PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And the team of the decade is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For NFL terms, they general use 2000-2009 for the decade. If that is the case, it would be impossible for anyone to take it from the Patriots.

That said, who care? There is no award for team of the decade. It is just a title that is arbitrarilly applied. I would gladly conceed the title Steelers and let them win the next two Super Bowls if the Pats could win the three after those two.

Re: And the Team of the Decade Is......

i think the only way there is a question about us being the team of the Decade is if the Steelers win in 8 days then again next year.

Even then, they wouldn't have won the three with the same coach...and didn't come close to breaking the number of records that the Pats did...(and I don't see them doing anything close next year)

This is really a silly argument as there has been not been a time this entire decade when the Steelers were ever considered the best team in football. They were not even favored at home for the AFC Championship game during their 15-1 season. We are like Tiger Woods and the Steelers are Padraig Harrington. (the Colts would be Phil Mickelson) They have won at times when the top dogs are either not around or off their game but are never considered the best. The year they beat the Colts was a fluke. The Colts were clearly the best team in football that year. This year will be remembered for Brady being out (see Tiger 2008) That is why we are the early favorite to win it next year. We are still considered the best overall team. The vagaries of the NFL playoff system encourage winning by less than the best team and the ability to win it all is often helped along by some luck. We put together 2 seperate winning streaks of around 20 games. The Steelers have been a very strong team throughout the decade and I tip my cap to them (same with the Colts) but we have been an iconic squad that will go down in history with the dynasties of the past.

Of course, I know that the NFL much like life is a 'what have you done for me lately' league. The Patriots lose points in this category as they have not won since 2004.
Actually, February 6, 2005.

Why is it a silly argument? If the Steelers win the next two, they will definitely be considered.

This is really a silly argument as there has been not been a time this entire decade when the Steelers were ever considered the best team in football. They were not even favored at home for the AFC Championship game during their 15-1 season. We are like Tiger Woods and the Steelers are Padraig Harrington. (the Colts would be Phil Mickelson) They have won at times when the top dogs are either not around or off their game but are never considered the best. The year they beat the Colts was a fluke. The Colts were clearly the best team in football that year. This year will be remembered for Brady being out (see Tiger 2008) That is why we are the early favorite to win it next year. We are still considered the best overall team. The vagaries of the NFL playoff system encourage winning by less than the best team and the ability to win it all is often helped along by some luck. We put together 2 seperate winning streaks of around 20 games. The Steelers have been a very strong team throughout the decade and I tip my cap to them (same with the Colts) but we have been an iconic squad that will go down in history with the dynasties of the past.

Who ever has watched football this decade knows its us.

I'm sure Steelers fans will want to come here and have this conversation, so back to the top it goes to avoid a flooding of the same topics.

Maybe they do but they need ANOTHER SB win before it's a conversation.

The conversation would be more of a "Assuming next year..." conversation.

Such as our "Assuming we win next year..." greatest dynasty topics.

The conversation would be more of a "Assuming next year..." conversation.

Such as our "Assuming we win next year..." greatest dynasty topics.
That's a big assumption right there. If they did win it, it would be a tie although we'd have a slight claim due to a 16-0 regular season and an extra SB appearance.

Regardless of next year, I feel we have already solidified ourselves as team of the decade.

Again, just in preparation of Steelers fans.

Still the Patriots.

5 AFCCG appearances, 4 AFC titles, 3 SB titles > 4 AFCCG appearances, 2 AFC titles, 2 SB titles

Still the Patriots.

5 AFCCG appearances, 4 AFC titles, 3 SB titles > 4 AFCCG appearances, 2 AFC titles, 2 SB titles
What he said.

New England Patriots (2000-2008)
3 Super Bowl Championships
4 AFC Championships
5 AFC Championship Appearances
6 AFC East Division Championships
6 Playoff Appearances
8 Winning Seasons

Regular Season: 102-42 (.708)
Playoffs: 14-3 (.824)

Pittsburgh Steelers (2000-2008)
2 Super Bowl Championships
2 AFC Championships
4 AFC Championship Appearances
5 AFC North Division Titles
6 Playoff Appearances
7 Winning Seasons

Regular Season: 94-50 (.653)
Playoffs: 10-4 (.714)

Indianapolis Colts (2000-2008)
1 Super Bowl Championship
1 AFC Championship
3 AFC Championship Appearances
5 AFC South Division Titles
7 Playoff Appearances
8 Winning Seasons

Regular Season: 101-43 (.701)
Playoffs: 7-7 (.500)

New York Giants (2000-2008)
2 NFC Championships
2 NFC Championship Appearances
3 NFC East Division Titles
6 Playoff Appearances
5 Winning Seasons

Regular Season: 80-64 (.555)
Playoffs: 6-5 (.545)

Last edited:
head to head in '01 and '04 we are 2-0 against he steelers in the playoffs and that is the tie breakers with the pats and steelers, nothing more needs to be said - no one can catch us, even if the steelers win next year, they will be tied with us with 3

head to head in '01 and '04 we are 2-0 against he steelers in the playoffs and that is the tie breakers with the pats and steelers, nothing more needs to be said - no one can catch us, even if the steelers win next year, they will be tied with us with 3

I agree with this, The Steelers didn't beat the Patriots to any of their Superbowls in the decade while the Patriots have gone into Pittsburgh twice for the AFCCG and won both times on route to their Superbowl wins.

New England Patriots (2000-2008)
3 Super Bowl Championships
4 AFC Championships
5 AFC Championship Appearances
6 AFC East Division Championships
6 Playoff Appearances
8 Winning Seasons

Regular Season: 102-42 (.708)
Playoffs: 14-3 (.824)

Pittsburgh Steelers (2000-2008)
2 Super Bowl Championships
2 AFC Championships
4 AFC Championship Appearances
5 AFC North Division Titles
6 Playoff Appearances
7 Winning Seasons

Regular Season: 94-50 (.653)
Playoffs: 10-4 (.714)

Indianapolis Colts (2000-2008)
1 AFC Championship
3 AFC Championship Appearances
5 AFC South Division Titles
7 Playoff Appearances
8 Winning Seasons

Regular Season: 101-43 (.701)
Playoffs: 7-7 (.500)

New York Giants (2000-2008)
2 NFC Championships
2 NFC Championship Appearances
3 NFC East Division Titles
6 Playoff Appearances
5 Winning Seasons

Regular Season: 80-64 (.555)
Playoffs: 6-5 (.545)

That pretty much sums it up. If it's a rational process, then only the Steelers can catch the Pats by winning one more SB and going to one more AFCG before the decade ends in 2009 or 2010 depending on how you're counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case