PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec. 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

The only team the Jets have beaten with a winning record is the Pats, and the Pats where moving the ball pretty well before Brady decided to force the ball to Moss after Revis went out.

This, we were moving the ball really well until they started forcing passes to Moss. The Jets defense isnt as good as last years. We have played a much harder lineup as far as the teams we've faced.

I doubt Jets could beat Indy, Manning always destroys their blitzing. I can't wait to see them play Pitt. Like the ravens game, Sanchez will fold against a better defense.

Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

First some opinions about differences between week 2 and now:

A) Santonio Holmes as a receiving threat: How will the Patriots deal with him?

DROY candidate Devin McCourty...you know the better corner than Wilson in the 2010 draft...

B) A 100% Darrelle Revis: Who will he cover and can he be as effective as he has been recently? Revis has held Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Calvin "Megatron" Johnson, and Terrell Owens to 61 yards total. Will Tom Brady be afraid to throw in his direction?

Against us there are no megatrons to cover, not even the shell of one any more. However...there are two healthy WR's you've yet to face in Welker and Branch, and three TE's two of whom will almost always be on the field, and some kid named Woodhead who has really piled up the all purpose yardage since some knucklehead team cut him...and another we call Lawfirm who while little known has been effective enough in a Brady anchored offense in the absence of Fred Taylor who seems poised to return on Monday night.

C)Calvin Pace as a pass rusher/run stoper: He missed the first 4 games of the season. How will his presence in this game help with the pass rush/run game?

Not as much as you hope with Connelly now at RG and that Mankins guy at LG back from his holdout not to mention two excellent blocking TE's fully assimilated into the mix and a couple of RB rounding into form, one of whom you are familiar with (although not familiar dealing with).

D) O-Line improvement: Jets had a 2nd year player starting in only his second game at RG (Matt Slauson). The Patriots had 3 sacks that game. That has only happened 1 other time this season (Hou). Part of that is Mark Sanchez's ability to escape the rush and still make plays. Will a team that's currently 21's in sacks be able to get constant pressure on the QB? Will they be able to contain Sanchez once/if he escapes the pocket?

Sanchez has been sacked more than Brady in the last 5 weeks...against lesser competition to boot. 10 of his 19 sacks vs. 4 of Brady's 15 total.

Besides said differences between week 2 and now...there are some other things I wanna see:

1) Sumthin's gotta give: Either Tom Brady's 25 straight (regular season) home wins will cease or the Jets current 8 straight (regular season) road winning streak cease. Jets are a better road team than home team anyway, winning 11 of the last 15 games on the road including the playoffs.

Duh...

2) Danny's impact: Will Danny Woodhead and the Patriot running game have an impact in the game vs the Jets? The stats say 'no' he would not. The Jets are the NFL's 4th best rush defense: The Patriots have faced two teams ranked higher: The Chargers (3rd) and the Steelers (1st). They both held the Patriots rushing attack under 100+ yards.

Unlike the JETS we don't have to rush for 100+ yards to win. I think it has something to do with 3) below.

3) Sumthin's gotta give part two: Tom Brady is on Fire. Noticed how I capitalized the F. 23 TD's/4 INT's/2703 passing yards. But he's only passed for 300 + yards twice...vs the Steelers and the Lions. The Jets are 12th in fewest passing YPG (210.6), allow the 4th worst QB rating (75.8), and is tops in the league in lowest completion percentage allowed by opposing QB's (50.3). They held Tom Brady to his 2nd lowest completion percentage this season (55.6), and his 2nd lowest QBR 72.5. Tom Brady has faced 4 teams this season that has allowed fewer passing yardage per game than the Jets. San Diego, Indy, Miami, Baltimore. In those 4 games vs those upper echelon passing defenses Tom has been sacked 11 of his 15 times this season and has thrown for under 200 yards passing in 3 of those games (SD, Miami, Indy).

Yet we won those games. So I guess yardage stats really are meaningless out of context. Scoring stats and efficiency stats are a little better indicator. Brady's trump the Sanchise in every possible manner. Since the bye Mark has thrown 7 of his 16 TD's along with 6 of his 8 picks...:eek: His overall completion % for the season is only 55% vs. Brady's 65%

4) Tom's two losses: They came vs. teams who run the ball well. Jets are 2nd in the league at rushing yards per game and the Cleveland Browns are 12th. They've faced other teams who run the ball well Minnesota (10th) and the Steelers (9th). The Patriots forced the Steelers to play catch-up after getting a huge lead in the game, therefore forcing them to abandon the run. While the rushing attack was able to get the better of the Minnesota and keep Adrian Peterson off the field. In the two games the Patriots lost they were out gained on the ground by 75 (NYJ) and 136 (Cle). Not only did they keep Tom Brady off the field, they eliminated any running threat and thereby putting more pressure on Tom Brady to be flawless.

In losses othe JETSn the other hand...They could not score a passing TD...not to mention his last 4 wins came largely against non playoff teams who spit the bit (sometimes multiple times) in the waning minutes of those games - as opposed to facing three straight playoff contenders (two of whom we faced on the road...).

5) Multifaceted threat: If you can either take away or match the one or two things that another team can do then you've got a good strategy/game plan. Belichick is a master of both. Problem is the Jets are very good at a lot of things and not GREAT any any one or two things. We all know this will be the best rushing offense the Pats will have faced all season. But what else is there? Well...the Jets avg 40.1 net yards punting (5th in the league) and are tied for the league lead with 26 punts killed inside the 20. They are 2nd in the league in kick return average at 26.9. All this adds up to winning the battle of field position. They are 9th in the league with 37 passing plays of 20+ yards and 6th in the league with 9 passing plays of 40+ yards, both ranking are higher than New England's, despite all the Mark Sanchez naysayers out there. The Jets have only allowed 1 300+ passing game all season (Chad Henne) and that was without Darrelle Revis.

That cuts both ways. We are perhaps the most balanced team in the playoff mix at the moment. Our defense is young (and fast) and gives up lots of yards...but they are beginning to make the plays that are the foundation of the bend but don't break defense that won us 3 out of 4 of the 9 championships contested in the last 9 years. We used to have one thing that teams could try and take away. We've moved on from that scenario. We now have 4-5 things you all have to try and take away simultaneously. Since the move only one team has managed to meet that challenge...in a trap game that was a learning tool for BB. The JETS have been playing down to inferior competition for the last month. There was only one QB with the potential for a 300+ yard game in the mix, and considering he plays for a perrenial disapointment...you were lucky to escape with another close shave there.

Quite frankly...The Patriots have not faced a team this season who is above average with regards to running the ball & defending the run & defending the pass & explosive pass plays with the punting/kicking to win the field position battle all rolled into one. Not to mention the Jets have the 4th best starting field position in the NFL. This is the best combination of offense, defense and special teams in the NFL. This is why I think the Jets will win by a touchdown next Monday.

Why I thought we had faced at least one of those... It isn't even arguable we've faced a tougher schedule and more playoff contenders than the JETS. We still have to face GB (who shut you out), as well as Chicago and a potentially resurgent Buffalo as well as Miami. You have yet to face those last three plus the 8-3 Steelers. Which is why I think we win the division without getting into tie breakers.

I predict Jets 27 - Patriots 20.

Predictions are fools play. That said, I predict Brady will break the tie and hold the record for most consecutive home game wins by a comfortable margin come the end of this regular season.

People want to Jump on the San Diego Chargers bandwagon...but of their 5 losses 3 of them were to teams under .500. Not me sir. Would rather barely win vs sub .500 teams than lose to them

That's like loser on loser crime... I'd rather win in the playoffs than anything, but that probably comes from a decade of watching my team do that more often than yours...

I will be here all week, respectful, and would appreciate the same in return.

Oh joy. The real question is will you be here next week?

Reponses....comments...rebuttals?

The thread title speaks volumes...An Jets fan...

Get it? In New England, our REBUILDING years look like this. When we lose the best QB on earth in the first game, we still go 11-5 riding the greenest backup in NFL history.

Let's call a spade a spade, eh? :)

I dont even know why the pats should even show up on monday..how can they possibly compete with the jets...they have won 3 SB's this decade...wait...wrong team

mankins is a bigger addition to the pats than either pace or holmes to the jets.

where was the last away game they lost? thought so.

in the week 2 loss, the pats had no problems moving the ball on the jets at will until they decided to force it to randy moss.

LT is not as effective as he was in week 2

the subtraction of randy moss and the addition of deion branch has made the pats offense much harder to predict and stop. the return of dink and dunk will kill the jets because it is the one thing their defense has no answer for. I want to see jim leonard match up on rob gronkowski. I want to see any jets LB try to run with hernandez. between the deep middle and the flat, the jets LB's will be chasing their tails. The blitz will not work, but if the jets don't blitz and give brady all day, then he will destroy them.

38-20, pats

Nice, i couldn't have said it better myself.

Stat's are for losers!
Damn you beat me to it. :mad: Cause if you went by stats, defensive stats, the pats would be 2-9 instead of 9-2.

Last edited:

The Patriots have faced two teams ranked higher: The Chargers (3rd) and the Steelers (1st). They both held the Patriots rushing attack under 100+ yards.

You are Incorrect.

The Patriots rushed for 103 yards vs. the Steelers, on 24 carries, for 4.3 yards per carry, vs. the #1 rushing defense in the league.

look it up: New England Patriots vs. Pittsburgh Steelers - Box Score - November 14, 2010 - ESPN

Last edited:

I have to point out that the Patriots had 103 yards rushing against the Steelers...

Are you really flying home for the game?

Yeah man. Actually, I asked my boss to schedule our winter sales meeting/holiday party for next week so I'd have an excuse to fly home and see the game. So this game is actually dictating the schedule of 30 or 40 of my colleagues, from RI to Canada to California to the UK.

I appreciate the post from the Jet fan -- no trash talk, strong opinion with some stats at least trying to back up that opinion and an open-minded attitude toward rebuttal. Meanwhile, the vast majority of posters here act like MOST messageboard posters, which is not how Ian or many of the rest of us who've been here awhile wish members of patsfans would behave. This is supposed to be a UNIQUE football messageboard. Let's act like it.

Thank God for guys like convertedpatsfan and Patriot in NY.

you highlight the changes for the positive for the Jets (experience for younger guys, Pace and Revis being healthy) but ignore the negative changes for the Jets (running game not as good as earlier in the year, Sanchez won't be catching NE by surprise this time).

you also ignore the changes for the positive for the Pats (more balanced offense, more experience for impact guys like McCourtey and Gronk, Mankins being back).

i believe NE rushed for 100 yards against the Steelers, but even if they didn't they definitely ran well against them. it is misleading and wrong to say that they didn't run well against the #1 ranked rushing defense.

if it also misleading and wrong to focus on 300 yard passing games. NE has been ahead in most games and hasn't needed to air it out late. Brady would have a lot more 300+ yard games if NE were trailing in them.

i appreciate the view from the other side. truthfully no one has any idea who is going to win until next monday. i just wanted to point out some spots where i thought your reasoning was a little off.

It's time to move all Jets propaganda to the visitor's locker room, if not then the trash!

You know, I've gone back & forth on this, but I gotta say I don't see the point of posting on another team's board. It's either trash talking, or this kind of stilted, "I come in peace" Indians meeting the Pilgrims kind of post.

I think everyone is internet saavy enough to find what other fans are thinking.

Actually, I'd probably prefer trash talking over this kind of poorly reasoned "backed by stats" stuff. Yeech.

The OP makes a compelling case. Ultimately this game comes down the battle between Patriots O-line and Jets D-line. That's it, that's the wildcard. The Jets won't put up huge points on us, but they will put up points (say, 24), that hasn't changed all that much.

The question is whether our O-Line gives Brady enough time to throw, keep him from getting completely rattled, and can punch some holes in the Jets D to give Woodhead and Green-Ellis some yards.

Lucky for the Pats, BB has completely restructured our offense with the trading of Moss. This restructuring lets us beat teams like the Jets, for all the reasons people pointed out (two new monster TEs, a rejuvenated running game, etc). It takes advantage of Brady's greatest strength, his intelligence at reading defenses and finding the guy that is open in their schemes (yes, he was great at hitting Moss with the long ball, but his real strength is his accuracy, speed, and decision-making).

Plus, don't forget, I'm gonna be at this game, coming up from North Carolina for my first Patriots game since the Brady-Belichick era began. I will single-handedly help the Patriots get points by distracting the Jets.

So, don't forget about the 12th man in this equation. The Jets have won away games this year, but not in Foxboro baby!

I predict no blowout, but a bloody dogfight that goes to the end. But I am cautiously optimistic about our chances, I'd say if they play 10 games, Patriots win 6.

Last edited:

C)Calvin Pace as a pass rusher/run stoper: He missed the first 4 games of the season. How will his presence in this game help with the pass rush/run game?
Calvin Pace is severely overrated and severely overpaid. Calvin Pace is no Shaun Phillips and the New England Patriots already played the San Diego Chargers.

Having no Moss on the Pats is worth 2 td's.......Revis had him on an island except for the one handed TD catch....

More diverse offense now...Mankins back....Woody and BJGE a nice one-two punch on the ground ......Branch and Brady now in sync again....Welker 100% back from surgery.....Gronk and Hernandez now know the offense.....McCourty has become as good a CB as BB thought he might be......the rookies are no longer wet behind the ears.....

It depends which Jet offense shows up.....I don't think they can keep up with the Patriots O......

Turnovers may well again determine game outcome, then again I can also see Patriots winning by double digits....

Will be a war either way.....and the crowd will be noisy making Jets job even more difficult...

I like Brady and the Pats chances for breaking the home win streak record on Monday Night. :rocker:

can't imagine the jets winning in NE on MNF.

brady is 59-10 at home, or 60-10 in the regular season

with 4 undefeated home seasons

that's pretty incredible

this will be his 5th home unbeaten season, unprecedented

for comparison's sake, peyton manning's done it once

Plus, don't forget, I'm gonna be at this game, coming up from North Carolina for my first Patriots game since the Brady-Belichick era began. I will single-handedly help the Patriots get points by distracting the Jets.

I don't think the media has given this angle nearly enough attention.

Stats are for losers and Fantasy Football Freaks. The only thing that counts is the number of W's.

Let's play the game and see what happens.

It's time to move all Jets propaganda to the visitor's locker room, if not then the trash!

As long as he is respectful, I have no problem with him or any other Jets fan posting on the main board. It is beligerent morons who I think should get banned.

Jets fans on other sites complain about this site banning them and other Jets fans, but looking at their boards their moderators should be quicker to ban their own posters because some of the vile crap their poster post. I have been called fa**ot, a** whipe, and other crap that would never fly on this board and shouldn't on their's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft