PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are YOU writing off the Dolphins and Bills in the AFC East?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is the AFC East a definite two team race between the Jets and Pats?

• Yes - The Bills and Dolphins have NO chance

Votes: 86 74.8%
  • No - Any given week and year surprises happen

Votes: 29 25.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The following teams essentially meet your criteria and have a 1-2 punch at WR that is better than, or at least on par with, the Jets':

Green Bay (Greg Jennings, Donald Driver)
Houston (Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter)
Baltimore (Anquan Boldin, Lee Evans)
Kansas City (Dwayne Bowe, Steve Breaston)
Miami (Brandon Marshall, Davone Bess)
New England (Chad Ochocinco, Wes Welker)
New Orleans (Marques Colston, Lance Moore)
Giants (Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham)
Philadelphia (Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin)
Pittsburgh (Mike Wallace, Hines Ward)
Detroit (Calvin Johnson, Nate Burleson)
Denver (Brandon Lloyd, Eddie Royal)
San Diego (Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd)

The following teams have a 1+2 combo that will meet that criteria this year, and are currently better than the Jets' 1+2:

Atlanta (Roddy White, Julio Jones)
San Francisco (Braylon Edwards, Michael Crabtree)
Dallas (Miles Austin, Dez Bryant)

The following teams meet your 800 yard criteria, although I don't think they're as good as the Jets' 1-2:
Chicago (Johnny Knox, Roy Williams)
Indy (Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon)
Minnesota (Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian)
Washington (Santana Moss, Anthony Armstrong)
St. Louis, assuming they re-sign Clayton (Mark Clayton, Mike Sims-Walker)

The bottom line is that the Jets have pretty much a league-average 1+2 at WR.

Good research. I still see them as 10-12 range. I disagree on a few, but they can go either way. For example Walter isn't even comparable to Mason, but AJohnson is much better than Holmes, so you can almost call it a wash. Competely disagree on Falcons for the simple reason Jones is a rookie, so you don't know what you're going to get.

Solid research though, I originally underestimated how many yards some of these #2 put up (Manningham, Moore, Bess).

The pats should sweep both series against the bills and dolphins.The QB situation is terrible

On paper, yes, but I'm a bit more nervous about the Bills stealing a game from us at some point. They haven't beaten us in years and the law of averages is tipping their way. And I don't like opening up against a division opponent on the road, especially on Monday night -- anything can happen.

Good research. I still see them as 10-12 range. I disagree on a few, but they can go either way. For example Walter isn't even comparable to Mason, but AJohnson is much better than Holmes, so you can almost call it a wash. Competely disagree on Falcons for the simple reason Jones is a rookie, so you don't know what you're going to get.

Solid research though, I originally underestimated how many yards some of these #2 put up (Manningham, Moore, Bess).

I'm definitely not trying to say that they're all better than the Jets, just that they all have #2s who are comparable to Mason. I agree that Mason is probably better than Walter, but not by a ton. Fair enough re: Jones. He was good enough in college that I expect him to be better than Dez Bryant was last year, though, even with his somewhat iffy hands. We'll see, though. I said I think they'll be better than Holmes+Mason mostly because I consider Roddy White an elite WR. He's right on par with the Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson tier of receiver IMO.

Given that there are 32 teams in the league, I'd consider "league-average" to start in the early teens and end in the late teens. I don't think our assessments are too far off, we maybe just disagree on 3 or 4 teams. I can think of probably 8 or 9 teams that are clearly better than the Jets in that dept. (fwiw, the Pats aren't one of them), then a whole bunch that are right on the same level.

Welcome to the board, btw. As Deus mentioned, there are some people here who will give you loads of grief for being a Jets fan, but most of us enjoy talking football and hearing perspective from other teams' fans. A lot of the people who are critiquing the Jets on this thread have similar critiques about the Pats as well. It's the nature of a game with a hard cap that your team can't be great at everything. Even Super Bowl teams have significant weak spots on them (look at the RB corps that Green Bay won with last year).

Last edited:
On paper, yes, but I'm a bit more nervous about the Bills stealing a game from us at some point. They haven't beaten us in years and the law of averages is tipping their way. And I don't like opening up against a division opponent on the road, especially on Monday night -- anything can happen.

The law of averages doesn't work that way. If it were a 50-50 coinflip, and the coin had landed on heads 15 consecutive times purely by chance, the odds of the next flip coming up heads would still be 50%.

Really, though, I've just never understood the logic that a team is more likely to beat us because it sucks and hasn't been able to beat us any of the other times we've played them.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I wonder how Colts and Dolphins fans would have answered that question about the Pats in August of 2001.

I'm more concerned about the Phins making noise than I am about the Bills.

It's really hard to take Tony Soprano and Chad Henne seriously, so yes.

Henne sucks.....but don't underestimate Matt Moore....He's a scrappy guy that could grind it out like Ryan Fitz........I have learned NEVER to take the doofins for granted. Now the Bills are probably still a ways away from beating us......but you just cant guarantee anything. My guess.......BB NEVER allows his team to overlook ANYONE!!!

I took the meaning of the question to mean do the pats have to worry about the fish or bills challenging them for the division. IMO no, can they beat the pats Yes, its the "any given Sunday" rule

The law of averages doesn't work that way. If it were a 50-50 coinflip, and the coin had landed on heads 15 consecutive times purely by chance, the odds of the next flip coming up heads would still be 50%.

Really, though, I've just never understood the logic that a team is more likely to beat us because it sucks and hasn't been able to beat us any of the other times we've played them.

Hope you're right about the law of averages. On paper we should always beat the Bills, but we're in the same division and that can make a team play over its head. Even when Buffalo was in its glory years the Pats would beat them occasionally (usually a defensive struggle).

Hope you're right about the law of averages. On paper we should always beat the Bills, but we're in the same division and that can make a team play over its head. Even when Buffalo was in its glory years the Pats would beat them occasionally (usually a defensive struggle).

Yes, he's right.

I had a co-worker years ago who played the lottery every day. She carefully charted all the winning numbers to discover the pattern so that she could pick better. I spent a long time trying to explain to her that random numbers create random patterns and that, as they say, historical results are not a predictor of future performance. :) I don't believe I convinced her but it's true.

Today's random number has no correlation to anything that happened on any other day whether the winning lottery numbers have included the number "18" for the last 9 days or whether a coin flipped heads the last 15 times in a row (assuming a valid coin and a valid flip).

Of the two the Bills seem like the more dangerous team to me. Stability at QB, useful RB (Fred Jackson), potential wildcard/explosive players (Parish, Spiller and Brad Smith), underrated #1 WR (Johnson), developing young linemen (Levitre, Wood, Ubrik) and where I really think they improved defense. Dareus, Kyle Williams, Nick Barnett, Andra Davis, Merriman, Leodis Mckelvin, Jarius Byrd, and Terence Williams are all talented. With their easy last place schedule the Bills could be threatening the Jets.

Of the two the Bills seem like the more dangerous team to me. Stability at QB, useful RB (Fred Jackson), potential wildcard/explosive players (Parish, Spiller and Brad Smith), underrated #1 WR (Johnson), developing young linemen (Levitre, Wood, Ubrik) and where I really think they improved defense. Dareus, Kyle Williams, Nick Barnett, Andra Davis, Merriman, Leodis Mckelvin, Jarius Byrd, and Terence Williams are all talented. With their easy last place schedule the Bills could be threatening the Jets.

Marcel Darius is my choice for rookie of the year

This guy looks to me judging by his collegiate play to be the next dominant defensive player in the league....lots of upside,little downside if you ask me.

I took the meaning of the question to mean do the pats have to worry about the fish or bills challenging them for the division. IMO no, can they beat the pats Yes, its the "any given Sunday" rule

This is how I see it, and agree. The younger your team is, the more likely it is to play to the competitions level. The Pats have added some experience to the roster- especially on D, and last years rookies now have a years experience. Hopefully we don't fall into the trap of playing poorly against weaker opponents.

If I had to guess, I'd see the division ending like this (based after one pre season game, with minimal starters used LOL!)

Patriots 12-4
Jets 11-5
Dolphins 8-8
Bills 5-11

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case