PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AOL Sports: Moss will stay [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AOL Sports Article Says Moss will stay

I'm also a bit worried about the Pats' paying Randy $10M per year. Could he get substantially more elsewhere? Yes, but not on a team that plans to field a competitive roster with a number of established veterans. Hoping here that he comes in at $7.5M per year, or so.

Thats a ton of money. A bit worrisome if true.

That would only leave us with just under 10 million with a lot of holes.

Randy is a freak, and has produced some of the best performances by a WR in NFL history. But, I think that writer needs to realize Randy's getting older (he's not old), and has had some problems in the past. So, I don't really agree with that articles contending he could receive more elsewhere. I wouldn't be upset if NE were to pay him that much though, as I believe he is the best WR in the league, and he's already proven he can be a top flight performer in NE's offense with Brady as his QB. Tom really likes him, too.

Now, what you just said about the cap isn't at all accurate, sorry. Depending on the contract structure Moss wouldn't automatically hit NE's 2008 cap for $10M, and if he were to take that chunk out of NE's cap they wouldn't have "just under 10 Million with a lot of holes". The Patriots (after cutting Colvin) have at least $23.2M in cap space, and would still have at least $13.2M in cap space even if Moss was to hit their cap for $10M (I don't know that he would). $13M is enough to sign your draft picks (even 7th overall if they use it), and maybe bring in one more top level free agent, or a few mid-level free agents.

I was shocked when I saw this thread.

Shocked that AOL still exists. Who knew?

I was shocked when I saw this thread.

Shocked that AOL still exists. Who knew?

Hey....AOL is not what you once knew....it's pretty cool actually.

At work they all love the enhanced, email from AOL for business, it's much better than it used to be.

Moss to Stay!!!!!!!!!!

Citing two NFL sources, AOL Sports' Sean Jensen reports Randy Moss is expected to sign a "multi-year deal" to stay in New England.

There was never much doubt Moss would stay with the Super Bowl runner-ups. Moss' deal, which can't become official until Friday at 12AM, figures to make him the NFL's richest wideout, though it may be surpassed by Larry Fitzgerald's deal later in the offseason. The contract is expected to be for three years, $30 million with $12-15 million guaranteed. Jensen adds that impending free agent Lance Briggs is slated to sign with San Francisco.

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Re: Moss to Stay!!!!!!!!!!

Great news , if true. Now it's time to shore up the D!

great news! at least something good happened today

Merge, thanks!

So much for the home town discount.

"I have to feed my family".

- Latrell Sprewell

Seriously, some guys you just pay. Moss is worth it.

Felt all along he would be back, the numbers here are more than I thought though.. they will not let this guy walk..

Sounds like a lot of tampering in the NFL, where is Goodell as this certainly effects the integrity of the game.

Cool. Here's hoping he's impressive enough and enjoys it enough that an extension is in all parties' interest in 2011.

Here's also hoping the rumor is right... since nobody can actually make an offer yet, as I understand it.

PFnV

Believe it or not 10 mil a year is a hometown discount. The open market would have fetched him 12 – 13 with about 20 guaranteed.

I just hope he doesn't become another corey dillon...a basically one and done.

not that I am all for believing what AOL says but what were the "soccer moms" talking about today on EEI when they were making it out that the AOL report said Moss was leaving. they actually were talking about how the team would loose their biggest o threat in the same breath after Metor talked about this report

If the Pats got a somewhat back loaded 3 year deal, then that really is a 'hometown discount.'
Despite being 31, Randy could have leveraged a team into committing to a 5 year deal.

I wouldn't like that kind of risk, and do agree that last year was not expected in terms of Moss's health. I hope he's as fortunate moving forward, but you never know.

Now, I really hope Ryan or McFadden drop so the Pats can swap the #7 for 2 later picks.
If they had the #31, we could be looking @ Gholston & Cromartie.

Ok, the first thing that caught my eye was the fact that it was from AOL sports which is where I turn for all my breaking news :rolleyes: This is BS, there is no way we throw that much jack at Moss........sorry not happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft