PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Based on the Pats' free agency so far.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
my guess would be they bring Carter back and use one of the #1's on a DB and trade the other for a first next year i also think they will trade away one of the 2th round picks, IMO its not a very deep Draft class so i cant see BB useing both #1's and #2's

I think this is the year Belichick trades up for the very same reason. Now there is a rookie cap, it isn't as much of a risk. I don't think he trades into the top 10, but he might move up into the teens.

If an interior lineman is taken I won't be upset especially if its DeCastro, can never have to many people to keep Brady upright and healthy. As for the pass rusher vs coverage debate, I'd much rather draft a pass rusher. We didn't get much production from the secondary but atleast there's youth and potential there, the same can't be said for our edge rushers. Anderson needs to be more of a priority then carter, most of carters production came in bursts and due to Anderson flushing the qb carters way, Anderson was much more consistent, not to mention younger. As for drafting an edge rusher, Perry would be nice but I would be fine with Alan Branch, and Branch might actually fit the 3-4 scheme better.

Obviously depending on perfect health...

Brady
Hoyer (nobody offering up a 2nd round pick)
Mallett
QB = No room at the inn

Ridley
Woodhead
Vereen (set to make big sophomore jump)
RB = Can add a body but not much urgency

Welker
Lloyd
Edelperson
Gonzalez
WR = Similar to RB. Hernandez and Slater (very sparingly) also muck in.

Gronk
Hernandez
TE = Need another guy able to inline block with solid hands

Solder
Vollmer
Cannon
OT = Only need a developmental guy

Mankins
Waters
Connolly
McDonald
Wendell
OG = High urgency if Waters retires. Go big here or don't bother.

Offense observations: Interior OL looks to be the only area where a significant upgrade seems prudent.

As for receiving touches, Welker, Gronk and Hernandez should be good for 270 catches (had 290 last year). Pencil in Lloyd for at least 60 (even Branch had 50). That is a conservative estimate of 330 among those 4. A good target for Brady is to have 370 completions. That only leaves 40 catches for the RBs (who need more touches in the passing game) and the remaining receivers. Why make a major investment for those scraps?

So get a stud OC/OG and knock Connolly back to being a super-sub once he graduates from Camp Scar. The new guy can either be OC of the future or take over for Waters in 2013. Not feeling an investment anywhere else on offense until day 3 of the draft. At that point, any position except QB is fair game.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt the Pats will address o-line early. They have their tackles of the future assuming Seabass' back isn't shot. Mankins is locked up. I think they like what they got in Connolly and they don't seem to want to spend a high pick on a center (Koppen was a fifth rounder). I also think they are hoping that Cannon will replace Waters when he retires after next season (all signs point to him staying on).

If the Pats draft a lineman in the first round, it is likely to be a d-lineman whether they stay put, trade up, or trade down.

Last edited:

Ridley
Woodhead
Vereen (set to make big sophomore jump)
RB = Can add a body but not much urgency
You forgot about fullback Lousaka Polite.

Last edited:

Gronk
Hernandez
TE = Need another guy able to inline block with solid hands
The New England Patriots have invited tight end Daniel Fells from the Denver Broncos for a visit.

Solder
Vollmer
Cannon
OT = Only need a developmental guy

Mankins
Waters
Connolly
McDonald
Wendell
OG = High urgency if Waters retires. Go big here or don't bother.

Offense observations: Interior OL looks to be the only area where a significant upgrade seems prudent.
Where is Matt Light on the list? Ditto Donald Thomas for interior lineman.

You forgot about fullback Lousaka Polite.

He did forget about him, but I don't think a FB is a very good fit in this type of offense--at least that's my opinion.

We all wanted one for many yrs, but it didn't seem to serve us very well, and BB didn't even use him that much, did he?

Then again, if BJGE ends up leaving, a guy like Polite may have more of a role to take over the shorter yardage situations. I think it all depends on whether or not Green-Ellis stays or leaves.

Other than that, I don't think they keep 5 RB's this yr, although I have argued for the #5 for the past couple/few. I don't think there's any reason to need 5 this time, especially with the youth of the RB's.

If the Pats draft a lineman in the first round, it is likely to be a d-lineman whether they stay put, trade up, or trade down.

I agree that at one of the 1st rd picks should be on the D-line, where there seem to be many good choices available. I am guessing a DT myself.

However, BB likely has a much better read on the future of Waters; and we can all probably assume that Light is gone, at least judging from the reports. Therefore, a OL pick in the early 2 rounds is not out of the question; especially an interior Offensive lineman.

OT
If Light is gone, we could use a developmental OT to train for a year. I am not counting on Vollmer past 2012, his contract year. Our future at OT is Solder and Cannon.

OG/C
If Waters is staying (and there is no reason to think otherwise), then we have our starters. Other than Konz, I don't see us drafting an OL in the first 3 rounds. Anyone than a center better than Wendell in 2012 would end up being inactive each week.
This may be the year of the guard, but we are full up.

I agree that at one of the 1st rd picks should be on the D-line, where there seem to be many good choices available. I am guessing a DT myself.

However, BB likely has a much better read on the future of Waters; and we can all probably assume that Light is gone, at least judging from the reports. Therefore, a OL pick in the early 2 rounds is not out of the question; especially an interior Offensive lineman.

OT
If Light is gone, we could use a developmental OT to train for a year. I am not counting on Vollmer past 2012, his contract year. Our future at OT is Solder and Cannon.

OG/C
If Waters is staying (and there is no reason to think otherwise), then we have our starters. Other than Konz, I don't see us drafting an OL in the first 3 rounds. Anyone than a center better than Wendell in 2012 would end up being inactive each week.
This may be the year of the guard, but we are full up.

Agreed. My only point was that BB likely knows the status of Waters, Light, and Koppen much better than we do. I don't think an O-lineman is anywhere near a necessity, but we've certainly seen stranger things. I feel as though there are only so many positions that need addressed this draft, and if the right guy falls (like Konz, or a later C--which would probably be more likely) I wouldn't put it past BB to take to value and build towards the future. After all, he was building towards the future last yr, knowing that many would be inactive--and we didn't even have a FA period yet. I haven't seen much to change that thinking, especially with FA first this yr.

I think it's somewhat debatable as far as Cannon being a tackle, but the early signs certainly seem to point to that. If that's the case, then we're pretty much set with Vollmer, Cannon, and Solder; for 2012 anyway.

Last edited:
OT
If Light is gone, we could use a developmental OT to train for a year. I am not counting on Vollmer past 2012, his contract year.

I think this comment is debatable too, mg.

After all, it's not like Belichick to hang onto a guy for the majority of the season, tying up a roster spot in the process. The only other real example I can think of was Wright, who missed the last 6-7 games in 2010; but the concussion symptoms may have thrown them off a bit in their judgement. I suppose the same could be argued for a back injury too though.

BB's reasoning was "how good Vollmer is."

It's hard to speculate about Vollmer's availability beyond 2012, but I'd have to guess that he is more likely to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes