PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on turning for the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy- what's the difference if the opponents simply know McCourt is struggling and target him? On a side note I wonder why there was such a drop off after his rookie year(?) I don't claim to have the answer but he was great as a rook...you'd think that he'd only get better. That first year is proof he indeed has the tools to be a very good CB, what happened?

:confused:

Opponents didn't have tape on him for the first year.

Opponents didn't have tape on him for the first year.

True but that can be said about every CB, many of whom continue to improve despite the tapes.

Andy- what's the difference if the opponents simply know McCourt is struggling and target him? On a side note I wonder why there was such a drop off after his rookie year(?) I don't claim to have the answer but he was great as a rook...you'd think that he'd only get better. That first year is proof he indeed has the tools to be a very good CB, what happened?

:confused:

Well first, this is the comment I was responding to

A good QB will see that the DB is not looking for the ball and underthrow to the WR.
That says nothing about targetting. By the way, he sin't being targetted either.

He has been very good this year as well. People are killing him over allowing a couple of catches and drawing 2 penalties. Its foolish.

Youre just wrong. Nothing new.

McCourty rarely looks back for the ball. It was a problem last season and its becoming an issue this season. There have been numerous discussions on the topic on this board. If you believe that NFL OCs wont go after him because he might turn back for the ball this time go right ahead.

I choose to not be naive.

No you choose to change what you said.
You said this

A good QB will see that the DB is not looking for the ball and underthrow to the WR.

And when I pointed out it was ridiculous, you pretended you were saying something else.
Nothing else you say here matters, because the discussion was about your ignorant initial point, not what you are trying to pretend it meant.

I don't care how many pass breakups he was credited with, he made three plays to prevent would-be catches. That's what matters.

I was responding to the poster who claimed that Dennard had "three passes defended," which wasn't even close to true. He had ONE pass defended, and that's why I provided the link.

As I said, I am obviously excited about Dennard's potential, and always have been since day one.

To be honest I saw a nice pass knocked down, and another that was overthrown...I'm not sure where you're getting the third from.

I agree with you that Dennard looked good in his first real appearance, so let's just hope that continues.

Last edited:
I was responding to the poster who claimed that Dennard had "three passes defended," which wasn't even close to true. He had ONE pass defended, and that's why I provided the link.

As I said, I am obviously excited about Dennard's potential, and always have been since day one.

To be honest I saw a nice pass knocked down, and another that was overthrown...I'm not sure where you're getting the third from.

I agree with you that Dennard looked good in his first real appearance, so let's just hope that continues.

Off the top of my head, Dennard got his hands on a long sideline pass and short crossing route he batted down. So more than one pass defended.

Off the top of my head, Dennard got his hands on a long sideline pass and short crossing route he batted down. So more than one pass defended.

I'd have to watch it again, but all I am doing is quoting actual stats and providing links to those stats. I suppose it would depend on what you consider a "pass defended," but by the actual term that statisticians use, it was only one.

Alfonzo Dennard NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

When a poster claims that Dennard had 3 passes defended and the stats say 1, there is a pretty major difference, that was my only point.

We're in definite agreement, (as I am with Triumph too), that Dennard looked very good out there in his limited time. Hopefully that will continue.

Wow. I am amazed and impressed by the amount of defensive back expertise in this thread. It may be the greatest demonstration of expertise in the history of posting. OF COURSE the coaching staff is monitoring this and using all this wisdom. Heck, half the posters are probably coaches. Some even from other teams.

You got me.

Howdy folks, I'm Buck "Bucky" Woodrider, offensive coordinator for the Southern Beloxi Fighting Hamsters.

Just go about your business and act like I'm not here.

The DB can't really be looking back for the ball before it is thrown.

That's exactly what Bill ^*^#+ Belichick said in his interview. Call me crazy, but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and figure that he might know what he's talking about.

I used to be one of those people that questioned the DBs not turning to find the ball, but it's been explained so well now, that even I get it.

No you choose to change what you said.
You said this

And when I pointed out it was ridiculous, you pretended you were saying something else.
Nothing else you say here matters, because the discussion was about your ignorant initial point, not what you are trying to pretend it meant.

I didnt change anything.

You just need things explained to you in infinite detail and even then it doesnt sink in. Like now.

I admit that when you compare Bill Belichick's football knowledge to mine it's like comparing a library of books to a single chapter in a single book. BUT, as he explained it, this is simply a poor technique.

Really bright people are prone to outthinking themselves and this is an example. You devise a technique to defend the undefensible: a perfect pass by putting yourself at a disadvantage defending the defensible: the more common underthrown pass.

As for a receiver cutting of his route, there comes a point where, if the ball is not in the air, the opposition QB should be on his butt. This is especially true on deep patterns.

I'd have to watch it again, but all I am doing is quoting actual stats and providing links to those stats. I suppose it would depend on what you consider a "pass defended," but by the actual term that statisticians use, it was only one.

Alfonzo Dennard NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

When a poster claims that Dennard had 3 passes defended and the stats say 1, there is a pretty major difference, that was my only point.

We're in definite agreement, (as I am with Triumph too), that Dennard looked very good out there in his limited time. Hopefully that will continue.

OK, Dennard gets credit for only 1 PD. He still didnt allow a reception and was looking back for ball unlike McCourty and others.

Alfonzo Dennard Doesn't Allow Reception in Strong Debut Rotating With Sterling Moore in Patriots Win Over Broncos - New England Patriots - NESN.com
The seventh-round rookie had an impressive debut on Sunday. The former Cornhusker was targeted four times in the game and didn't allow a single reception. He also made two plays where he showed off his ball skills by deflecting two passes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back