PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec. 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

you're right...pats have no chance....

i hope all the media ppl agree with you OP

Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

Wow, this is a pretty shallow thread. Before the Jets got Holmes and Pace into their lineup, a lot of Jets fans said they would go from very good to unstoppably awesome. I think the close wins have deluded you into thinking they are better than they are, because the rest of the country believes the Jets have not improved much at all, if any, since the first meeting.

You act like these guys like Pace and Holmes are incredible players. Well, other teams have managed to marginalize them.

In Week 2, the Patriots were a team that had won 1 of their last 8 road games, a disgruntled star wide receiver, their most dependable wide receiver in his second game back from an ACL injury, and completely lacked leadership and confidence.

One of the beautiful aspects of this game is that it won't be all glamour and a high-octane showtime shootout. It boils down IMO to our O-line holding their own vs. the Jets D-line. I am glad to have Mankins back, Connoly playing well, Koppen showing more than I expected, Seabass being Seabass, Light doing his job too, and Alge just being a devastating blocker as an extra O-lineman. Hopefully Neal is back in the rotation as well, and Gronk has learned to block.

I wonder if Revis and Cromartie will cover shifty change-of-direction, multiple move guys as well as they did a "burner" who doesn't make them think as much.

I also see our tight ends being a serious matchup problem that we now know we can trust, at least moreso than back in week 2.

The Jets good luck is about to end

Last edited:

First some opinions about differences between week 2 and now:

A) Santonio Holmes as a receiving threat: How will the Patriots deal with him?

B) A 100% Darrelle Revis: Who will he cover and can he be as effective as he has been recently? Revis has held Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Calvin "Megatron" Johnson, and Terrell Owens to 61 yards total. Will Tom Brady be afraid to throw in his direction?

C)Calvin Pace as a pass rusher/run stoper: He missed the first 4 games of the season. How will his presence in this game help with the pass rush/run game?

D) O-Line improvement: Jets had a 2nd year player starting in only his second game at RG (Matt Slauson). The Patriots had 3 sacks that game. That has only happened 1 other time this season (Hou). Part of that is Mark Sanchez's ability to escape the rush and still make plays. Will a team that's currently 21's in sacks be able to get constant pressure on the QB? Will they be able to contain Sanchez once/if he escapes the pocket?

Besides said differences between week 2 and now...there are some other things I wanna see:

1) Sumthin's gotta give: Either Tom Brady's 25 straight (regular season) home wins will cease or the Jets current 8 straight (regular season) road winning streak cease. Jets are a better road team than home team anyway, winning 11 of the last 15 games on the road including the playoffs.

2) Danny's impact: Will Danny Woodhead and the Patriot running game have an impact in the game vs the Jets? The stats say 'no' he would not. The Jets are the NFL's 4th best rush defense: The Patriots have faced two teams ranked higher: The Chargers (3rd) and the Steelers (1st). They both held the Patriots rushing attack under 100+ yards.

3) Sumthin's gotta give part two: Tom Brady is on Fire. Noticed how I capitalized the F. 23 TD's/4 INT's/2703 passing yards. But he's only passed for 300 + yards twice...vs the Steelers and the Lions. The Jets are 12th in fewest passing YPG (210.6), allow the 4th worst QB rating (75.8), and is tops in the league in lowest completion percentage allowed by opposing QB's (50.3). They held Tom Brady to his 2nd lowest completion percentage this season (55.6), and his 2nd lowest QBR 72.5. Tom Brady has faced 4 teams this season that has allowed fewer passing yardage per game than the Jets. San Diego, Indy, Miami, Baltimore. In those 4 games vs those upper echelon passing defenses Tom has been sacked 11 of his 15 times this season and has thrown for under 200 yards passing in 3 of those games (SD, Miami, Indy).

4) Tom's two losses: They came vs. teams who run the ball well. Jets are 2nd in the league at rushing yards per game and the Cleveland Browns are 12th. They've faced other teams who run the ball well Minnesota (10th) and the Steelers (9th). The Patriots forced the Steelers to play catch-up after getting a huge lead in the game, therefore forcing them to abandon the run. While the rushing attack was able to get the better of the Minnesota and keep Adrian Peterson off the field. In the two games the Patriots lost they were out gained on the ground by 75 (NYJ) and 136 (Cle). Not only did they keep Tom Brady off the field, they eliminated any running threat and thereby putting more pressure on Tom Brady to be flawless.

5) Multifaceted threat: If you can either take away or match the one or two things that another team can do then you've got a good strategy/game plan. Belichick is a master of both. Problem is the Jets are very good at a lot of things and not GREAT any any one or two things. We all know this will be the best rushing offense the Pats will have faced all season. But what else is there? Well...the Jets avg 40.1 net yards punting (5th in the league) and are tied for the league lead with 26 punts killed inside the 20. They are 2nd in the league in kick return average at 26.9. All this adds up to winning the battle of field position. They are 9th in the league with 37 passing plays of 20+ yards and 6th in the league with 9 passing plays of 40+ yards, both ranking are higher than New England's, despite all the Mark Sanchez naysayers out there. The Jets have only allowed 1 300+ passing game all season (Chad Henne) and that was without Darrelle Revis.

Quite frankly...The Patriots have not faced a team this season who is above average with regards to running the ball & defending the run & defending the pass & explosive pass plays with the punting/kicking to win the field position battle all rolled into one. Not to mention the Jets have the 4th best starting field position in the NFL. This is the best combination of offense, defense and special teams in the NFL. This is why I think the Jets will win by a touchdown next Monday.

I predict Jets 27 - Patriots 20.

People want to Jump on the San Diego Chargers bandwagon...but of their 5 losses 3 of them were to teams under .500. Not me sir. Would rather barely win vs sub .500 teams than lose to them

I will be here all week, respectful, and would appreciate the same in return.

Reponses....comments...rebuttals?

Did you really expect people to go 'Oh f**k it! You won the game already'??

Yeah man. Actually, I asked my boss to schedule our winter sales meeting/holiday party for next week so I'd have an excuse to fly home and see the game. So this game is actually dictating the schedule of 30 or 40 of my colleagues, from RI to Canada to California to the UK.

Legendary!

What's your record for flying in to games from China? Was it last year you attended a Patriots win?

As long as he is respectful, I have no problem with him or any other Jets fan posting on the main board.
The OP's rant is nothing more than pure propaganda. This message board deserves better than the "Joseph Goebbels of the Gang Green website".

It is beligerent morons who I think should get banned.
I never said he should be banned. However, in my humble opinion, Jets Fans should only post in certain area on any Patriots fansite message board. For instance, an area called the "PlayPen" complete with pacifiers, bibs, diapers, rattles, et cetera would be the perfect spot for Jets Fans to spew their drool.

I do not underestimate the Jets. They have a lot of talented players
and would not be total surprise if they play a great game and beat the PATs.

When these two teams play often it is a close game that could go either way. It is what you expect from two division rivals.

When they play it will come down to execution. The team that performs
best with the plays they practiced will win.
Expect both HC's to have a good game plans so it will come down to
execution by both offense and defense.

All that has happened this season will only matters in as much as each
player has learned from those experiences.
I can't say about the JETs players but I know several of the PATs players
have learned a lot and are applying the learning on game day.

Truthfully, the PATs defense is still a work in progress. They are too
inconsistent at present. You might see a D that is one of the worst in
the league or you might see a D that looks like it belongs in the top 5.

If the D plays one of their better games the JETs will not win. If PATs
D plays one of its bad games JETs will score over 20 points and maybe
even over 30.
If PATs D is not good, it will take a great offensive day for the PATS to
come out on top.
I will be very surprised if JETs D can keep PATs to less than 20 points.

One indication might be hearing Brady say they had a great
week of practice. If he says that then JETs watch out.

His first statement makes zero sense, if Jets are better on the road by winning 11/15 wouldn't NE be a hell of a lot better at home consistently winning under Bill/Brady. That means whatever happened in NJ can go completely 360 at Foxboro, what a bias idiot.

Plus, don't forget, I'm gonna be at this game, coming up from North Carolina for my first Patriots game since the Brady-Belichick era began. I will single-handedly help the Patriots get points by distracting the Jets.

:rocker:

Word.

The OP's rant is nothing more than pure propaganda. This message board deserves better than the "Joseph Goebbels of the Gang Green website".

