PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are you supporting Wes or against him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gostkowski for 3

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Wondering how many people are supporting Wes Welker during this time and how many people are against him. My lasting memory of him right now is the play in the superbowl and you'll have a hard time finding me feel sorry for someone who will make over $9 million next year. At the same time he has been a great player who probably deserved a little more in the past. I do feel like he's probably has the most value on the field for us. Where do you stand on this situation?

Don't know, because I don't know what the Patriots are offering/what Wes wants.

I was debating giving him a pass for holding out and missing camp, but then I reconsidered, he would probably just drop it. Im disappointed how much the Patriots will be overpaying him, long contract or not.

Well, if it was up to me Wes, Brady, Wilfork, etc. would all just play for free! We'd have 10 Super Bowls by now! (yeah yeah vet minimum, I know)

Seriously though, I'm not against Wes, he's a huge asset to the team, but I'm pro-Patriots first. If paying Wes what he wants/deserves hurts the team, then it's unfortunate but we would have to move on.

Also, paying him for past production to make up for his previous undersized contracts is not something that a team in the salary cap era can do. That production isn't going to help the Pats this year or ever.

That's my stance on every contract situation. Pay the man - as much as you can without hurting the team more than helping.

Last edited:
I'm supporting that I believe he deserves to get paid. He's been a good soldier and I hope we sign him to a multi-year deal.

But I find I lose respect for anyone who brings up their family when discussing "settling" for over $9m guaranteed dollars. Funny how my parents had no trouble raising a family on two public teacher salaries. Get over yourself Wes.

It's a business. This is wilfork and mankins all over again. But I feel that Welker is not as important as the other 2 players, especially since we are stocked at WRs (incl TEs). If Wes doesn't get a deal, I'll be upset but it won't have as much effect as Wilfork or Mankins.

Wes was wildly underpaid on his last contract. I can't see why any rational fan wouldn't be supporting Welker when it comes to this contract.

Wes is using the only leverage he has as a player and I support him. Perhaps if he actually starts missing games I might charge to change my tunes but for now........ It's all good. Just business people doing business things.

Wes is using the only leverage he has as a player and I support him. Perhaps if he actually starts missing games I might charge to change my tunes but for now........ It's all good. Just business people doing business things.

That, and Wes is the last person I worry about needing reps with Tom Brady, so I don't even feel like his missing the minicamp is going to hurt the team at all.

It all depends on what the asking price and offering price are.

Wes is a valuable asset on this team but he has entered his 30s and things start to drop off,ask any veteran.

He deserves a healthy raise,but not too much to cause cap problems later on.

If making 18 million over 3 years is underpaid then I would like to see what broke looks like. Personally I could care less how much Welker makes compared to other Wr's because I don't care what they make either. They live in a different realm than we do and it really isn't worth getting worked up about because very few of us truly understand their finances like they do.
The only way to understand is win the lottery, huge inheritance,business tycoon decision,invention etc.

I'm not going to feel sorry for the guy, or happy for him whether he gets paid or not. Play or don't play. Life goes on for the Pats fans either way.

i support the team. wes should sign the tag contract and run. hes no spring chicken anymore. and at his size he may not last as long as most wrs. if he holds out he will regret it. the pats dont back down period.

Wes has earned a big contract, and he should get it. He's the best WR we have and a lot of the offense depends on him

Last edited:
i support the team. wes should sign the tag contract and run. hes no spring chicken anymore. and at his size he may not last as long as most wrs. if he holds out he will regret it. the pats dont back down period.

That's why he wants to make bank. He saw how fast guys like Randy Moss and Hines Ward hit the wall.

That's why he wants to make bank. He saw how fast guys like Randy Moss and Hines Ward hit the wall.
yes i know that but i dont think a long term deal makes sense for the pats.

yes i know that but i dont think a long term deal makes sense for the pats.

I agred, it definitely doesn't. And just because he was underpaid these last few year doesn't mean he deserves money now. That's how you run a franchise into the ground.

Last edited:
I have to say Im on wes's side. The dude is a warrior. But i was completely against mankins and was ready to trade him instantly, especially when he started to complain.

He deserves a long term contract. Now how do we define long term? 3 years? 4 years? I think that 4 years are the absolute longest that the Pats will be willing to go for Wes. Anything beyond that is just stupid for the Pats because Wes will be 35 at the end of a 4 year contract. I did see someone mention that they should make Wes' contract heavier during the earlier part of his contract. Meaning
year 1- 10 mill
year 2- 9 mill
year 3- 7.5 mill
year 4- 6 mill

Thats 32 mill. obviously you could mess around with the numbers but why not pay him more during the years that he's youngest (& probably most productive also) since with age his skills may decline....

Welker correctly points out that he has no leverage except to sit out.

And by the way, his next contract will be a huge fraction of his lifetime earnings.

Yes, he has the right to negotiate, just as the Patriots do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore