PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

At which positions would it be easiest for rookies to make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
All things considered, at what positions do you think a rookie has the best chance of making a difference to the Pats in 2010?

The obvious candidates are WR, TE, DE, OLB/DE, FB, and P, because that's where the biggest holes are. Some might also favor RB (rookie RBs can often contribute), ILB/OLB (ditto), or kick returner.

My thoughts on those positions are:

WR Historically very hard, because of the difficulties in learning to beat jams and run routes at the pro level. Perhaps easier in the slot, where neither of those concerns come into play as much, but the slot isn't where the Pats are apt to draft.

TE Much easier for a young TE to contribute quickly at the pro level in pass-catching that it is for a WR -- he basically has to stand there, be big, and not drop things. Blocking is hard, however.

DE Three first-round pick DL have been solid players for the Pats their first seasons. Seymour may even have been more than that by the end of the year. Getting a solid starter at a position of weakness is not inconceivable.

OLB/DE Pass rushers who accomplish much their first seasons are rare. And pure pass rushers are drafted ever higher. Unfortunately, the chances of major impact here are poor.

FB BB characterizes FB as a vet position. And it's not that much of an impact position anyway.

P A huge upgrade at punter would be pretty easy to accomplish. How important that is to the team overall is more debatable.

RB One problem w/ a rookie RB contributing is pass blocking, which they typically aren't good at. I get the feeling that's more of an issue on the Pats than elsewhere, although I don't know why.

ILB/OLB Highly productive young LBs (true LBs rather than pass rushers) are increasingly common. For an ILB next to Mayo to make a big impact, it would have to be somebody who plays in nickel/dime sets, but that's not inconceivable. Frankly, I think redshirt McKenzie gets a shot here rather than a high-pick draftee, but there's definitely potential in the role.

Returner A truly great PR/KR is exciting to have. But teams never value those guys too highly unless they also contribute on Downs 1-3. The Pats could use an upgrade; any position player who inspires confidence as a returner (if we even have such right now) also needs protection from injury, and Slater isn't exactly a joy in the job.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I'd say RB is by far the one position a player can come in and make an immediate impact in the NFL. It's also the position that an underclassman come in and do well at right away in comparison to other positions.

Yes, picking up the blitz is a concern but still RB is to me by far the one position teams can start a rookie right away.

On offense, I would say its easier for a TE than for a WR. I'm assuming that's because a pass catching TE creates a physical mismatch for the defense. Maybe that's why Bill has drafted 2 TE in the 1st round, and 0 WR in the 1st round in his tenure.

I could really see Bill drafting a TE in the 1st, and changing our base offensive package to 2 WR 2 TE. Moss, Edelman, Jermaine Gresham :D , Crumpler. And then maybe going with more of a 3 WR emphasis after Wes comes off the PUP.

WR, RB, and TE on offense and DE on defense are the easiest to come in and make an impact. I would go on and show a whole lot of stats to back this up but honestly Im too lazy. Just think of how many RB WR and TE have made impacts within their first couple of seasons. QB and CB are probably the two hardest to get comfortable at.

WR, RB, and TE on offense and DE on defense are the easiest to come in and make an impact. I would go on and show a whole lot of stats to back this up but honestly Im too lazy. Just think of how many RB WR and TE have made impacts within their first couple of seasons. QB and CB are probably the two hardest to get comfortable at.

I think there have been more success stories at rookie WR in recent years than in the past. Even so, I doubt it would go well in the Pats' offense, Branch notwithstanding.

I also think that, league-wide, the average high-pick TE does a lot better as a rookie than the average high-pick WR. There are, however, a lot more WRs picked high overall, and that skews perceptions somewhat.

At which positions would it be easiest for rookies to make a difference?
=====================================================
TIGHT END
A competent TE could definitely make a difference. The standard is Watson 2009.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
I understand that it is difficult for most to think that Matthews might have contributed in his first year in 2009.

So let's see what we've learned. COULD we draft a linebacker who MIGHT contribute at pass-rusher or outisde linebacker, given that we are now set to depend on the following:
Banta-Cain, Woods, Ninkovich and Crable?

I think that the answer is "yes"

Last edited:
A. General Manager who's not afraid of talented receivers with "character issues" (see Percy Harvin, Santonio Holmes, and/or Brandon Marshall)

or

B. Time Machine Inventor, back to 2001-2007, or ahead to about 2012, when any rookie, last year's or present class, is developed enough to make a decent impact.

DE/OLB

especially on this team, that struggles with putting pressure on the opposing QB.

On this team, the position in which a rookie can come in and make a difference almost right off the bat is DE, followed closely by OLB (just going by our needs). Seymour's level of productivity was positive right when he was introduced to the starting line-up. As for offense, there are only two guys that came in and "produced" in their rookie seasons (off the top of my head) during the Belichick era and that is Branch and Edelman. So I don't count on a rookie coming in and producing there. I'd say TE and RB are the safest bets, but I'd be careful about any RB we draft as our O-Line hasn't shown that it can run block consistently.

on most teams it's RB but the pats don't run that ball a nuff for any one to make a impact. lol but in this system i would say it's corner back.

on most teams it's RB but the pats don't run that ball a nuff for any one to make a impact. lol but in this system i would say it's corner back.

Off the top of my head, I believe it was 60/40 pass/run last year on this offense, which isn't suprising given who our quarterback is. We run the ball more than enough.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, I believe it was 60/40 pass/run last year on this offense, which isn't suprising given who our quarterback is. We run the ball more than enough.

KontradictioN you are so right but I think if we can get ths Kindle kid we can still get a corner in the 2nd and running back unless Bill really wants haden and we move up but I would take either scenerio

Last edited:
KontradictioN you are so right but I think if we can get ths Kindle kid we can still get a corner in the 2nd and running back unless Bill really wants haden and we move up but I would take either scenerio

I do not want to see a corner taken in the first two rounds. Kindle looks like a good prospect but his talents would be wasted with who he would be rushing the passer behind on this defense (unless we get a DE that can start from day one).

I do not want to see a corner taken in the first two rounds. Kindle looks like a good prospect but his talents would be wasted with who he would be rushing the passer behind on this defense (unless we get a DE that can start from day one).

Do you like Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays or Graham at 22 or Pouncey to protect the Franchise

Do you like Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays or Graham at 22 or Pouncey to protect the Franchise

Well, Taylor Mays is a workout warrior that plays safety, so he can't protect the franchise. To do that, I like Pouncey.

The position they played in college:rofl:

I'd say that there are 3 positions, and you didn't list 2 of them:

OLB (passrusher)
CB
OG

I'd put DE on that list as well, but they don't typically have huge impacts as rookies.

As for offense, there are only two guys that came in and "produced" in their rookie seasons (off the top of my head) during the Belichick era and that is Branch and Edelman.

A number of OL did -- Light, Mankins, Koppen, Vollmer, GRR, Kenyatta Jones, ...

I'd say that there are 3 positions, and you didn't list 2 of them:

OLB (passrusher)
CB
OG

I'd put DE on that list as well, but they don't typically have huge impacts as rookies.

CBs can get productive quickly. Fair enough. But it's hard to draft a guy who as a rookie is better than Bodden and Butler are likely to be next season.

A number of OL did -- Light, Mankins, Koppen, Vollmer, GRR, Kenyatta Jones, ...

I should have made it more clear. I was talking about WRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST