PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armond Armstead signs with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
someone mentioned getting a physical safety to play next to mccourty. id love it if we got matt elam. He plays so physical its crazy. Although unless he play around with the draft board he wont be there by the time we pick in the 2nd round as im pushing for the pats to go WR in 1st round. its about time pats cmon take the plunge and get the WR brady deserves not some udfa

This is potentially tremendous news. If the kid can be what his potential indicates, this team just got much stronger on the line while keeping draft picks in position to address the other significant issues.

Armstead
Re-sign Welker
Re-sign Talib or find a suitable replacement
S - round 1 or round 2 trade up
WR - round 1 or round 2 trade up
OL
healthy return of Ballard

That'd be a hell of a promising start to the offseason, IMO, particularly if it's accompanied by the re-signing of Edelman to serve as a Swiss Army Knife sort of player and the re-signing of Woodhead to serve as Woodhead. Do that, and find a way to fleece the Chiefs out of Poe, and I'll need to visit my doctor about a "more than 4 hours" issue.

Do you think they'd trade Poe?

The guy has improved every year, in 2012 has 8 sacks, 5 forced fumbles and you want to make him a part-time player. Really?

2-3 more sacks and he is a DPOY candidate.

For every sack he gets there plays where he gets non existent pressure. Its not that he isn't a good player, he just isn't good enough to be a every down rusher constantly on the field.

I'm not saying cut him but your fooling yourself if you think he is a starting DE on 90% of the NFL teams.

We currently have 4 players who started or played considerable snaps on defense in the AFCCG that would be lucky to crack the 2 deep or get snaps outside of special teams on any other team in the league.

For every sack he gets there plays where he gets non existent pressure. Its not that he isn't a good player, he just isn't good enough to be a every down rusher constantly on the field.

I'm not saying cut him but your fooling yourself if you think he is a starting DE on 90% of the NFL teams.

We currently have 4 players who started or played considerable snaps on defense in the AFCCG that would be lucky to crack the 2 deep or get snaps outside of special teams on any other team in the league.

Meh. A good pass rusher is successful 30% of the time at applying pressure (hurries, Qb hits, etc.) I agree that Ninko isn't Aldon Smith but 8 sacks and 5 FFs is more production that 80% of the edge guys out there. He's also more than adequate vs the run.

Does he continue to improve? Remains to be seen but he certainly is pretty damn productive.

Is he more suited as a 3-4 OLB....well, I don't think he has the foot speed in coverage but is certainly powerful enough to re-route RBs and TEs.

Do you think they'd trade Poe?

I thought it was a possibility at first, because A.R. typically has had a 4-3 for his defense. Once he mentioned that they're going to be staying in the 3-4, I figured it to be an impossibility, unless he's just posturing for maximum trade value of 3-4 players, which I doubt. I just love the kid's potential. Despite what happened this season, I think that Chiefs team is the most talented team in the AFCW, and I think Reid will figure it out, more's the pity.

Great news! I needed a pick me up after the AFCCG. I like what I see, big, strong, and athletic kid. If he can come in and be our Cameron Wake that would be great.

Even if he has an impact is more like like say Justin Smith and frees up Chandler Jones to do his 'thing' that would also have a really nice positive impact. If Armstead plays up to his potential, it could be like dominos along the DL the way that Talib's appearance helped improve the secondary overall.

If Armstead was so highly regarded, why didn't an NFL team sign him out of college at least as a UFA? I don't get it. Is it only because of his CFL play that he's now considered a good prospect?

The guy reportedly had a heart attack, and his college team refused to let him play.

Tremendous overall draft for safeties, especially compared to the 2012 NFL Draft, which was garbage aside from Mark Barron and Harrison Smith.

The New England Patriots need a major upgrade to Steve Gregory, who is at best an Oakland Raiders backup safety.

Gregory would have been a star back in the day ... he's just way to small in the shoulders to be feared in todays game.

So with a name like Armond Armstead, how long are his arms? :D

And I don't know how long the contract is, but he's under the Pats' control for a minimum of four seasons thanks to exclusive rights free agency and restricted free agency.

that's what i don't get...dominating the CFL...woooooo

He was highly recruited out of High School.

Went to powerhouse USC for College.

Armstead has very good NFL measurables for a DT/DE.

Could've been a 1st rd pick last year if he wasn't forced to sit out due to a heart problem.

Wow awesome news! As painful as it was losing to the Ravens, I am already stoked for next season. Hopefully the team stays healthy and does big things. :)

great news - now a 6-1 brutalizing safety and a 6-3 punishing WR

Forgive me for my ignorance but I don't follow college ball or CFL. Is this guy good? Will he actually make an impact as claimed?

Good signing by the team but 1st round or even second or third round pick is a stretch. He's a project and needs work.... hopefully it works out for us. He's not real strong or real quick to get around the edge ... could be the interior rusher we have lacked IMO ... a sub package player. don't see where he has the speed or quickness to be a 5 in the NFL.

Personally I want to see Ninkovich off the field and getting some rest on run downs. That's not his game. Bring him fresh off the bench as a situational pass rusher and he'll produce just as many sacks and splashy plays.

Agreed. He doesn't set the edge very well.

Slightly OT, but this looks to be the nail in the coffin to the Jermaine Cunningham era in New England. Francis and Armstead are both DE/DT types.

Cunningham had a good year and is in the plans.

Slightly OT, but this looks to be the nail in the coffin to the Jermaine Cunningham era in New England. Francis and Armstead are both DE/DT types.

Cunningham will be on this team next year. He was playing fantastic prior to his suspension which took him out of game shape..

Also look at Cunningham and Francis size which I listed below. They're not actually DT types at all. We used them in the that role out of necessity because the combination of Fanene and Pryor not being here left us without a pass rush option from the inside.

Cunningham 6'3 255lbs
Francis 6'2 268lbs

I would say you will not see a return of Trevor Scott and Marcus Benard will need to show up at camp in a big way to make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back