BB is looking at some more D backs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
not convinced he wants to make a change maybe just light a fire under the asses of some of the D backs... but according to NFL.COM brought in a few to take a look at.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9669456

NOT SECONDARILY

In recent seasons, the New England Patriots have been able to play winning football despite their shortage of defensive backs. But the Patriots are continuing to try to take steps to address their weakness.

On Sept. 18, the Patriots tried out three veteran defensive backs in New England: former Dolphins safety Lance Schulters, former Falcons safety Keion Carpenter and former Giants safety Brent Alexander.

Cleary, the Patriots are looking for upgrades, and they're looking to do it quickly. Schulters is the most logical candidate. He has had a history of making plays and Patriots coach Bill Belichick watched Schulters do it in the AFC East last season.

Last edited:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

September 18, 2006
Safety workouts

After veteran Artrell Hawkins (thigh) missed Sunday's game and James Sanders was injured on the opening kickoff and didn't return, the Patriots worked out three defensive backs on Monday: Lance Shulters, Brent Alexander and Keion Carpenter.

The Patriots have Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson as their starters at safety, with Hawkins, Sanders, Chad Scott and Willie Andrews in reserve. Cornerback Randall Gay can also play safety if needed.

The team had seemingly addressed the safety spot at the start of training camp, but season-ending injuries to Mel Mitchell and Tebucky Jones depleted the depth.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 11:59:54 PM

where will we ever find the cap space?? :eek:

Not only poor tackling, but the injuries to Sanders and Hawkins might be more serious than oroginally thought. The DBs are thin at only 9 and with any medical issues, players are needed.

I really have only heard of Schulters--and that would be a nice addition. How are the other two that are mentioned? Any good?

I have Keion Carpenter on my Madden team. Hes a quality backup :)

I hope this doesn't mean Sanders is injured badly. He got hurt early in the game on a kickoff and didn't return.

our yearly secondary injury bug has begun....this s**ks..:(

The difference between those two news stories is the reason why Mike Reiss is the best. He gives us the "why" in a very straight to the point way. That first, Nfl.com story didn't give the "why".

Schefter, who is very good at what he does, but has to do it on a wider league level, seemed to imply that BB wanted an "upgrade" of the secondary. Couldn't have been further from the truth (unless BB is looking to cut Eugene Wilson after the Jets game!). If Sanders and Hawkins weren't INJURED, BB wouldn't be trying out these guys.

Re: This is why we need another safety!

This smells like IR for either Sanders or good soldier Artrell Hawkins...

shmessy said:
The difference between those two news stories is the reason why Mike Reiss is the best. He gives us the "why" in a very straight to the point way. That first, Nfl.com story didn't give the "why".

Schefter, who is very good at what he does, but has to do it on a wider league level, seemed to imply that BB wanted an "upgrade" of the secondary. Couldn't have been further from the truth (unless BB is looking to cut Eugene Wilson after the Jets game!). If Sanders and Hawkins weren't INJURED, BB wouldn't be trying out these guys.

shadow roster auditions...

Amazing.
To begin t/c, safety was
a very well-stocked position!

Re: This is why we need another safety!

Bertil said:
This smells like IR for either Sanders or good soldier Artrell Hawkins...

That was the first thought that crossed my mind. Sincerely hope not!

shmessy said:

Great point. With Tebucky and 2 other backups they were looking strong.

Upgrade is a slanted view implying we weren't covered at the position.

Flying Fungi said:
shadow roster auditions...
Stop spoiling the kids' fun, reality can be a shock if too much is imposed during their formative years. :rolleyes:

From what I've read, it looks like these guys could be solid backups. Here's a couple of things I read in Pro Football Prospectus 2006 (a great book, by the way, get it on Amazon, through http://www.footballoutsiders.com). This includes stats from the Football Outsiders game charting project:

Keion Carpenter (age 29):

"At safety, the Falcons had two starters who were strong in pass coverage but none that could play the run; by swapping out Keion Carpenter for Lawyer Milloy, they get to have one of each." -- PFP2006

Brent Alexander (age 35):

According to PFP2006, he was a starter for the Giants last year but retired. Some things from PFP's game charting project: Had 41 passes against, ranked 5th in the league in pass stop rate (68%), which includes not just incompletes and INT's, but also passes that were caught, but short of "successful" yardage (45% on 1st down, 60% on second down, and 100% on 3rd or 4th down). He also ranked 13th in avg. passing yards against (5.8).

Lance Shulters (age 31):

Was a free agent that apparently nobody signed. Had 40 passes against, 16th in pass stop rate (60%), 44th in avg. yards (8.8).

All these guys seemed to participate in more passes than runs. All stats and info from PFP2006. Again, a great book, easily worth the $15 or so it costs on Amazon.

Note to moderator(s): I've tried to sample some of the quotes and stats, giving credit to the book and website, while not copying large amounts of text, so I hope this is OK. If this information "crosses the line" of copyright, please delete it, and please let me know what, specifically, the problem was.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Stop spoiling the kids' fun, reality can be a shock if too much is imposed during their formative years. :rolleyes:

I'm just over here muttering to myself in the corner...weird Uncle Fungi...

Flying Fungi said:
I'm just over here muttering to myself in the corner...weird Uncle Fungi...
H'mm sounds like my late Uncle Erv - Erv Fungi, it fits don't you think?

CaffeineMan said:
Note to moderator(s): I've tried to sample some of the quotes and stats, giving credit to the book and website, while not copying large amounts of text, so I hope this is OK. If this information "crosses the line" of copyright, please delete it, and please let me know what, specifically, the problem was.
Looks golden to me. Thanks, good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes