PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another move in the making? (speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Mike and Mike, Bob Ryan was asked about the chances of Moss coming back to the patriots and he said "let me put it this way, no bridges were burned by either end". Talking about last season when moss was traded.

what would that be like?

Moss
Welker
Branch
Chad

Crazy.

I was thinking about this too. I wouldn't be against re-signing Moss at all - although I'd like the next move to be on defense (Matt Roth, Lawson, Osi).

On Mike and Mike, Bob Ryan was asked about the chances of Moss coming back to the patriots and he said "let me put it this way, no bridges were burned by either end". Talking about last season when moss was traded.

what would that be like?

Moss
Welker
Branch
Chad

Crazy.

Bob Ryan?!? He still alive? I am not going to totally dismiss Moss back to the Pats (although I think that ship has sailed), but I doubt Ryan knows any inside information Patriots related.

Personally, if the Pats are going to add another WR I would rather have James Jones of Mike Sims-Walker. Sims-Walker is getting no play thus far in free agency and has tons of upside since his potential was never tapped with David Garrard and the Jags conservative throwing game.

Last edited:
Well, if this thread is just speculation, I'll speculate based off nothing. :D

Bradshaw hasn't resigned with the Gmen. They are left with Jacobs (injury+fumbles) and a 7th round rookie.

BJGE hasnt been offered a contract right? His last tweet was four days ago (he tweets alot) "When pride comes, disgrace follows, but with humility comes wisdom."

BJGE----->Umeniyora?

ive heard ricky williams name floating around

Put me down for Osi!

Wait, so, is Ochocinco troubled but good and Haynseworth the knucklehead? Or the other way around?

Chad is night and day compared to Moss, Dillon and Haynsworth. The big difference is he never quit on his crappy team and coaches. He tried hard regardless of his situation and didnt mail it in so to speak. Troubled? I don't think so.

sFun_bat.gif
:bricks:
2 words: Brett Favre.
:bricks::violent::explative

Last edited:
Resign Light, Extend Mankins, sign either Lawson or Roth and call it a day.

Last night, after I saw the tweet that there was speculation on another "BIG" surprise, I thought it would be Nnamdi...

Since nothing's been announced yet, my guess it's a OLB that no one has thought of..

Last night, after I saw the tweet that there was speculation on another "BIG" surprise, I thought it would be Nnamdi...

Since nothing's been announced yet, my guess it's a OLB that no one has thought of..

That's at least half right.

I believe there will be no surprise because we have been told to expect one.

Jets making a trade with Patriots.....

Rex for BB and Brady ............:D

Eventhough I brought Osi into the picture, I don't know if he is realistic because he wants top DE money and moving to OLB would downgrade his max he could make. 4-3 DEs make more than 3-4 OLB unless the Pats are willing to set the market for him.

Granted the Pats might be willing to trade for Umenyiora for an one year rental. Word is the Giants want a second for him. That is what the Jets gave up for Cromartie and Cromartie is not an impact player like Umenyiora.

Would he be willing to playout his last year for the Patsand be the biggest prize in free agency next year? The question is whether his hold out is more about the Giants lying to him or that he will not play for anyone without a new deal?

If the cost for Umenyiora is a 2nd round pick I would trade the Pats 2nd for him in a heartbeat, IF they could sign him to an extension. He's a disruptive force off the edge and would add that missing dimension that could make this defence absolutely dominating. He not only creates pressure and racks up sacks, he is a turnover machine. 10 forced fumbles in a SEASON is incredible. I wouldn't be too worried about his fit in the 3-4 because of the amount of time the Pats spend in sub packages. And BB is great at adjusting the system to fit players strengths so I think he could do some amazing things with Osi. Plus we would still have two 2012 1st's and Oaklands 2012 2nd round draft picks.

In terms of signing him to an extension and fitting him into the cap I think they could make it work. They are re-structuring Haynesworth's and Chad's contracts which is holding up the trades, but the key to the cap is Mankins. Whether they extend him or trade him, I don't see him here playing out the year under the franchise tag because it handcufs them too much. Ideally they could re-sign him and make a few other moves that could create enough cap space.

For example

Re-sign Mankins ($4-6 million cap saving)
Cut Nick Kazcur ($3,095,000 cap saving)
Trade Brandon Meriweather ($1,395,000 cap saving) (possibly Dallas for a 2nd or 3rd)
Cut Marcus Stroud (850k cap saving)
Total- $9.5-11.5 million cap saving

Re-sign Matt Light
Re-sign Jared Page
Trade for and extend Osi Umenyiora

Some other cap savings if these players don't make the final roster

Wilhite (750k)
Levoir (240k)
Slater (150k)
Cohen (150k)
Murrell (150k)
Pryor (75k)
Clayton (75k)

Total $1.5mil savings

(cap numbers based on Miguels Cap page)

Get me a long term contract for Mankins and I will be thrilled. Then get me an OLB, and call the offseason over.

Get ME a long term contract period, and I will be thrilled. :)

I have a 3rd hand source saying Harvey Dahl.

If the cost for Umenyiora is a 2nd round pick I would trade the Pats 2nd for him in a heartbeat, IF they could sign him to an extension. He's a disruptive force off the edge and would add that missing dimension that could make this defence absolutely dominating. He not only creates pressure and racks up sacks, he is a turnover machine. 10 forced fumbles in a SEASON is incredible. I wouldn't be too worried about his fit in the 3-4 because of the amount of time the Pats spend in sub packages. And BB is great at adjusting the system to fit players strengths so I think he could do some amazing things with Osi. Plus we would still have two 2012 1st's and Oaklands 2012 2nd round draft picks.

In terms of signing him to an extension and fitting him into the cap I think they could make it work. They are re-structuring Haynesworth's and Chad's contracts which is holding up the trades, but the key to the cap is Mankins. Whether they extend him or trade him, I don't see him here playing out the year under the franchise tag because it handcufs them too much. Ideally they could re-sign him and make a few other moves that could create enough cap space.

For example

Re-sign Mankins ($4-6 million cap saving)
Cut Nick Kazcur ($3,095,000 cap saving)
Trade Brandon Meriweather ($1,395,000 cap saving) (possibly Dallas for a 2nd or 3rd)
Cut Marcus Stroud (850k cap saving)
Total- $9.5-11.5 million cap saving

Re-sign Matt Light
Re-sign Jared Page
Trade for and extend Osi Umenyiora

Some other cap savings if these players don't make the final roster

Wilhite (750k)
Levoir (240k)
Slater (150k)
Cohen (150k)
Murrell (150k)
Pryor (75k)
Clayton (75k)

Total $1.5mil savings

(cap numbers based on Miguels Cap page)

This.

I would absolutely be for signing this guy.

And can we please stop mentioning Moss? He was a joke last year in our revamped offense and you would have us cut one of our current receivers for him? We already have Welker, Branch, Ocho, Edelman, Tate, Price, Slater, and the UDFA. You can be sure that some of them are already gone and you want to bring in Moss who was traded deliberately for becoming an issue and total lack of production?

I have a 3rd hand source saying Harvey Dahl.
Sign Dahl, Trade Mankins and a 3rd for Tamba Hali (almost the same cap number)

Win the Superbowl :rocker::rocker:

:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes