PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armond Armstead signs with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good signing by the team but 1st round or even second or third round pick is a stretch. He's a project and needs work.... hopefully it works out for us. He's not real strong or real quick to get around the edge ... could be the interior rusher we have lacked IMO ... a sub package player. don't see where he has the speed or quickness to be a 5 in the NFL.

He's probably going to be more a more disruptive player than 4/6 of the DLineman we had playing on Sunday (Deaderick, Francis, Love, Cunningham).

So all in all.... It's a great signing.

Cunningham 6'3 255lbs
There's no way Cunningham is still 255. I'd be that he played this season closer to 280. I hope that "Adderall" wasn't the reason why.

No, it is Ninkovich's biggest weakness. Hightower is better.
I'm not zeroing in on the setting the edge comment Tom more that most of the D appears to be good at either defending the run or in coverage. It would be nice to have players who can do both (like the 49ers).

Actually, I'd kill for the 49ers injury report on D.

Sign Talib and Ed Reed then draft a tall wideout.

Interior OL needs help too center.

Ryan Wendell played more snaps than any OL in football.. Nick McDonald is an above average backup when healthy. I don't see a need at center at all.

Ed Reed will retire if he wins the SB if not IMO he is really not what he used to be. Have to be a 1 yr contract with a low cap number.

Cunningham will be on this team next year. He was playing fantastic prior to his suspension which took him out of game shape..

Also look at Cunningham and Francis size which I listed below. They're not actually DT types at all. We used them in the that role out of necessity because the combination of Fanene and Pryor not being here left us without a pass rush option from the inside.

Cunningham 6'3 255lbs
Francis 6'2 268lbs

I would say you will not see a return of Trevor Scott and Marcus Benard will need to show up at camp in a big way to make the team.

Cunningham might get cut this year. It's 50-50. I'd say he's going to be a bubble player in training camp again.

He was playing fantastic prior to his suspension which took him out of game shape

That's because he was on Performance Enhancers. Once he came back from his suspension, he didn't have much of an impact at all. Probably because he had to get off the roids.

I wasn't too excited about his USC highlights, but he looks much quicker in the CFL reel.

He's Eugene Wilson 2.0

I like having him around, but he's not a guy I'm banking my future on.

He had 45 tackles, 4 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries as a rookie in limited snaps. Sent Chung to 3rd string..

That is a very good rookie season for a 2nd round draft pick.

Cunningham might get cut this year. It's 50-50. I'd say he's going to be a bubble player in training camp again.

That's because he was on Performance Enhancers. Once he came back from his suspension, he didn't have much of an impact at all. Probably because he had to get off the roids.

If he was juicing the effects would not of changed in 4 weeks. He did not get the opportunity because BB felt Francis earned the snaps over him during his absence.

I wasn't too excited about his USC highlights, but he looks much quicker in the CFL reel.
Yeah, I don't know how much stock a person can put in his college tape considering that was 2010.

If he was juicing the effects would not of changed in 4 weeks. He did not get the opportunity because BB felt Francis earned the snaps over him during his absence.

Yep. Cunningham might rely on the steroids to play defensive tackle. But you can't draw any conclusions from what we've seen to this point. Wait until training camp and then we'll talk.

Ryan Wendell played more snaps than any OL in football.. Nick McDonald is an above average backup when healthy. I don't see a need at center at all.

What does Ryan Wendell have to do to get some respect? Throw a few touchdowns?? In terms of consistency, I personally feel the guy might have been our offensive MVP. Perhaps that is an exaggeration, but the point remains.

Based off his 2010 tape he was only a mid round pick, but he did flash the potential to be dominant. He was poised for a breakout year before his medical condition where he could have pushed himself towards the first round. I haven't seen a lot of tape of him in the CFL, but from what I have seen it looks like he finally took that step up that people were waiting for since he was highly recruited to USC. From his CFL highlights he looks much more explosive and disruptive than what I remember at USC and showed the potential to be a disruptor inside. The other thing I really like about him is he adds more length to the D-line. He has long arms, uses his hands pretty well and bats down lots of balls at the LOS.

I dont follow these things as closely as most of you here. And I fully trust you. Judging by everybody's reaction this sounds amazing. But please, please, please, for the love of all things great and small, can we get some big, smack em' in the mouth CB's and Safeties. Oh, and throw in a WR or 2. Thank you, SBR. :D. Bring on 2013 :rocker:

Here's an independent scouting report in case you think we're too partisan here ;)

Sideline Scouting - Armond Armstead Scouting Report

Was projected prior to last season as an eventual late first or early second round pick so the talent is clearly there... Was very mature about not playing during the 2011 season and wasn't a distraction to the program; wanted to play for another school next season but Southern California said they would block any transfer request.

(lots more at the link)

Based off his 2010 tape he was only a mid round pick, but he did flash the potential to be dominant. He was poised for a breakout year before his medical condition where he could have pushed himself towards the first round. I haven't seen a lot of tape of him in the CFL, but from what I have seen it looks like he finally took that step up that people were waiting for since he was highly recruited to USC. From his CFL highlights he looks much more explosive and disruptive than what I remember at USC and showed the potential to be a disruptor inside. The other thing I really like about him is he adds more length to the D-line. He has long arms, uses his hands pretty well and bats down lots of balls at the LOS.

so, what you're saying is he's the next jj watt.

sweet

based on the CFL highlights....he has good hands ....and high motor...
I do enjoy his spin moves...

Now all we need to do is find a LB named Armand Hammer and it's arm and a leg time for opposing QB's...

I like the videos too. He looks unblockable. :)

Yes I know that there is selective editing involved against minor league talent
but the potential is certainly there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case