Cutlers and having second shot at being Brady Belichick 2.0...:rolleyes:

Either Cutler sees the wizard to get him a heart, or the Bears just pissed away their future.

Cutler's ***ina is like wizard sleeve.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back