PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armond Armstead signs with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some highlights of Armond from the CFL this year:

Armond Armstead 2012 CFL All-Star Highlight Video - YouTube

Only highlights, but they give you some idea of this kid's power and explosiveness. He's only 22. I'm hoping that he will be our long term answer opposite Chandler Jones at LDE, with the ability to move inside as a pass rusher as well.
I revised my 2013 Mock Draft with this wonderful acquisition. The New England Patriots now can select a wide receiver in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft in lieu of a defensive tackle.

I'm also in agreement with you that if the New England Patriots pursue a cornerback in unrestricted free agency, Keenan Lewis could provide better value especially compared to Aqib Talib.

Keenan Lewis - Pittsburgh Steelers - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

I dont think its been mentioned once yet but we also get Myron Pryor back off of IR next season. That will also help our depth and rush.

It's obviously early, and I could certainly turn out to be wrong, but I don't expect Pryor to make the opening day roster for 2013.

Ninkovich has to stay on the field.

When we play a 3-4 I could see Armstead-Wilfork-Jones on the line with Hightower-Spikes-Mayo-Ninkovich at LB.

When we play a 4-3 Armstead could play the DT spot next to Wilfork.

Jones is NOT a 3-4 DE, in a 3-4 he would either be off the field or at OLB.

This is good to know. Thanks for the info. If a good safety falls to them, they should draft him. This team hasn't had a really good safety since Rodney left.
We desperately need a stud Safety to go with McCoutey. Much of what was wrong with this defense would be fixed with a powerful Safety to pair with McCourtey and the re-signing of Talib (or the signing of an equivalent CB).

Gregory could take his rightful place as a backup/rotation guy and Dowling could hopefully stay healthy and provide depth to Dennard/Talib.

I dont think its been mentioned once yet but we also get Myron Pryor back off of IR next season. That will also help our depth and rush.

Jones-Love-Wilfork-Armstead

That could leave us with Deaderick and Pryor as interior backups with Francis, Ninko and Bequette for the edges. I do not want to see Ninko as a starter but strictly a rotational DE or cover LB that blitzes.
I may be in the minority but I believe there's a serious need to upgrade the tackle position next to Wilfork in a 4 man front.

Wilson???

Have you all stacked him and Cunningham on the crapped out second round junk heap (respect)

I just see him as a low ceiling guy, hope he proves me wrong though. Nate Ebner on the other hand....:D

Jones is NOT a 3-4 DE, in a 3-4 he would either be off the field or at OLB.
At his current weight he isn't, he has the build that he likely could work his way into that. I think they will stay with a predominant 4-3 but if they were to switch back I think Jones could add the size to be a 3-4 DE this offseason.

If Armstead was so highly regarded, why didn't an NFL team sign him out of college at least as a UFA? I don't get it. Is it only because of his CFL play that he's now considered a good prospect?

Ninkovich has to stay on the field.

When we play a 3-4 I could see Armstead-Wilfork-Jones on the line with Hightower-Spikes-Mayo-Ninkovich at LB.

When we play a 4-3 Armstead could play the DT spot next to Wilfork.

Ninkovich will still get plenty of snaps. I could see Armstead, Ninkovich and Love splitting 2 full times positions worth of playing time:

- Base 4-3: Armstead-Wilfork-Love-Jones, though Ninkovich-Wilfork-Love-Jones will still see plenty of time

- Base 3-4: Armstead-Wilfork-Jones, with Ninkovich at OLB

- Sub packages: Ninkovich-Wilfork-Armstead-Jones

The Pats have added another guy with a skill set that they need: a big, powerful, explosive end/tackle. That will give them more flexibility to move guys around and use them creatively. Ninkovich is a playmaker, and he will still be a big part of the defense.

James Christensen of nepatriotsdraft.com has this:

Armstead likely would have been a top 100 pick without any health concerns, so this is quite a value for a Patriots team that is short on draft picks in 2013.

Don’t expect a Cameron Wake type performance from Armstead, he isn’t a 10+ sack guy. I can see him as a rotational lineman right away with an upside to a starting position within a year or two of playing in the NFL – contributing 5-8 sacks and drawing some double teams.

Gregory could take his rightful place as a backup/rotation guy and Dowling could hopefully stay healthy and provide depth to Dennard/Talib.
As compensation for signing Armond Armstead, Steve Gregory is now a Toronto Argonaut.

This guy any good...anyone watch him or have a quick run down?

Watch the CFL video but the CFL is nowhere close to the same level as NFL

If Armstead was so highly regarded, why didn't an NFL team sign him out of college at least as a UFA? I don't get it. Is it only because of his CFL play that he's now considered a good prospect?

that's what i don't get...dominating the CFL...woooooo

that's what i don't get...dominating the CFL...woooooo

Well, it's better than nothing. But I want to know why no NFL team signed him before he went to the CFL since his health glitch was supposedly no biggie.

Well, it's better than nothing. But I want to know why no NFL team signed him before he went to the CFL since his health glitch was supposedly no biggie.

Same reason the pats passed on him then..he probably showed nothing of value at all to any of the teams

Dominate the CFL...get reconsidered in the NFL

Some highlights of Armond from the CFL this year:

Armond Armstead 2012 CFL All-Star Highlight Video - YouTube

Only highlights, but they give you some idea of this kid's power and explosiveness. He's only 22. I'm hoping that he will be our long term answer opposite Chandler Jones at LDE, with the ability to move inside as a pass rusher as well.

Thanks for sharing the highlights. Made my day. Great athleticism for his size. But the motor may be the most impressive thing.

Why wasn't Armstead signed as an undrafted free agent?

Significant health concerns. He reportedly had a heart attack in 2011 while at USC. The reported heart attack has been blamed on toradol use, which is unconfirmed. He was not medically cleared to play during the combine. I believe, given the controversy with USC, he was not allowed to workout during Pro Days.

That aside, as a starting DE at USC he generated two sacks in 17 starts across his career. So not the dynamic stats that make teams overlook the health concerns.

However, an intriguing physical package who had enough promise to get a role at USC. His CFL stint is encouraging.

I'm not sure I would call him a first round pick by any means, nor would I compare him to Cameron Wake. I think this is more like an extra third - that's where guys with some compelling upside and some real asterisks are taken. And that's exactly what this guy is.

I was hoping the Patriots would look at him as a udfa last spring, and noted he was available in the draft forum when he was released from the Argonauts. So I'm extremely pleased the Patriots ended up with him.

Demps, Armstead - the Pats have picked up a couple of guys with the physical skills to contribute but very limited stats. Smart signings. Hopefully both work out.

The Pats are giving this kid an opportunity to play in the NFL. I'll be he's been waiting for this opportunity for a long time. LETS ALL HOPE THAT HE TAKES FULL ADVANTAGE OF IT. We will find out in the Summer if he's any good.

This is potentially tremendous news. If the kid can be what his potential indicates, this team just got much stronger on the line while keeping draft picks in position to address the other significant issues.

Armstead
Re-sign Welker
Re-sign Talib or find a suitable replacement
S - round 1 or round 2 trade up
WR - round 1 or round 2 trade up
OL
healthy return of Ballard

That'd be a hell of a promising start to the offseason, IMO, particularly if it's accompanied by the re-signing of Edelman to serve as a Swiss Army Knife sort of player and the re-signing of Woodhead to serve as Woodhead. Do that, and find a way to fleece the Chiefs out of Poe, and I'll need to visit my doctor about a "more than 4 hours" issue.

I think you are bang on there Deus

This guy won't play a snap in the reg season....I thought Cunningham was the answer last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft