PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

At which positions would it be easiest for rookies to make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBs can get productive quickly. Fair enough. But it's hard to draft a guy who as a rookie is better than Bodden and Butler are likely to be next season.

Well, the additions of Holmes and Marshall just added receiver depth to both the Jets and Dolphins, meaning an upgrade at the nickel position would have a tremendous impact. Furthermore, since Butler was in and out of the starting lineup last season, I think a rookie would certainly have the potential to be better than him. Now, whether there are really that sort of talented CBs in this draft is the real question.

Just as a "wouldn't it be nice?" notion, though, there's a safety named Berry who would have the potential to make an enormous positive impact upon this defense if the team could somehow find a way to acquire him.

Last edited:
You don't like Wilson?

Well, the additions of Holmes and Marshall just added receiver depth to both the Jets and Dolphins, meaning an upgrade at the nickel position would have a tremendous impact. Furthermore, since Butler was in and out of the starting lineup last season, I think a rookie would certainly have the potential to be better than him. Now, whether there are really that sort of talented CBs in this draft is the real question.

Just as a "wouldn't it be nice?" notion, though, there's a safety named Berry who would have the potential to make an enormous positive impact upon this defense if the team could somehow find a way to acquire him.

I don't think we're going to draft Berry at #22. Sadly, I have the Jets taking him in the first round. :(

I don't think we're going to draft Berry at #22. Sadly, I have the Jets taking him in the first round. :(

I think Berry will go to the Chiefs at 5, even though Pioli will hate taking a safety that high. The kid's potential is just too much to ignore, and I think the Chiefs will figure they can look NT in round 2.

I also think that #5 money is an aweful lot for a safety. His choice seem to be to draft Berry or one of the OT's. Or he could trade down a few picks.

Then again, he could just draft Clausen.

I think Berry will go to the Chiefs at 5, even though Pioli will hate taking a safety that high. The kid's potential is just too much to ignore, and I think the Chiefs will figure they can look NT in round 2.

I also think that #5 money is an aweful lot for a safety. His choice seem to be to draft Berry or one of the OT's. Or he could trade down a few picks.

Then again, he could just draft Clausen.

There's no way they draft Clausen when they just made that much of a committment to Cassel.

My best answers to your question broken down by:

1) Generalized for whole NFL: Best as I can recall from articles from Dr. Z and Pat Kirwan the last few years: Most likely were: RB, ILB, (I maybe forgetting other positions that they mentioned). Least likely: QB, WR

2) Specifically for Pats in 2010:
I would guess TE as Crumpler has to have a breather sometimes plus when want to go 2 TE set - a rookie TE drafted in first 4 rounds should have the talent to beat out NEP 2 other JAG TE's. Rich Gosslein rates the TE draft depth at factor 9 and says good pass catching TE up through the 5th round.

OLB - same logic as TE above ie. that should not be too hard for any OLB drafted in first 3 rounds to beat out in TC - for pass rushing duties- NEP undrafted P. Woods. Likewise, Nichovick or Shaun "I fell down and can't get up* Crable. Even if only on subing in on obvious passing downs - a high drafted rookie could get significant playing time if other teams are playing from behind. Also remmember that rookie pass rusher doesn't need only a high number of sacks to make an impact. If other teams OL tackle cant handle rusher 1 on 1, then the other teams TE might have to help the tackle out. Sufficient pressure can lead to bad throws, throwaways, and/ or INTs.

Assuming if TB regains his mojo and if NEP continue to score an average of high 20's this coming year. several teams could be playing from behind leading to more passing situations. Yes, I know there are many question marks at WR this year - but are we forgetting the collection of JAG receivers that Tom was throwing to the first many years when we won all those shiny trophies! Tom just needs to be more like the TB of old.

Finally, Punter.....no clarification needed. 7 more days til draft!

Off the top of my head I'd say RB is by far the one position a player can come in and make an immediate impact in the NFL. It's also the position that an underclassman come in and do well at right away in comparison to other positions.

Yes, picking up the blitz is a concern but still RB is to me by far the one position teams can start a rookie right away.

No doubt. Look at the RBs taken in the first 2 rounds in the past 3 years. They are all starters who are producing.

Positions that take a while: OLB, QB
Positions that may contribute next year: DB, TE, WR
Position that can contribute today: RB/FB, ILB, DL, OL, ST

To find a gem that doesn't fit this mold (ware, merriman, Ryan, Flacco, etc) displays a team's drafting ability.

I was comparing rookie Season ONE to Butler Season TWO.

As for nickel, that's competing w/ all the other CBs on the roster. Still, you have a point.

Wilson would make this defense better.

Do you agree?

I was comparing rookie Season ONE to Butler Season TWO.

As for nickel, that's competing w/ all the other CBs on the roster. Still, you have a point.

Wilson would make this defense better.

Do you agree?

I don't really know enough about any of the specific prospects to have an opinion.

But Revis aside, who has been more than just a solid starter at CB his rookie season? Scrabble wasn't.

No doubt. Look at the RBs taken in the first 2 rounds in the past 3 years. They are all starters who are producing.

Matt Forte had a great rookie year but got benched last season.
Marshawn Lynch did well but is now trade bait.
Kenny Irons, Chis Henry and Brandon Jackson all busted.

Darren McFadden is almost now an official bust.

So no. Running back isn't as safe as you would like to believe. Safer than many other positions, but by no means safe.

First, to be clear, I want us to draft Odrick or a top OLB at 22 (and perhaps even at 21 and 22).

However, I would welcome Wilson if he is projected to be a solid first year starter. We would than have a threesome set for three years: Bodden, Wilson and Butler. And we'd have a reasonable dime back in Wilhite.

Many believe that we can get an OLB at 44 (Hughes) and a DE at 47 (Jones or Alualu). If that is true we'd have greatly improved our defense and still ahve 53 and 119 to address receiver issues.

I don't really know enough about any of the specific prospects to have an opinion.

But Revis aside, who has been more than just a solid starter at CB his rookie season? Scrabble wasn't.

A. General Manager who's not afraid of talented receivers with "character issues" (see Percy Harvin, Santonio Holmes, and/or Brandon Marshall)

or

B. Time Machine Inventor, back to 2001-2007, or ahead to about 2012, when any rookie, last year's or present class, is developed enough to make a decent impact.

Impressive post, rookie! We might need to add Randy Moss to your A. though, although I always knew it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST