PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB kinda kills the OLine on 'EEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like so many of us have been saying, this line is much better pass blocking than run blocking.

I agree. As great as Jim Brown was and I seen him run; He would at least get to the line before he got hit most times. Of course, he gave a lot of hurt himself to those trying to hit him. He was the best i ever seen.

Of course, back when he played, it looked like a high school defense was playing against him :D

The problem is simple and it's not all on the O-line. Defenses KNOW when it's a run when Maroney is in the game. The team uses him way too predictably in when he is running and into which general area.

It's similar to how when we line up in shot gun, teams KNOW we are passing and their D-line gets faster since they can sprint up the field and not have to cover running lanes.

u think thats why the O line has been able to block better? cuz now maroney is in there all the time, so they dont know anymore?

u think thats why the O line has been able to block better? cuz now maroney is in there all the time, so they dont know anymore?

Maroney learning to pass block certainly has helped, but honestly, the change in blocking schemes did it.

...Now the nit wit O hosts are trying to rationalize scenarios for why Bill sounds so positive and even exasperated by the continuing questioning because it just couldn't be what Bill says it is, inconsistent blocking...based to some extent on the focus placed on pass blocking in this offense...

But how's that any different from what we get right here on this messageboard?

Like so many of us have been saying, this line is much better pass blocking than run blocking.
That's because the Oline was selected on its abiity to pass block, not run block. That is the primary and overriding question in selecting Olinesmen: How well do they pass block. We have few good run blockers because that is a secondary consideration.

BB did not trash the Oline on the show at all. He was asked if Maroney would like to get the ball more, and he answered that Maroney would like to have more room to operate. He didn't say the Oline was bad, that they should do better or anything like that.

As long as the Oline blocks well on pass plays, they are doing their job. As long as Maroney/Taylor/ BJGE/whoever run well enough that the defense keeps 7 in the box and play action works, that is good enough. The Pats are going to win or lose on Brady's arm.

Oh yeah, huge difference:

Maroney 43.4 yards per game 4.3 per carry 3 TDs

Taylor 50.3 per game 4.5 per carry 2 TDs.

Remarkable difference for sure.

J D Sal
Yea except Taylor didn't have Tennessee to pad his stats.

I thought this week Maroney looked the best I have seen him since his rookie season.

But Maroney's stats were really padded by that Tennessee game.

His stats were padded against the 7th overall run defense in the NFL?

In weather conditions that, per Tedy Bruschi, would have made it more difficult for a running like Maroney to have success?

Good to see the revisionist history and penchant for just making stuff up out of whole cloth will never die out when it comes to LoMo.

Fred Taylor seemed to do fine behind the same Oline..

Taylor seemed to get a lot of yards out of the shotgun. When he lined up for straight ahead running plays like Maroney, he didn't seem to find much room.

That's because the Oline was selected on its abiity to pass block, not run block. That is the primary and overriding question in selecting Olinesmen: How well do they pass block. We have few good run blockers because that is a secondary consideration.

BB did not trash the Oline on the show at all. He was asked if Maroney would like to get the ball more, and he answered that Maroney would like to have more room to operate. He didn't say the Oline was bad, that they should do better or anything like that.

As long as the Oline blocks well on pass plays, they are doing their job. As long as Maroney/Taylor/ BJGE/whoever run well enough that the defense keeps 7 in the box and play action works, that is good enough. The Pats are going to win or lose on Brady's arm.

But he has criticized them consistently over the last couple of weeks. Consistently saying there is no issue with Maroney's running while there are issues with the run blocking and they have to do better...

You realise that you are supposed to perform in an area that is identified as the opponent's weakness right? Is it Maroney's fault that he ran well against Tennessee is it? I would have expected nothing less.

I fully expect LoMo to rush well against the Colts and build himself some momentum leading into the Jets, Saints and Dolphins games.

Bill Belichick could come on with a paid advertisement in every newspaper in America saying "I think Laurence Maroney is a great RB and he is an asset to our team" and people on this board would still find a way to bash him.

It's sickening when people can't just be happy that one of our players who has fought injury problems for two years is finally running like we all remember him running.

Maroney has been running better IMO. He is running lower to the ground and less upright. I still contend that he cannot move like he did before his injuries and he has had to learn to run differently. He's not going to be the guy we drafted ... but he seems to be running good enough for other teams to respect the run ... that's all we need really.

Why do we need a Maroney excuse thread when he consistently ran hard and was successful?

Why not say, Maroney really ran hard and consistent? I don't understand. Do we think Belichick always says exactly what he's thinking? Or does he boost players that need confidence and deflate players that are hot dogs, like he always has and like every other successful coach does?

Since our line has been playing like a piece of crap while Maroney has been completely consistent, always running hard and never hesitating, I think BB should go on the big show and start naming names of linemen who have been shirking and making it seem that certain running backs were struggling to come back from injuries, or whatever.

"Fred, it's amazing to me that (Mankins, Neal, Kaczur etc.) have consistently failed to open holes at the right time. Also, I have instructed that 'play that gets blown up in the backfield' not be called anymore. I don't know why it was even in the playbook. Just the name of the play would give an indication there were problems with it."

"Just to let you know, we're not calling that play anymore, and all the linemen have agreed to open holes just when Maroney is ready for them, not too soon, where they'll close up, or too late.

To the layman, it may have seemed that Laurence hit the holes hard, gave second effort and ran consistently, with determination. Nothing of the kind. He deserves no credit at all.

Just wanted to clear that up."

Last edited:
I thought Maroney ran ok considering the right side of our oline pretty much sucks in run blocking. he ended up with 4.2yds a carry which will keep a defense honest.
Lomo should be able to get some yards against the colts defense. their DT's are nothing special and their lb's are pretty small. They dont have Sanders shooting gaps this year. in fact i think this will be the first ne/colts game in 3 years that Sanders isnt playing in. Even the years he wasnt healthy he always managed to play in this game.

Did he really? He played in 4 games before going on the shelf. Here are his YPCs:

Seems to me that he was inconsistent. You know, like the run blocking.

I'm not knocking Taylor, and I find it funny that people think comparing Maroney to a future hall of fame running back is somehow a way to insult Maroney, but the people who've been consistently bashing Maroney really don't seem to know much about something as basic as a team's running game. Either that, or they haven't bothered to actually watch the film with a focus on the running game.

We see a lot of that with the media.

Ugh....

He dances. He really does. His dancing has lessened the past couple of weeks - that's a good thing. Sure the media piles on - but when jocks turned mediots say the same thing - eh, there is some truth the criticism. As much as you say the Maroney "haters" have blinders on - so don't the Maroney "lovers."

I understand your argument. No one is saying that the o-lines run blocking is superb....but Maroney isn't superb either. I think therein lies the issue for many of us fans. If Maroney was a third or fourth round pick - he would be considered decent and a good value. However, he is a first round pick and expectations are high. He has not met, nor will he meet, the expectations that people have for a first round pick.

Last edited:
Bill Belichick could come on with a paid advertisement in every newspaper in America saying "I think Laurence Maroney is a great RB and he is an asset to our team" and people on this board would still find a way to bash him.

It's sickening when people can't just be happy that one of our players who has fought injury problems for two years is finally running like we all remember him running.

Maroney has been doing a good job this year. The thing about running backs on this team is they are all role players. They get the ball maybe 15 times a game. Maroney has been running up and down the field in a couple games this year where the Pats mysteriously abandoned the run game for long periods of time or rotate in other players instead.

If Kevin Faulk became an asset to this team, than Maroney has the same opportunity.

I wish we would run the ball more when Maroney is doing well. But he is a role player on this team, not a featured star like Brady or Moss...

As long as BB does not have a problem with Maroney than I don't think any of us are qualified enough to have a problem with the guy. He is playing a role on this team and seems to be doing a good job.

Ugh....

He dances. He really does. His dancing has lessened the past couple of weeks - that's a good thing. Sure the media piles on - but when jocks turned mediots say the same thing - eh, there is some truth the criticism. As much as you say the Maroney "haters" have blinders on - so don't the Maroney "lovers."

I understand your argument. No one is saying that the o-lines run blocking is superb....but Maroney isn't superb either. I think therein lies the issue for many of us fans. If Maroney was a third or fourth round pick - he would be considered decent and a good value. However, he is a first round pick and expectations are high. He has not met, nor will he meet, the expectations that people have for a first round pick.

Where he was drafted does not excuse the comments about him from people such as yourself.

As far as I know, the Maroney defenders aren't claiming that he's superb. BradyFTW! Has produced statistical evidence showing that Maroney's success rate in 2007 was the second best in the NFL, but that's simply pointing out the numbers. If all of you people who've been bashing him for years and pretending that your ridiculous posts have been 'objective' can't handle that, modern sports are probably things you should begin avoiding in favor of less competitive things like basket weaving.

And, by the way, the "jocks turned mediots" are frequently wrong in their assessment of players. They aren't watching coaches films, they aren't looking for the same things they used to when they were playing, and they are falling in line with their fellow mediots. One would hope that people would have learned their lesson about this, convincingly, during the Matt Cassel saga last year. Sadly, most people prefer to hold on to their preconceived notions no matter what level of evidence comes forth to counter them.

And, as I've said before, every running back in the NFL 'dances'. Only the most clueless of posters or football watchers would say otherwise. As a matter of fact, for most teams, that's the best way to stop Brandon Jacobs in the Giants' running game. Once he stops moving forward and begins 'dancing' he loses the advantage of straight ahead power and becomes a lesser back because he's not overly quick. On the other hand, one of the absolute best running backs of all time, a man by the name of Barry Sanders, made a living out of 'dancing'. It's what backs do when running plays blow up and they wait for a hole to open.

Last edited:
He dances. He really does

Okay, point out a specific play where he danced, and we'll break it down.

. .but Maroney isn't superb either.
No one is saying he is. We're saying hes not bad.

I think therein lies the issue for many of us fans. If Maroney was a third or fourth round pick - he would be considered decent and a good value. However, he is a first round pick and expectations are high. He has not met, nor will he meet, the expectations that people have for a first round pick.
His draft status became irrelevant the first time he walked on the field, and I don't know how people don't realize that. What did you guys expect? The 21st player drafted overall to be Walter Payton? There were a bunch of RBs drafted in the first round that year, and hes better than pretty much all of them (Addai, Bush).

Theres a good chance that Deangelo WIlliams is a better runner than him, but Williams has a much better run blocking line in front of him, fumbles a lot, and can't block or catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft