PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are Pats two red zone turnovers away from 1-3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say it was a bad thing. (And sorry if I made some posters spill your Kool Aid all over your keyboards .....)

And yes, you're right, we won SBs being on the right side of that fine line, and I'd welcome a return to those days. I'm not being negative, just pointing out reality that this team has played some close games that could have gone either way on a handful of plays. That's what makes football great.

For me, the weird part of your first post was at the end, about the fine line of playing the bend-but-don't-break D. It seemed like an unfair shot at a defense that has played really well so far.

You left out, a miracle helmet catch from destiny........

Totally forgot. The Pats are 1-4 in Superbowls, guys. Brady's got some hardware to return!

Last edited:
Let's not forget, the Falcons game swung at the end of the half on a red zone turnover, and in a very similar spot, Bodden got the pick today.

Not taking away too much from the D, they've done well enough all things considered, but BB always talks about games coming down to just a handful of plays, and I can't help but think in the Atlanta & Baltimore games, the Pats D came up huge in these spots and really helped to swing the game.

Granted a whole half of game was played regardless of these TOs, but certainly these two single plays have helped to shape the start of the Pats season. (This is both good & bad ...)

Just a reminder of what a fine line it is when you trot out the bend-but-don't-break D ....

right...because 1 bodden INT in the FIRST HALF was what lost this game for the ravens....seriously?

When we're blowing teams out, you get jokers complaining about how that's not a proper win. When you're winning close games, you get threads like this. I'd submit to you that every team in the league, without exception, is a couple close plays from being 1-3

When we're blowing teams out, you get jokers complaining about how that's not a proper win. When you're winning close games, you get threads like this. I'd submit to you that every team in the league, without exception, is a couple close plays from being 1-3

:agree:

Post of the day.

</thread>

Last edited:
The Pats were 16 different outcomes from being 0-16 in 2007. Brady was also 50 drops from throwing ZERO touchdowns that year.

Oh the humanity.

Colts were one field goal away from losing to Jacksonville in their first game. They were one play or two away from losing to Miami in their second. They could easily be 2-2 right now. They were very close to going 1-7 last year to open, barely squeeked to 3-4, then ran the table to finish.

I was just 12 missed digits away from winning $340M in the lottery last week, FWIW.

The thing is, every team in this league is Z things away from being X - Y.

Our record is what it is.

Patriots were 2 plays away from winning 5 Superbowl titles this decade.
^^ That's more true than the title of this thread.

Yah, we're probably a few plays away from 1-3.

We were one play away from the best team of all time two years ago.

We were a couple plays away from the playoffs last year.

Seasons are defined by key plays at key times.

That's the way it is, and it's the way it's always been.

The great teams are the teams that MAKE those plays at the right times.

Actually, I think they're 3 missed field goals away from being 0-2 and tied in the three other Superbowls.

good point, McNabb

such an inspirational thread

For me, the weird part of your first post was at the end, about the fine line of playing the bend-but-don't-break D. It seemed like an unfair shot at a defense that has played really well so far.

It's just the reality of the BBDB defense. And it's not a shot, it's reality. A lot of pimpers of the D point to the low number of points scored. I'm more realistic. I understand that the D has not given up a lot of points due to the great TOP by the offense, and some timely turnovers. When it works, it's great. But to belabor the theme of my post, when you play that way it's a fine line.

Anyway, I'm just trying to stimulate some discussion on a Sunday night, which I seem to be doing. ;)

It's just the reality of the BBDB defense. And it's not a shot, it's reality. A lot of pimpers of the D point to the low number of points scored. I'm more realistic. I understand that the D has not given up a lot of points due to the great TOP by the offense, and some timely turnovers. When it works, it's great. But to belabor the theme of my post, when you play that way it's a fine line.

Anyway, I'm just trying to stimulate some discussion on a Sunday night, which I seem to be doing. ;)

I think it's more of a reality of the NFL, and has absolutely nothing to do with the style of our defense. The Colts beat the Dolphins in week 2 despite only having the ball for 15 minutes, because they made plays when it counted. The Jets lost today because of a few errors from Sanchez. The Vikings made one big play at the end to beat the 49ers; that was the difference. That's football. It has nothing to do with the style of the defense.

As for the BBDB label, I'm not so sure it applies to this group either. A BBDB defense gives up a lot of yards, but not a lot of points. Yet before the Baltimore game, the Pats were 6th in total defense yards allowed, and tied for 7th in points allowed.

They held the first 3 teams they faced to under 300 yards. All 3 were close games as you mentioned. But there haven't been a ton of turnovers, and few sacks to help. The defense has been effective because it hasn't given up a lot of yards.

But whether you think this is a BBDB defense or not is really irrelevent; the fact remains that all teams, regardless of their defensive style, will play in close games. That's just part of the NFL.

Don't think I expressed myself well.
You expressed yourself pretty well. You basically said they were one play per game away from being 1-3. Actually, they were 1 play per game away from being 0-4.

What is so ridiculous about the original post is any time any team wins by less that 14 points they are a play away from losing. Any one TD by any team could have been a pic-fumble-what have you into a TD for the other team.

The whole point is just dumb, IMO.

You expressed yourself pretty well. You basically said they were one play per game away from being 1-3. Actually, they were 1 play per game away from being 0-4.

What is so ridiculous about the original post is any time any team wins by less that 14 points they are a play away from losing. Any one TD by any team could have been a pic-fumble-what have you into a TD for the other team.

The whole point is just dumb, IMO.

What's ridiculous about acknowledging those plays? The fact that any NFL game decided by 7 points are fewer can pretty much be swung on one play is the entire point of my post. I'm equally thankful our team made those plays as I am cognizant of the fact they could just as easily have lost those games. Sorry I'm so level-headed.

Wow, sorry, my thread wasn't mean to be a glass-half-full-this-D-really-sucks type of thing. Don't think I expressed myself well.

I was more pointing out how fine a line it is from winning and losing in the NFL, and had the Pats not come up with two crucial turnovers when the opposing offenses was driving down the field, they very well could be 1-3.

Again, I'm happy with how the Mayo-less team is playing, I'm just interested in examining how a 60-minute game can really come down to 4-5 plays.

This has always been the case in football. The ONLY time we ever saw a full season of dominating football and blowouts was 2007. Every other year and every other team has to fight for 90% of their wins. A few breaks here or there will obviously change the outcomes of games, but it's the good teams that force the issue and usually come out on top.

Correction for some people: the Pats have played in six (6) Super Bowls.

Belichick always insists that games often come down to a few important plays, which is why the Patriots sweat the small stuff in practice. We're 3-1, and according to the other Bill, you are what your record says you are.

You can look at most games and say if a play or two went differently here and there that the outcome would be different. The fact of the matter is the Pats controlled both the last two games more than their opponents. It wasn't like they were being dominated and one fluke play changed their fortunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft