PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armond Armstead signs with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes me giddy like a school girl. Remember what happened after the last time we lost an AFC Championship game.........well, technically we lost a super bowl, but you get what I mean.

Video of Armstead's pro day:

Video: Armond Armstead NFL Pro Day / 6'5" 290llbs DT/DE ~ Frequency

I thought he might be like Fletcher Cox but his numbers don't really correspond. Cox is faster and more agile whilst Armstead has more lower body power. Armstead's results:

5.01 40
7.48 3-cone
30" Vert
9'10" Broad

Tony Pauline says he "later looked very athletic in position drills:

2012 NFL draft pro day updates - Tony Pauline - SI.com

FWIW, the Pats were in attendance at his pro-day and he had a visit with us that year.

I tried to find athletic comparisons with similar sized DT's using combine data. He's slightly less athletic than Derek Wolfe, worse than Cameron Jordan and Adrian Clayborn and obviously much much worse than JJ Watt. Probably the best comparison I can find is Jared Odrick, their numbers match up really well although Odrick has a slightly better 3-cone. Based upon his similar numbers to Wolfe and Odrick, based purely upon size and athleticism, we're looking at a 5-8 sacks a season guy.

For someone who hasn't followed this story. Why is everyone so high on this guy?

I understand he has a solid year in the CFL and he had heart problems caused from medication overdose by the college doctor.

Was there a solid contingent on this board after him in a previous draft? Sorry if this sounds stupid but i have just never heard of him before. I know he played 3 seasons at USC but thats about it.

Was he projected to be a 1st/2nd round pick?

he projected mid rounds and rose up to the 2nd/low 1st depending on the scouting source...he's got a clean bill of health...has good size and length...atr this point , what is there to lose by taking a look?

For someone who hasn't followed this story. Why is everyone so high on this guy?

I understand he has a solid year in the CFL and he had heart problems caused from medication overdose by the college doctor.

Was there a solid contingent on this board after him in a previous draft? Sorry if this sounds stupid but i have just never heard of him before. I know he played 3 seasons at USC but thats about it.

Was he projected to be a 1st/2nd round pick?

I think it's mostly because he can potentially play DT and he's not 320lbs or bigger. There's not much to support the hypothesis that he's going to be a dominant pass-rusher, but if he matches the projection I posted a couple of posts up, he's battling to be one of the top two pass rushers on the team.

I thought he might be like Fletcher Cox but his numbers don't really correspond. Cox is faster and more agile whilst Armstead has more lower body power. Armstead's results:

5.01 40
7.48 3-cone
30" Vert
9'10" Broad

FWIW, the Pats were in attendance at his pro-day and he had a visit with us that year.

I tried to find athletic comparisons with similar sized DT's using combine data. He's slightly less athletic than Derek Wolfe, worse than Cameron Jordan and Adrian Clayborn and obviously much much worse than JJ Watt. Probably the best comparison I can find is Jared Odrick, their numbers match up really well although Odrick has a slightly better 3-cone. Based upon his similar numbers to Wolfe and Odrick, based purely upon size and athleticism, we're looking at a 5-8 sacks a season guy.

I wouldn't put too much stake in Armstead's "pro day" numbers. He hadn't played football in over 6 months and had missed all of the 2011 season. He wasn't working out in the USC facilities during that period, he wasn't training for the Combine and the pro day like so many top prospects are. I very much doubt that the numbers reflect his true athleticism, or how he would perform now.

I don't know about others, but for me:

1. I was high on him 2 years ago, and thought he was one of the best 3-4 DE prospects around. Though he was graded a mid round prospect going into the season, he was also considered an extremely talented guy with the potential to easily rise up to a day 1-2 prospect. Then he got a medical redshirt, and his draft stock fell through the window, but his talent is unchanged. We don't know what he would have done if he'd had an uninterrupted college career - for all we know, he could have had a big year and been a high pick.

2. He has great measurables in terms of size, and a great combination of power, explosion and quickness, and he is scheme versatile.

3. He fits a role that we needed badly this year, and twice tried to fill - a big, athletic guy who could play LDE or play inside at DT and penetrate. He is considerably more athletic and explosive than Jonathan Fanene.

4. He is young (22), so he should have lots of upside and hopefully a long career.

5. His medical issue is largely a red herring at this point. It was a cardiac issue apparently caused by pain killers given to him by the USC staff. No one from the NFL would touch him last spring for fear of his issue, but the kid went on the road to Canada where he tore up the league, played without any problems whatsoever, and has a clean bill of health.

6. Armstead has proven that he has the desire to succeed, the willpower to go outside the system when no one will give him a chance, and the maturity to thrive in a professional environment away from home. That makes him a high motor, high character guy in my book. He tore up the CFL and produced at a very high level, leading Toronto to the Blue-Grey cup, and he has some tape that looks impressive, against decent competition. Enough CFL players have succeeded in the NFL to make me believe he has a decent shot.

7. He's essentially a "free" draft pick during a year when we have few draft picks, so it's like getting candy. Adam Schefter suggested that teams viewed him as equivalent to a "high" draft pick in terms of his talent and upside.

8. We're desperate for a ray of hope after a bad loss.

Those are my reasons. I'm sure there are others.

A ray of hope is nice, but in reality this is a low risk possible high reward kind of guy..

Props to the Patriots for jumping right in and picking up this guy, bet there are bunch of other teams who are sitting on their laurels.. the work ethic of the Patriots has always impressed me and one of the reasons we do so well.

5.01 40
7.48 3-cone
30" Vert
9'10" Broad

The guy I most think Armstead could be like is Calais Campbell. Campbell ran 5.01 and 5.04 in the 40. His 3-cone was 7.45 at the Combine, which he brought down to 7.19 at his Pro Day.

The numbers aren't terribly meaningful. I think Armstead compares favorably to Derrick Wolfe, more athletic, with similar size. He's in a totally different league athletically than Jared Odrick as far as I'm concerned. He's bigger than Cameron Jordan by a fair amount. JJ Watt is a freak, and is probably in his a class of his own.

If Armstead lives up to they hype and potential, Cunningham is no longer a lock to make the 2014 roster. Amstead has the potential to give them the interior push on 3rd down or passing downs.

He did a nice job this year but it's not it'll be a major blow to the defense if he walks.

This is potentially tremendous news. If the kid can be what his potential indicates, this team just got much stronger on the line while keeping draft picks in position to address the other significant issues.

Armstead
Re-sign Welker
Re-sign Talib or find a suitable replacement
S - round 1 or round 2 trade up
WR - round 1 or round 2 trade up
OL
healthy return of Ballard

That'd be a hell of a promising start to the offseason, IMO, particularly if it's accompanied by the re-signing of Edelman to serve as a Swiss Army Knife sort of player and the re-signing of Woodhead to serve as Woodhead. Do that, and find a way to fleece the Chiefs out of Poe, and I'll need to visit my doctor about a "more than 4 hours" issue.

One addition to that list:

Dwayne Bowe comes here as a free agent because of Brian Daboll (Lloyd-McDaniels situation, but it may cost us more).

One addition to that list:

Dwayne Bowe comes here as a free agent because of Brian Daboll (Lloyd-McDaniels situation, but it may cost us more).

I resided in the anti-Bowe camp but no longer.

Hes 28. Been productive. To your point, hes been in the Weis offense and has been productive. Only question is some of the character stuff and dumb things hes said in the past.

To me it's a choice.....Welker or Bowe. You can't have both.

The guy has improved every year, in 2012 has 8 sacks, 5 forced fumbles and you want to make him a part-time player. Really?

2-3 more sacks and he is a DPOY candidate.

Great big play player, but sorry, he doesn't set the edge.

Will truly excel as a 3rd down player and not hurt the team with RB's who go outside.

Just rewatch where Rice and Pierce killed us on Sunday.

Jones is NOT a 3-4 DE, in a 3-4 he would either be off the field or at OLB.

BB runs a 3-4 Over, 3-4 Under and 3-4 Over Stack base defense. In this Jones is in fact the 3-4 RDE.

With Armstead added are personal will break down like this.

Jack LB's
Ninkovich
Cunningham (3-4 RDE capable)
Benard
LDE's
Armstead
Deaderick
NT's
Wilfork
Love
Pryor/Fortson
RDE's
Jones
Francis (3-4 Jack LB capable)
Bequette
SAM
Hightower
White
SILB
Spikes
Rivera
WILB
Mayo
Fletcher

Also we run 3-3 Jack Nickel/Dime front with 3 down lineman and the Jack OLB at with their hand down or at the line.

Its similar to Saban's 3-4 at Alabama that everyone calls a 4-3 defense. I don't ever see us running a old school 3-4/5-2 front with 3 DL again its not versatile enough and the league is more of a passing league now.

I resided in the anti-Bowe camp but no longer.

Hes 28. Been productive. To your point, hes been in the Weis offense and has been productive. Only question is some of the character stuff and dumb things hes said in the past.

To me it's a choice.....Welker or Bowe. You can't have both.

Not to be knocking Welker but in that situation i might even go with Bowe. I think we have enough talent to pick up the slack from the loss of Welker.

If we had Hernandez/Gronk/Ballard and Bowe then this O suddenly becomes huge. If healthy of course.

If Armstead was so highly regarded, why didn't an NFL team sign him out of college at least as a UFA? I don't get it. Is it only because of his CFL play that he's now considered a good prospect?

THE...HEART....ATTACK......

They needed a season of CFL to convince the world that the heart ids fine - - - it just was the painkillers the USC staff injected.

Again, I would like to point out how OTAs haven't started yet, the draft is 3 months out, and Training Camp even more so. Things can and will change as it relates to plans.

Armstead has potential, yes. But what about the last guy we hyped up (Markell Carter) and look where he ended up. Armstead could be a great NFL player, he could be a total bust signing. We have to see how he is with the team first and see if he even makes the 53 before declaring the return of the 3-4 Defense.

To that last point, I don't see a return to the 3-4. Bill VALUES consistency. Why would he switch to a 4-3 two years ago, and then switch back to a 3-4 after drafting and acquiring 4-3 personnel all because Armstead can play the 5-tech?

Let's avoid the hype and therefore avoid the potential for letdown.

Great big play player, but sorry, he doesn't set the edge.

Will truly excel as a 3rd down player and not hurt the team with RB's who go outside.

Just rewatch where Rice and Pierce killed us on Sunday.

I know I stated that hes ok at setting the edge because of how he uses his body but being 260 going against 300lb plus OLs I do agree that we need bigger players on the line in running situations.

Again, I would like to point out how OTAs haven't started yet, the draft is 3 months out, and Training Camp even more so. Things can and will change as it relates to plans.

Armstead has potential, yes. But what about the last guy we hyped up (Markell Carter) and look where he ended up. Armstead could be a great NFL player, he could be a total bust signing. We have to see how he is with the team first and see if he even makes the 53 before declaring the return of the 3-4 Defense.

To that last point, I don't see a return to the 3-4. Bill VALUES consistency. Why would he switch to a 4-3 two years ago, and then switch back to a 3-4 after drafting and acquiring 4-3 personnel all because Armstead can play the 5-tech?

Let's avoid the hype and therefore avoid the potential for letdown.

Since when was Markell Carter hyped up?

At least Armstead comes with some credentials to his name. He also looks like he has much more potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes