PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another move in the making? (speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

37Harrison

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
According to this article, possibly... NFL Full Top Story

If there is any truth to this what could it possibly be? Resigning one of or own? Acquiring Nate Clements?

i am not going to pretend to know if they have the cap room to make another splash in free agency.

be that as it may, nothing the patriots do surprises me these days...

If there is any truth to this what could it possibly be? Resigning one of or own? Acquiring Nate Clements?

I don't think resigning our own would be a surprise with some stuff we've heard about Light/Mankins.

Clements would be a pretty big shock, I'd welcome it though. a trade or FA OLB would be nice too. Who knows, it depends who his "source" is.

i am not going to pretend to know if they have the cap room to make another splash in free agency.

be that as it may, nothing the patriots do surprises me these days...

Pats only FA signing has been Stroud as far as I know. (not counting UDFA's)

Last edited:
Doesn't seem like much. It's just one sentence.

Nate Clements? That'd be quite the disappointing surprise.

The one surprise left that would seriously get me amped would be a long-term OLB solution. Well, that or something ridiculous like getting Asomugha at the last minute.

Get me a long term contract for Mankins and I will be thrilled. Then get me an OLB, and call the offseason over.

Well if Mankins is signed to a Long Term Deal it could lower his cap hit, sign Light, and Manny Lawson is the Whipped Cream and Cherry on the Sundae.

Oh good! The Belichick retiring rumors are going to start circulating again. Didn't the media learn when they were predicting it in 2006? Don't people realize that Belichick every few years makes some really big moves (Colvin & Harrison in 2003 or Moss, Welker, and Adaius Thomas in 2007).

I do like that Mike Freeman says he is hearing that Belichick isn't done making surprise moves. Belichick did say in his press conference today that they have spoken to about 100 players. Maybe they will get a pass rusher. Manny Lawson? Maybe trade for someone? Osi Umenyiora?

Last edited:

If Freeman is right, a surprise move wouldn't be resigning someone like Matt Light or giving Logan Mankins a big deal. I mean it would have to be something people aren't expecting (although trading for Ochocinco isn't much of a surprise).

Who knows if Freeman is right.

If Freeman is right, a surprise move wouldn't be resigning someone like Matt Light or giving Logan Mankins a big deal. I mean it would have to be something people aren't expecting (although trading for Ochocinco isn't much of a surprise).

Who knows if Freeman is right.

Assuming it isn't resigning one of our own, the last big need area is pass rush/OLB. So...

Maybe Nnamdi?

It would be awesome and a surprise, but I don't think it is possible honestly, unless he thinks we have a better chance of winning than the Jets and takes quite the pay cut. I don't think we can pay him what they're offering at the moment, even if theirs is low for someone of his caliber.

edit: same goes for ware, what would we trade and how would we pay him?

Last edited:
Assuming it isn't resigning one of our own, the last big need area is pass rush/OLB. So...

The only big surprise as a pass rusher I can think of who is available is Osi Umeyiora. Maybe Ray Edwards, but I don't know if he is fit.

I can't even deal with all of this. What's felt like months, maybe even years of teasing has suddenly exploded into a cavalcade of bold, courageous decadence. If we somehow finagle a serious pass rusher for the OLB spot, I don't know what I'll do. Osi might make me cry.

Maybe Nnamdi?

Personally, I don't think the Pats could get the cap room even if Mankins resigned and Bodden was cut. I guess they could give extensions to Welker and Mayo and cut Sanders and Kazcur. But that is a lot of work to do before next Friday when all teams have to be under the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back