PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AOL Sports: Moss will stay [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsDparty

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Hopefully this is right, but he quotes two league sources.

http://sports.aol.com/voices/jensen/_a/moss-sticking-as-free-agents-roll-out/20080226105209990001

WR Randy Moss. Last week, there was the “Will they, won’t they…” on whether the Patriots would franchise tag Moss. But Moss is expected to re-sign with the Patriots later this week, and his contract is projected to be for three years, at an average of $10 million per season, including $12 million to $15 million guaranteed.

Could he get more elsewhere?

Of course. But he truly does want to win, and although he did not achieve his ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl last season, Moss still recognizes the value in remaining with the Patriots.

After lamenting his quarterbacks the past few seasons, Moss clicked for record numbers with Tom Brady. In addition, with talented players like Laurence Maroney, Wes Welker and Ben Watson around him, Moss wouldn’t face as many double teams as he would elsewhere.

But his 2008 team shouldn’t expect 2007 Randy Moss; that was a season in which all the stars aligned perfectly.

One concern: Moss turned 31 this month, and he has dealt with recurring injuries.

Re: AOL Sports Article Says Moss will stay

I don't believe were gonna fork over 10 million a year to him, the signing bonus i can see.
But if i'm beoli I have alot of escalators in that contract just to make Sure Mr. Moss stays hungry as he was last year.
But there doing right by Brady, now they need to get him more protection and were in business on offense.

All speculation at every corner. We just wont know, but the one thing I'll say is I think the fact they didn't franchise him kinda confirms this. We'll see.

Thats a ton of money. A bit worrisome if true.

That would only leave us with just under 10 million with a lot of holes.

In BB/PIOLI WE TRUST

The Rats went 4-12 this past season...the Phizzzins went 1-15

The Patriots went 18-1 and returned to the Super Bowl for the 4th time in 7 years....and some of you so called fans are "worried!!!!!!!....jeezus....just what does it take to bring you Scary Marys in off the ledge???

Agree that's too much money for most franchise QBs, He might of been the best wide receiver last season, I know i'm gonna get fried for this.

There is no guarantee he is going to be this season, If the Giants can learn from the Browns how to stop Moss and slow down the passing game.

Then there is no reason a few teams with similar talent won't be able to as well.
I say 6.5 Million tops, If he loves this team and enjoys being on a contender, loves Belichick like he says.
Won't break Mr Krafts bank?
10 million a year if this report is true, that amount would make the likes of Bill Gates even flinch at the thought.

Agree that's too much money for most franchise QBs, He might of been the best wide receiver last season, I know i'm gonna get fried for this.

There is no guarantee he is going to be this season, If the Giants can learn from the Browns how to stop Moss and slow down the passing game.

Then there is no reason a few teams with similar talent won't be able to as well.
I say 6.5 Million tops, If he loves this team and enjoys being on a contender, loves Belichick like he says.
Won't break Mr Krafts bank?
10 million a year if this report is true, that amount would make the likes of Bill Gates even flinch at the thought.

and BB and the coaches have all offseason to figure out how to stop the defensive "blue print" for slowing down the Patriots' offense.

If we go into next year and every week teams play us like how baltimore, philly, and the Giants did and we can't beat them then we don't deserve to win anything.

I'm sure he's already figured out how to beat teams who are going to play defense like that.

In BB/PIOLI WE TRUST

The Rats went 4-12 this past season...the Phizzzins went 1-15

The Patriots went 18-1 and returned to the Super Bowl for the 4th time in 7 years....and some of you so called fans are "worried!!!!!!!....jeezus....just what does it take to bring you Scary Marys in off the ledge???

Worried and being somewhat pissed (as i am) are two different things. I feel we are going through a competitve rebuilding mode.

If Asante Samuel is going to get $9 million or so, than Randy could get to $10.

That is good news if true..

It all depends how the contract is structured. The non-guaranteed money could be backloaded which would not make it that bad if he had a $9-10 million base salary in the last year. The Pats can cut or restructure at that point.

Also, Moss' cap hit could be as low as $4-6 million this year in that situation. Doubtful the Pats will structure it to have all the guarantee money to hit this year.

Last edited:

It's important to remember that it takes3 years for a passing offense to hit peak efficiency. Last year was way out of the ordinary.

Our counter-counter move will be more effective.

good point

and I can't wait for the 29th to see what really happens either

It all depends how the contract is structured. The non-guaranteed money could be backloaded which would not make it that bad if he had a $9-10 million base salary in the last year. The Pats can cut or restructure at that point.

Also, Moss' cap hit could be as low as $4-6 million this year in that situation. Doubtful the Pats will structure it to have all the guarantee money to hit this year.

thanks Rob i was just going to explain to these people how this works but you apparently beat me to the punch.

keep up the good work.

Who cares what the Pats are paying him?

He makes the offense go.

Does that article say Moss has injury concerns?. There are probably 10-15 guys on the roster who played 19 games this year for the NEPs. Moss is one of them,

thanks Rob i was just going to explain to these people how this works but you apparently beat me to the punch.

keep up the good work.

Yup, AAV is the feather in the agents cap, but at the end of the day it's all about guaranteed money. $12-15 means he could be a 2 year $6-7.5M per investment with a dead cap of $4-5M against a $15M+ cap hit in 2010 which if he's cut means a $10-11M cap savings, if there is a cap then... He'd only make $10M per AAV if he remains highly productive for all 3 years.

If the contract is 3/$30, I would doubt Moss would have a $10M cap charge in year 1.

colts and pats are very good at twisting their contracts. I heard it from ESPN radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes