PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armond Armstead signs with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we're set at DE for the draft then.

I dunna know. I subscribe with the NYG philosophy. The more rushers you have coming off the line the better your overall defense becomes. Armstead is a step in the right direction.

If another 6'5" 300lb guy who can rush the passer and stop the run is on the board in rounds 1-3, you take him...always.

Here is our Red Bryant. At a much better price. Screw the futures contract, lets just lock him up for a few years now. I've been drooling over this guy in the draft forum.

This signing helps us out so much. Now instead of addressing DT in the 1st/2nd round we can use those picks on a coverage LB (there's lots of them coming out this year) and/or Safety.

All together now, let's count our blessings for being a fan of this team.

On Monday, we nurse our wounds from falling short in the playoffs (but we still made BACK TO BACK AFC CHAMPIONSHIPS GAMES!) Tuesday? Time to start thinking of next year!

Awesome news.

On Monday, BB said that now is not the time to make decisions on key players. Totally understandable.

However it was on players who are not on the active roster.:p

This is potentially tremendous news. If the kid can be what his potential indicates, this team just got much stronger on the line while keeping draft picks in position to address the other significant issues.

Armstead
Re-sign Welker
Re-sign Talib or find a suitable replacement
S - round 1 or round 2 trade up
WR - round 1 or round 2 trade up
OL
healthy return of Ballard

That'd be a hell of a promising start to the offseason, IMO, particularly if it's accompanied by the re-signing of Edelman to serve as a Swiss Army Knife sort of player and the re-signing of Woodhead to serve as Woodhead. Do that, and find a way to fleece the Chiefs out of Poe, and I'll need to visit my doctor about a "more than 4 hours" issue.

(If Welker and Talib are resigned)

The Pats can pretty much do whatever the hell they want in the draft, which is cool. They can afford to take a risk on a 1st round WR, draft a 3rd round TE, or even trade up for a guy like Ansah.

I don't follow college football all that much, so excuse my ignorance. I think that they really need to improve the secondary. I like Talib, but they need more play makers back there, IMO. How strong is the defensive back class in this year's draft?

Per Curran :

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran
The Patriots have signed Armond Armstead, according to a source. Former USC player was productive as CFL pass rusher in 2012.

We needed some good news.
Who needs this guy when we have the immortal Jake Bequette about to bust out all over?

I don't follow college football all that much, so excuse my ignorance. I think that they really need to improve the secondary. I like Talib, but they need more play makers back there, IMO. How strong is the defensive back class in this year's draft?
On D, I think they need to improve the defensive line, the linebackers, the safeties and the cornerbacks. ;)

Tremendous overall draft for safeties, especially compared to the 2012 NFL Draft, which was garbage aside from Mark Barron and Harrison Smith.

The New England Patriots need a major upgrade to Steve Gregory, who is at best an Oakland Raiders backup safety.

At safety, Atippett nailed it. Really good safety class. At CB, their are two guys above the rest that won't fall to us. (Milliner and Rhodes) The rest is a crapshoot, but NC State has a 6'3 CB projected third round who alot of people like. Then you got the midget honeybadger in the 4th-5th.

I dont think its been mentioned once yet but we also get Myron Pryor back off of IR next season. That will also help our depth and rush.

Jones-Love-Wilfork-Armstead

That could leave us with Deaderick and Pryor as interior backups with Francis, Ninko and Bequette for the edges. I do not want to see Ninko as a starter but strictly a rotational DE or cover LB that blitzes.

At safety, Atippett nailed it. Really good safety class. At CB, their are two guys above the rest that won't fall to us. (Milliner and Rhodes) The rest is a crapshoot, but NC State has a 6'3 CB projected third round who alot of people like. Then you got the midget honeybadger in the 4th-5th.

Wilson???

Have you all stacked him and Cunningham on the crapped out second round junk heap (respect)

I do not want to see Ninko as a starter but strictly a rotational DE or cover LB that blitzes.

The guy has improved every year, in 2012 has 8 sacks, 5 forced fumbles and you want to make him a part-time player. Really?

2-3 more sacks and he is a DPOY candidate.

Wilson???

Have you all stacked him and Cunningham on the crapped out second round junk heap (respect)

He's Eugene Wilson 2.0

I like having him around, but he's not a guy I'm banking my future on.

This is good to know. Thanks for the info. If a good safety falls to them, they should draft him. This team hasn't had a really good safety since Rodney left.

I dont think its been mentioned once yet but we also get Myron Pryor back off of IR next season. That will also help our depth and rush....

I've had a soft spot for Pryor since this ...

hit.jpg

The guy has improved every year, in 2012 has 8 sacks, 5 forced fumbles and you want to make him a part-time player. Really?

2-3 more sacks and he is a DPOY candidate.
Ninkovich has to stay on the field.

When we play a 3-4 I could see Armstead-Wilfork-Jones on the line with Hightower-Spikes-Mayo-Ninkovich at LB.

When we play a 4-3 Armstead could play the DT spot next to Wilfork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News