PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on turning for the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
putting aside the mccourty specific issues, that interview gives the average fan like myself a real insight into how the game is coached these days. thanks to the OP!

McCourty is going to see a ton of balls thrown his way (especially late in games) because the book on him is that he tries to be physical, doesn't turn for the ball, and is apt to called for a few PIs, etc.
The next few month are a great opportunity for him to make some plays and change opponents perception of him. The chances to makes plays will be there.

Nobody is suggesting anything of the sort here.

Youre in left field.

... Except you stated that any good QB is going to notice McCourty not looking back for the ball, and throw it short expecting the PI. By the very nature of YOUR words, you're saying that McCourty should be looking back before the QB releases the ball. Are you saying you think the QB can reel the pass back in and throw it again?

Nobody is suggesting anything of the sort here.

Youre in left field.
Yes, you are. Your comment was that they will throw at him when they see he isn't looking back.
Now you are saying they will have ESP?

Regarding OP, building on BB's comments, worth pointing out that the first TD in the Denver game, the DB covering Welker turned and looked at Brady as he pumped. Wes uncovered wide open for an easy TD. Could not have been easier.

That was more a case of Harris biting on Brady's pump than of playing poor technique. In other words Harris took his foot off the gas.

Sure,because it has happened twice in 5 games.

Um ya. Twice in 5 games. Let's not include plays he has also given up to avoid the penalties. You know what I was getting at. There is a trend here, and as long as he continues to play like he has he WILL draw more penalties on wishful prayer type throws. Again. I want to see McCourty succeed but he wont until he fixes a few big problems. People here are discussing what those problems are. You go ahead and continue your nitpicking and non contribution to the topic though. Its what you do best champ.

You have to know when to look for the ball, as a CB. Too soon & you're burned. Too late & why bother. Most WRs let you know when the ball is coming and you need to recognize that. Some great ones (I remember Moss in particular) would give no clues in stride or hand position until it was too late to do anything about, in fact sort of lulling the defender to sleep by acting disinterested in the route and then... TOAST.

There's not much excuse for not looking back for the ball, though, if you are in position and defending on a deep out route or a corner route in the end zone, when the boundary itself is determining when the ball must be coming, if at all. Techniques change with the situation. I wonder sometimes if Devin would look for the ball on a Hail Mary!

Last edited:
Why can't DBs on the outside just keep a WR trapped between them self and the sideline? In that case you know looking back isn't going to leave the receiver cutting in field and being wide open and it makes it harder for the QB to complete a pass to that receiver.

Last edited:
Um ya. Twice in 5 games. Let's not include plays he has also given up to avoid the penalties. You know what I was getting at. There is a trend here, and as long as he continues to play like he has he WILL draw more penalties on wishful prayer type throws. Again. I want to see McCourty succeed but he wont until he fixes a few big problems. People here are discussing what those problems are. You go ahead and continue your nitpicking and non contribution to the topic though. Its what you do best champ.
Those ARE the 2.

Why can't DBs on the outside just keep a WR trapped between them self and the sideline? In that case you know looking back isn't going to leave the receiver cutting in field and being wide open and it makes it harder for the QB to complete a pass to that receiver.
What you are saying is why cant the corner have perfect coverage. The other guy is getting paid too.

What you are saying is why cant the corner have perfect coverage. The other guy is getting paid too.

Not necessarily perfect, I'm not expecting Revis like in the receivers pocket all game long but just pushing the receiver out towards the sideline would help out a lot.

McCourty appears to have tight coverage a lot of the time anyway so if he can learn to use the sideline as an extra defender then he would probably improve because it would enable him to be able to look round.

... Except you stated that any good QB is going to notice McCourty not looking back for the ball, and throw it short expecting the PI. By the very nature of YOUR words, you're saying that McCourty should be looking back before the QB releases the ball. Are you saying you think the QB can reel the pass back in and throw it again?

No, youre wrong.

A QB will notice McCourty's tendencies from watching film and from previous plays during the game. Whats McCourty have, 3 PIs this season. Do you honestly believe that will go unnoticed throughout the NFL?

Dont you think that opposing teams go into a game with a gameplan that they want to execute and go after players who they deem to be liabilities?

BB does.

Yes, you are. Your comment was that they will throw at him when they see he isn't looking back.
Now you are saying they will have ESP?

Youre still in out left field.

Theres this thing called film study. Moreover, have you ever noticed a QB and OC sitting on the bench after a series (failed or not) going over pics of coverages and how the defense is defending certain formations and plays?

Its time to stop making excuses for McCourty. Dennard was able to look back for the ball and knock it away 3 times. Other CBs in the NFL do the same.

Not necessarily perfect, I'm not expecting Revis like in the receivers pocket all game long but just pushing the receiver out towards the sideline would help out a lot.

McCourty appears to have tight coverage a lot of the time anyway so if he can learn to use the sideline as an extra defender then he would probably improve because it would enable him to be able to look round.
But what you describe IS perfect coverage. You are in the WRs shirt, and have time to look back while cutting him off from breaking the route.

Its just asking for perfection. You can do that, but in a league where almost 70% of passes are being completed, its not realistic.

Youre still in out left field.

Theres this thing called film study. Moreover, have you ever noticed a QB and OC sitting on the bench after a series (failed or not) going over pics of coverages and how the defense is defending certain formations and plays?

Its time to stop making excuses for McCourty. Dennard was able to look back for the ball and knock it away 3 times. Other CBs in the NFL do the same.
Wait, so now they are going to guess that he won't look back for the ball when its in the air, instead of SEEING that he isn't looking back?
I guess you can always be right if you change what you said whenever you are not.

I don't really want to revisit most of this, but it should be noted that impact of the "look for the ball" issue is different on short, quick routes than on long routes.

edit, nevermind

Last edited:
Wait, so now they are going to guess that he won't look back for the ball when its in the air, instead of SEEING that he isn't looking back?
I guess you can always be right if you change what you said whenever you are not.

Youre just wrong. Nothing new.

McCourty rarely looks back for the ball. It was a problem last season and its becoming an issue this season. There have been numerous discussions on the topic on this board. If you believe that NFL OCs wont go after him because he might turn back for the ball this time go right ahead.

I choose to not be naive.

Andy- what's the difference if the opponents simply know McCourt is struggling and target him? On a side note I wonder why there was such a drop off after his rookie year(?) I don't claim to have the answer but he was great as a rook...you'd think that he'd only get better. That first year is proof he indeed has the tools to be a very good CB, what happened?

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back