PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armstead and Harrison updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) I have no problem with Armstead competing in practice for a roster spot over 2-3 weeks.
I just don't think that he'll beat out Vellano. My personal expectation is that he will end up on IR.

Agree completely, I have never heard of a player with no NFL experience and who hasn't attended one practice being activated halfway through a season. Had Armstead been practicing since eligible I could see it being discussed but he isn't even ready to start practicing. His best bet is IR and another shot next year.

Agree completely, I have never heard of a player with no NFL experience and who hasn't attended one practice being activated halfway through a season. Had Armstead been practicing since eligible I could see it being discussed but he isn't even ready to start practicing. His best bet is IR and another shot next year.

Both players could be dead or in convalescent homes and BB's cone of silence wouldn't let us know.

I find it surprising that you think that a player with no NFL experience and 3 weeks of practice with the team can be ready enough to beat Vellano.
Why not?
If he is a more talented player, which appears to be the consensus, hwo much practice will he need to get reps as an inside pass rusher in sub as the 4th DT? Vellano completely stinks at that role, so the bar isn't very high.

Since I don't expect Armstead to beat out Vellano for reps, I see no point in Bequette being waived.
I see no point in keeping him over someone who may actually get on the football field and do something. I was mostly commenting on your curious position that being an inactive guy on the roster who just got pushed down the depth chart by a street FA with 2 practices under his belt is some meaningful evidence that BB has plans for Bequette.

I have never heard of a player with no NFL experience and who hasn't attended one practice being activated halfway through a season.

You've never heard of Marcus Cannon? ;)

I'm sure Cannon's not the only rookie to be activated off PUP or NFI.

James Starks who without the Packers might not have won the Super Bowl.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples like that, just none that hadn't even practiced once by this point in the season. I could be wrong I just haven't heard of it. I actually expected that Armstead would be activated this season but now that we are passing the halfway point and he hasn't even sniffed the practice field i just don't see it. And the idea that he's better than guys like kelly, Ninkovich, or Sopoaga is flat out ludicrous.

This is a completely bizarre post. Armstead has never played a snap in the NFL and he is now better than Ninkovich, Kelly, and Sopoaga? The guy hasn't even beaten out Jake Bequette yet. Unbelievable.

Dude, you and I have already beaten out Jake Bequette. We just haven't picked up our phones yet.

This is a completely bizarre post. Armstead has never played a snap in the NFL and he is now better than Ninkovich, Kelly, and Sopoaga? The guy hasn't even beaten out Jake Bequette yet. Unbelievable.

I think outside of Chandler Jones he has the most talent and upside, I would like to see that on the field. I am aware that he has not beaten any of those players out and am not saying he is better than anyone at this point, the only thing I was saying is I would prefer to see him out there and what he can do.

Nothing unbelievable about it, I didn’t say to play him 80% of the snaps I just want to see what he can do at some level this season.

It must have been his amazing training camp that showed just how could he could be!

I am speaking in terms of “as fan” the players who interest me would rank:

1. Chandler Jones
2. Armond Armstead
3. Michael Buchanan
4. Chris Jones
5. Jake Bequette
6. Joe Vellano
7. Rob Ninkovich
8. Tommy Kelly
9. Andre Carter
10. Isaac Sopoaga

The reason is I like to watch younger players develop, obviously the others like Ninkovich, Kelly, etc. are better players than some of the ones that peak my interest but as I said I would prefer to see Armstead over anyone other than Chandler because he is so talented and I want to see what he can do.

We have had rookies come in without practice time and make contributions several times over the last 3 seasons including Chris Jones this year.

• 2013 Chris Jones was claimed off of waivers on 9/13 and saw his first action in week 5 in Atlanta, since then he has had 4.5 sacks in 4 starts.
• 2012 Alfonzo Dennard missed all of training camp and preseason last year and he did not take his first snap until the Broncos game in week 5.
• 2011 Marcus Cannon came off the PUP and played in 7 games as a rookie.
• 2011 Sterling Moore was signed on 11/13 released 12/10 and resigned again on 12/23, Moore made key contributions in the playoffs to help us get to the Super Bowl.

And the idea that he's better than guys like kelly, Ninkovich, or Sopoaga is flat out ludicrous.

Who said that he would outplay either of them? There is a difference between someone saying they’d prefer to see a certain player on the field and saying the player would play better than someone. I said I would prefer to see Armstead because as a fan I like to see younger players with high upside, I never said he would play better than any of the players :confused:

For me, your position is not that usually taken by Belichick. It certainly is different than my own position.

Playing a player MEANS that Belichick expects that they will play better than the alternative. Belichick plays his best players.

If you are saying that there are players you would like to see, even if you expect them to
bring down the production of the team, I strongly disagree. If you are simply stated your preference for youth and inexperience, then I understand. But for me, the time for experimentation is in preseason.

Andy and I have debated what role Armstead might take. He and I disagree. However, we strongly that the player who plays should be the player who we would expect to player better.

Who said that he would outplay either of them? There is a difference between someone saying they’d prefer to see a certain player on the field and saying the player would play better than someone. I said I would prefer to see Armstead because as a fan I like to see younger players with high upside, I never said he would play better than any of the players :confused:

they are both day to day.

or, week to week.

For me, your position is not that usually taken by Belichick. It certainly is different than my own position.

Playing a player MEANS that Belichick expects that they will play better than the alternative. Belichick plays his best players.

If you are saying that there are players you would like to see, even if you expect them to
bring down the production of the team, I strongly disagree. If you are simply stated your preference for youth and inexperience, then I understand. But for me, the time for experimentation is in preseason.

Andy and I have debated what role Armstead might take. He and I disagree. However, we strongly that the player who plays should be the player who we would expect to player better.

I am not disagreeing with your position either: I don't want the worse player to play the majority of the snaps, what I am saying is Armstead on the field peaks my interest more than a player like Sopoaga or Ninkovich. My personal interest aside I want the player who is going to help us win the game the most to see the majority of the snaps.

I just would like to see Armstead at some level even if it is under 20% of the teams snaps; he was a player many of us including myself very excited to see play this season. If it doesn’t happen no big deal as we seem to have at solid rotation in place now given the loss of Wilfork.

I will say in 2014 I am excited for the possibility of seeing a lineup like the one I outlined below at least in some 3rd and long situation, that level of youth and athletic ability is exciting to me:

LE/LB: Collins | 1tech: Armstead | 3tech: Jones (95) | RE: Buchanan

Belichick will always play the player who practices well, given a choice. I imagine, if he plays at all, Armstea will have to work his way in.

If he isn't practicing by the bye, it's probably bye bye...for this year.

I on the other hand have this strange disposition where I want the best players to play the most, especially down the stretch run when you are in 2nd in your conference. The idea of playing a guy who has never played a down in the NFL and hasn't even practiced since camp began over proven players is simply crazy. If Armstead suddenly materializes and plays well then that's awesome, but he should have to earn his playing time and opportunities, just like any other player

You said you want him on the field over anyone not named Chandler Jones, now you appear to be saying that goes even if he isn't as good, simply because you like younger players. That's really bizarre.

Re: Re: Armstead and Harrison updates?

You said you want him on the field over anyone not named Chandler Jones, now you appear to be saying that goes even if he isn't as good, simply because you like younger players. That's really bizarre.

I said I would prefer to see him on the field more than anyone other than Chandler, I'm not saying he should start or even see a lot of reps, I just want to see him play as a fan. I agree with you that the best player should play the majority of the snaps.

Re: Re: Armstead and Harrison updates?

I on the other hand have this strange disposition where I want the best players to play the most, especially down the stretch run when you are in 2nd in your conference. The idea of playing a guy who has never played a down in the NFL and hasn't even practiced since camp began over proven players is simply crazy. If Armstead suddenly materializes and plays well then that's awesome, but he should have to earn his playing time and opportunities, just like any other player

I agree, in theory I am just saying I want to see him materialize because the prospect of him as a player excites me more than any player other than Chandler Jones, if what I originally wrote was unclear I apologize and hope this better portrays my position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST