PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bargain Time - Top 50 Unsigned Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd wait until after May 8th.

The Countdown to Free Agency

MAY 8th – The “May 8th Tender” date. This date, which was moved forward from June 1st a couple of years ago, is essentially the last date that the signing or losing of a free agent will count toward the Compensatory Draft pick calculation. The May 8th Tender – which rarely happens – is a way a team can potentially obtain exclusive negotiating rights with a player later in the summer. It also provides extended Comp pick eligibility if the player is tendered a contract of at least 110% of his prior year’s compensation by May 8th. Otherwise, if the player is not given the May 8th Tender, he no longer counts toward the Comp pick formula and the team cannot gain any special negotiating advantage later in the off season. As a practical matter, very few free agents who remain unsigned by May 8th are worth such a tender.

Bowman really is a question of how much money he wants. If it is reasonable we can certainly give him a shot even though I have the feeling that he would not really solve any issue with speed but just be depth in case of injury. Not sure the cap hit or roster spot is worth that but that decision is still far away. Maybe send him directly to TB12 ?

Apart from that I think you nailed the roadmap.

Yeah, cost is definitely a question.

Bowman hit the Raiders' cap for only $1.4M in 2017, but he still collected $5.85M in guaranteed salary from the Niners (unless there were offsets). Before that start of the 2016 season (and his torn Achilles), he'd signed a 4-year, $42M extension with the Niners ($10.5M APY). If he's looking to get back to some pay rate significantly close to that than $1.4M, it's highly unlikely to happen with the Pats. But I have the feeling that some other teams may get a pretty decent ILB for a season or two by signing him.

I still think that the experience of another veteran ILB would be worth the roster spot for the Pats - certainly the 90-man roster and possibly even the 53-man, depending on how Langi and/or a rookie work out over the off-season. But, yeah, somebody like DJ or even Casillas would probably be enough and wouldn't likely cost very much.

As I understand the logic here, many would pass on players because we might lose a comp pick at the end of the 2019 draft. I don't think that those draft choice are valuable enough to have us lose a player who might contribute or even compete.

If I understand correctly, a signing would affect our 3rds only if the contract was for more than that of Lewis. For example, signing Bowman (or anyone) for an AAV of $4.5M (with a $3M cap), say over 3 years, would affect only a 7th, and that only if Francois is signed to a qualifying contract.

Our 'best" LB played 5 games in 2017 and the 2nd "best" did not play at all. One would expect better from the snake bit position group in 2018, not sure an aging Bowman is the guy I'd be looking to improve that. At the right price he might be a worthwhile addition but I'd be surprised if BB's idea of a 'right price' and Bowman's are in line with each other.

Did you really just call McLellin the Patriots "2nd best" LB ?

Thanks to all for such an interesting topic. I come away better informed and with some opinions.

1. Personally I rather Reid than Vaccarro, but here's my question on both those guys. Why would EITHER want to sign with the Pats for the prospect of being the #4 safety??? The answer is that they wouldn't. So neither are coming here regardless of all the talk they got in this thread. Safety is not a need for the Pats THIS year. But they do need to add some youth the to position, and that can be done through the draft in one of the first 3 rounds.

2. CB is another position that seems fairly stacked with Gilmore, JMcCourty, Rowe, JJones, and CJones all coming back. But I'm also of the opinion that you can NEVER have too many CB's these days, so I'd love to see them add another big CB and bring in DBreaux

3. LB seems to be the biggest need of an impact rotational player, especially if the Pats are going to be using more 3-4 looks this season. Bowman, Johnson, Cushing are all logical targets. I just hope they go after the guy with the guy who has the most left in the tank. We don't need another David Harris experiment this year.

BTW- IF they bring in Bowman, it would be another indication that we are going to use the 3-4 more this season.

That being said, I think the Pats are going to address that position in the first 2 rounds with the emphasis on speed being the key. So let me take this opportunity to promote my Binky this year Shaqueeem Griffith. He has Ryan Shazier speed, a great work ethic and high football IQ. The fact he has only one hand could end up being an advantage since it's possible that he still might be there at the end of the 2nd round.

4. I think we are OK at the interior with Brown, Shelton, Valentine, and Guy coming back, the edge, however, is always a position of need. It's just that there is nothing out there that rings that bell. What happened to Courtney Upshaw that makes him SO available. A first round pick, Alabama pedigree, and only 28. Anyone know the story on him?

BTW- forget about James Harrison coming back any time soon. At his age going to OTA's is a waste of time and energy. In fact I would be surprised if he ends up signing (here or elsewhere) just as the season starts. He's one guy who really doesn't need a full TC to do his job.

5. I hadn't thought about Luke Jockel much before this thread, but I'm kind of warming to the idea. Given his draft position, his measurables HAD to have been great, yet his career has been so bad you just have to wonder where his head is at. Even the finest athlete won't succeed in this league if he doesn't love playing it. So THAT would be my biggest question in bringing him in for a look. Does he really want to succeed? So I guess the Pats need to find out why he failed. Was it attitude, coaching, injuries, etc? Whatever it was, once they figure it out, then the question becomes, "Can WE fix it?"

But in the meantime, I'm having fewer and fewer worries about the prospect of moving Cannon to LT and going into the season with Cannon and Waddle as my 2 starting OT's.

6. We don't need ANY FA WR's beyond camp bodies. Decker is a nice WR, but he's totally redundant here. For whatever reason, they have decided to keep Britt. He's going to have a shot at being the Pats' big WR option.

FA's are like Forrest Gumps' box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. I don't remember their names, but a few years ago we signed 2 DE's just before camp to zero fanfare, and they ended up giving us 21 sacks between them. Who knew. Or the time when the Pats signed a back up long snapper after camp started who turned out to be Rob Ninkovich. Or David Andrews, or the second iteration of Patrick Chung, etc, etc ,etc.

PBU dont mean anything. This version of Bowman would not improve coverage at all.

If he was in any way competent in coverage as LB then teams would have a bidding war over him as capable coverage LBs are pretty sought after.

We have "0" LB's that can cover now.With a little more veteran smarts and anticipation, I do believe a Bowman or even a Johnson is a better coverage LB than Hightower, Van Noy, Roberts (without saying) and Flowers is still an unknown in coverage but did not see anything there in 2017. Yes I am saying it. Trust the two old guys in coverage over any in our 2017 fleet of LBs.

I keep harping on Kendricks who is definitely available and day one would be our best LB in all phases. He has a $5.85mm CAP hit and is less than Hightower and we can afford that little luxury of a fast proven LB. in 2019 (two years in contract)he is $6.85 which will be a steal in 2019 FA. ............OR do we take a rookie and hold our breath he can develop which is A CRAP SHOOT. Is our 6th round draft pick worth more than Kendricks?

Correct, PBU is not the "end all tell all" but it is the stat that said player is around the football and has made plays on such. All of our LBs had a total of 4. The 35 Year old Derrick Johnson had 71 tackles and 7 PBU.

Kendricks over Johnson? ....yes. But Johnson or Bowman added over what we have?.....without question. BTW Bowman had 127 tackles which is almost twice of our cast or LBs and 3 PBU, more than any of ours.

Nick...here is the phone number: 215-463-2500

DW Toys

We have "0" LB's that can cover now.With a little more veteran smarts and anticipation, I do believe a Bowman or even a Johnson is a better coverage LB than Hightower, Van Noy, Roberts (without saying) and Flowers is still an unknown in coverage but did not see anything there in 2017. Yes I am saying it. Trust the two old guys in coverage over any in our 2017 fleet of LBs.
DW Toys

Again the post-injury version of Bowman would be worse than Hightower, KVN and maybe Flowers in coverage. Johnson would not even be active for more than 1-2 games. Sorry but this is 2018 and not 2011 or 2012. You are living in the past.

Kendricks is too expensive for what he would bring to the team.

Thanks to all for such an interesting topic. I come away better informed and with some opinions.

1. Personally I rather Reid than Vaccarro, but here's my question on both those guys. Why would EITHER want to sign with the Pats for the prospect of being the #4 safety??? The answer is that they wouldn't. So neither are coming here regardless of all the talk they got in this thread. Safety is not a need for the Pats THIS year. But they do need to add some youth the to position, and that can be done through the draft in one of the first 3 rounds.

2. CB is another position that seems fairly stacked with Gilmore, JMcCourty, Rowe, JJones, and CJones all coming back. But I'm also of the opinion that you can NEVER have too many CB's these days, so I'd love to see them add another big CB and bring in DBreaux

3. LB seems to be the biggest need of an impact rotational player, especially if the Pats are going to be using more 3-4 looks this season. Bowman, Johnson, Cushing are all logical targets. I just hope they go after the guy with the guy who has the most left in the tank. We don't need another David Harris experiment this year.

BTW- IF they bring in Bowman, it would be another indication that we are going to use the 3-4 more this season.

That being said, I think the Pats are going to address that position in the first 2 rounds with the emphasis on speed being the key. So let me take this opportunity to promote my Binky this year Shaqueeem Griffith. He has Ryan Shazier speed, a great work ethic and high football IQ. The fact he has only one hand could end up being an advantage since it's possible that he still might be there at the end of the 2nd round.

4. I think we are OK at the interior with Brown, Shelton, Valentine, and Guy coming back, the edge, however, is always a position of need. It's just that there is nothing out there that rings that bell. What happened to Courtney Upshaw that makes him SO available. A first round pick, Alabama pedigree, and only 28. Anyone know the story on him?

BTW- forget about James Harrison coming back any time soon. At his age going to OTA's is a waste of time and energy. In fact I would be surprised if he ends up signing (here or elsewhere) just as the season starts. He's one guy who really doesn't need a full TC to do his job.

5. I hadn't thought about Luke Jockel much before this thread, but I'm kind of warming to the idea. Given his draft position, his measurables HAD to have been great, yet his career has been so bad you just have to wonder where his head is at. Even the finest athlete won't succeed in this league if he doesn't love playing it. So THAT would be my biggest question in bringing him in for a look. Does he really want to succeed? So I guess the Pats need to find out why he failed. Was it attitude, coaching, injuries, etc? Whatever it was, once they figure it out, then the question becomes, "Can WE fix it?"

But in the meantime, I'm having fewer and fewer worries about the prospect of moving Cannon to LT and going into the season with Cannon and Waddle as my 2 starting OT's.

6. We don't need ANY FA WR's beyond camp bodies. Decker is a nice WR, but he's totally redundant here. For whatever reason, they have decided to keep Britt. He's going to have a shot at being the Pats' big WR option.

FA's are like Forrest Gumps' box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. I don't remember their names, but a few years ago we signed 2 DE's just before camp to zero fanfare, and they ended up giving us 21 sacks between them. Who knew. Or the time when the Pats signed a back up long snapper after camp started who turned out to be Rob Ninkovich. Or David Andrews, or the second iteration of Patrick Chung, etc, etc ,etc.

Who is taking Amendola's place? I get Jules but Mitchell? He is made of glass from even college. Nice kid , good talent but not dependable. I am not even factoring him. Cooks is a "clear out" WR deep threat and not your third down go-to. Dorsette I have hopes for. Hogan? Hurt this year and digressed. After 2017 I think I would take Decker over Hogan. Britt? O.K. give him a chance, but who do you want that can make a big play if Gronk and Jules are covered on a third and six? Who can play slot and outside? Who is a Red Zone upgrade?

"FA's are like Forrest Gumps' box of chocolates". This applies way more in Draft picks and your 17%-19% three year success rate of Pro Bowl, starter or valued back up roster keepers. An FA has NFL tape. Still you have to evaluate the FA picks, not just the name. That is where mistakes are made.
DW Toys

Basically a big pile of safeties with a couple other lingering vets that would be decent.

Again the post-injury version of Bowman would be worse than Hightower, KVN and maybe Flowers in coverage. Johnson would not even be active for more than 1-2 games. Sorry but this is 2018 and not 2011 or 2012. You are living in the past.

$5.85mm for a speedy fast LB who can cover and who would start over everybody except Hightower? I would beg to differ with your opinion there Cousin. Demario Davis just signed an $8mm per year deal with the Saints as a fair comp same age w/Kendricks the better career to date.

Van Noy I like but is a liability in coverage and I am sure you agree with that.

Kendricks starts here day one, is that a fair statement?

Junior Seau came here older than Bowman and not too much younger than Johnson and BB used his talents effectively. For the one or two games that Harrison was here, he was one of our best players. BB likes talented Vets who understand the game.
DW Toys

I'm honestly not sure how much I care whether or not someone like Bowman could be good in coverage. As long as the guy knows where to be, and has the ability to get there in a timely fashion, to stop the damn run on a regular basis, I'm good. Then maybe the safeties (and the cornerbacks) can go back to focusing on their coverage responsibilities, confident in the knowledge that the front seven won't be turning a charging RB loose on them every other play.

That "backup long-snapper" thing just won't die, will it?

;)

Yep, Reid is a better & more versatile player than Vaccaro.

Cushing has a 50% chance of landing on IR and 30% chance of getting another suspension for PEDs. Also he doesn't seem to be a major step over Elandon Roberts to be honest. Except for his cap hit.

Bowman has lost a step and would not help a lot with what seems like the major wish of many Pats fans: a faster LB group. If he comes very cheap I suppose BB can figure out a place but I am not sure he would survive camp.

Derrick Johnson would end up being this years David Harris. Great locker room personality, most probably inactive for most of the games.

I wonder if anyone who watched Barwin last year has any idea if he has anything left.
Bowman was quite good with the Raiders

Bowman had 7 PBU last year in a partial season. Not too bad yet.
DW Toys
That doesn't tell you much. A lot of pbus can easily be an indication of being picked on.

I keep harping on Kendricks who is definitely available and day one would be our best LB in all phases. He has a $5.85mm CAP hit and is less than Hightower and we can afford that little luxury of a fast proven LB. in 2019 (two years in contract)he is $6.85 which will be a steal in 2019 FA. ............OR do we take a rookie and hold our breath he can develop which is A CRAP SHOOT. Is our 6th round draft pick worth more than Kendricks?

Correct, PBU is not the "end all tell all" but it is the stat that said player is around the football and has made plays on such. All of our LBs had a total of 4. The 35 Year old Derrick Johnson had 71 tackles and 7 PBU.

Kendricks over Johnson? ....yes. But Johnson or Bowman added over what we have?.....without question. BTW Bowman had 127 tackles which is almost twice of our cast or LBs and 3 PBU, more than any of ours.

Nick...here is the phone number: 215-463-2500

DW Toys
Kendricks just isn’t a good lb. perhaps a role player in passing downs but paying him 5.8 mill is nuts.

Bowman was a good lb before the injured but he is shot now.

No. He got injured & Tartt played well in place him. When Reid got healthy, SF did not want to take him off of the field, so they moved him to LB. He’s pretty versatile.

Eric Reid's free agent value will be tough to determine

Coming off his option year at $5.676M. The Niners have over $42M in cap space remaining.

They also have Tartt and Ward on the roster at safety. Ward in on his 5th-year option at $8.56M. Tartt is in his contract year at $1.6M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back