I never said he should be banned. However, in my humble opinion, Jets Fans should only post in certain area on any Patriots fansite message board. For instance, an area called the "PlayPen" complete with pacifiers, bibs, diapers, rattles, et cetera would be the perfect spot for Jets Fans to spew their drool.

I believe message boards are for debating different ideas. I don't care if Jets fans post on the main site as long as they play nicely. Many people on this board do the same on their fan sites.

Plus, don't forget, I'm gonna be at this game, coming up from North Carolina for my first Patriots game since the Brady-Belichick era began. I will single-handedly help the Patriots get points by distracting the Jets.

You might have a lot of success in distracting Rex Ryan by bringing up some of that great North Carolina barbeque.

I am a little concerned, though, that you might also reel in big Vince at the same time! ;)

Appreciate the post, and I'm not going to go through to see if all that you say is accurate. However, one jumps out at me both as not true, and as slanted to make a point despite the truth.

Case in point. You say that the Pats were held to under 100+ yards rushing as a team, against the Steelers. Even if that were true, it misses what really happened in that game. The Patriots moved at ease against the Steelers, and spread the offense such that they didn't need to rush the ball alot. They scored THIRTY NINE points against the Steelers. You didn't mention that.

Finally while they only rushed the ball 24 times, they DID rush for more than 100, had a 4.3 yards per carry game, and their backup rusher alone (Fred Taylor was out injured) rushed the ball 18 times for 87, and a 4.8 yard per carry average.

2) Danny's impact: Will Danny Woodhead and the Patriot running game have an impact in the game vs the Jets? The stats say 'no' he would not. The Jets are the NFL's 4th best rush defense: The Patriots have faced two teams ranked higher: The Chargers (3rd) and the Steelers (1st). They both held the Patriots rushing attack under 100+ yards.

The Patriots rushed for 103 yards against the Steelers, according to both NFL.com and Pro-football-reference.com. That's more than 100 yards, not less. To date, the Patriots are the only team that has exceeded 75 yards rushing against the Steelers.

Last edited:

The stats state that the Jets will win unless you qualify the stats and who wants to do that. We would rather focus on what happened in September and forget that the stats from mid October on are trending towards the Pats being being better. This is why I hate using season stats to prove who is better.

respectful original post but reading that makes one think the pats have zero chance and the jets have improved leap and bounds and the pats have regressed.

The Pats have clearly played better recently except for the weird Browns game. And watching the Jets play in Cleveland, I could see how that could happen.

Even in NYC, most pundits have been saying these same things I read here (recently). That the Jets are getting lucky, that they may be this good and this talented but they are not playing like it (the ''haven't played a complete game yet'' stuff).

IF the Jets expect to play the same way they have, they will not win on the road at New England. The Pats are just too good. What Jets fans, or at least I, am hoping to see is the team that has shown up in spurts for an entire game.

If they do that, and Sanchez is smart with the football, I think this is a very tough game. If they are sloppy and come out slow as they have, Pats 30-13 or something. This is not a team that will piss away chances that the Jets give them. Not now. In week 2, and I was there, the Jets gave the Pats the chance to be up 24-3 at the half. The Pats just were not ready (youth? Moss?) to take advantage of that. They are now.

I said it in another post, I think as good as the Patriots offense is, the Jets will slow them down. They will use Revis and Cromartie to slow Welker and Branch, and probably play combo coverage of the TE/Slots. I bet the come out ''forcing'' the Pats to run. As good as the Patriots have been running it, I would always rather see Brady hand off than drop back.

The key to all games is turnovers (duh) but that is even more so with the Jets and Sanchez. They give the Pats short fields, game over. I don't expect the Jets to turnover the Pats much if at all. So the Jets can't give them freebies.

One thing bugs me about all this "Jets are great!!! Look how I break it down!!!" talk by eifmp....just exactly how does one reconcile or explain the Zero Zorro bed crapping that occurred AFTER a bye week to prepare,ON the Jets home field, WITH a totally healthy offense and defense?

At least the Jets won't have TWO weeks to prepare before they DON'T show up and get shut out.

Another thing I worry about as a Jets fan is Nick Folk. The guy is SHAKY.

How do you guys feel about your new kicker? Last time we saw him, he was shanking away in the playoff game in Cinci...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back