PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much longer will you drink the BB kool-aid?

Pats fans are over rating OBrien. yes, he's an upgrade over an unkempt, poorly hygeined obese fella from last year, but lest we forget OB most prolific offensive seasons in the NFL were coaching a guy that the GM didn't want to spend $25m on.... hopefully O'Brien can run a productive offense that scores 24+ a game (what you need to be a good offense in today's NFL) without Senor Brady
What's happening is you're underselling just how bad Patricia and the rudderless offense was in 2022 and forgetting some important things about O'Brien's job history.

Bill O'Brien inherited a 2 win Texans team, he immediately went 9-7 the next two seasons and had them in the playoffs by season three. Rick Smith his GM was his worst enemy because for some reason he didn't believe offensive line play was important. Deshaun Watson actually led the entire NFL in sacks, eventually the GM was fired and Obie took over that role and pieced together a line, but time was running out for him. In short he won his division four times, his team was one of the least penalized teams in the NFL and he left with a winning record.

What O'Brien did down at Penn State in the wake of the sex abuse scandal was nothing short of amazing. He picked that program up off the mat during it's darkest period. He collected the most wins for a first-year head coach in school history and was named the Big Ten Coach of the Year by both the media and the coaches. He was also named the national coach of the year by ESPN and was awarded the 2012 Paul "Bear" Bryant College Coach of the Year Award.

O'Brien interviewed for the head coaching position with the Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles. However, he decided to remain at Penn State, stating: "I'm not a one-and-done guy. I made a commitment to these players at Penn State and that's what I am going to do. I'm not gonna cut and run after one year, that's for sure." Shades of what happened last year with him at Alabama despite interest from New England.

At Alabama he oversaw the #1 then #2 offense in the SEC, I suspect he learned a lot about the college game and will be able to incorporate a lot of it into his new job as a pro. He was a young coach his first time around in New England, and he's a lot more experienced now than he was then. Patricia was a disaster, Obie by default with get them a lot closer to 2021 levels of efficiency at a minimum, but should be able to exceed it assuming they stay healthy.

He says on a thread where the subject is about firing Belichick... sure, he doesn't get criticized enough.

Sounds legit.

Have you seen the OP‘s posts? He is the ultimate Belichick/Mac Jones hater whowe hatred is on the ridiculous level. And read some of the posts in the thread. Not everyone is trashing Belichick.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back