PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All-Overrated Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually they were 8th. Over the last 10 years, the best description of the Miami run D vs medicore, sometimes bad.
Thomas HAS BEEN (key phrase where he is concerned) touted as a great MLB. Doesn't the standard of being EXCELLENT come along with that? You can name 3 good years in a decade? You are making my point.

per DVOA, the Miami run defense ranking since 2002

2006: 3
2005: 10
2004: 9
2003: 2
2002: 6

thats pretty damn good. the larger point is still that 1 great run stopping LB can't make a great run defense, and for that, look no further than Ted Johnson 2002.

Last edited:
answer: "Zach Attack!"

question: "what do you call a woozy sawed off runt with severe concussion syndrome?"

BTW Aqua...it really is too bad and brings a tear to my eye that Dan won't get his ring...just tragic

I want to make sure I understand.
Freeney is poor at sacking the QB. That is a fact, shwon by 9 sacks in 25 games. We have to agree on that.
You are defending him by saying well even though he can't sack the QB he's is really good at ALMOST sacking the QB. You have nothing to back this up other than a random number that is not an official statistic, pulled from a website that INFLATED his other official statistics by more than double. Additionally this made up stat cannot be compared to other players.
So you ASSUME that he ALMOST gets to the QB a lot. Even though we cannot define a lot because statistics are not kept.
I am to believe that the guys who are sacking the QB 2 or 3 times as much, get close a ton less than Freeney. Sure that makes a lot of sense. Freeney gets near the QB all day long, but never to him, but the guy who is getting sacks never gets near him except on the sacks. Yeah right.
So to say Freeney is not overrated is to say that the above qualifies him to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

Again, to review. Freeneys job is to rush the QB. He is bad at getting sacks. But since there is an unveriable excuse (well he is near the QB more than the guys who sack the QB a lot) that is a solid argument that he is the best defensive player in the NFL.

The most ludicrous argument Ive ever seen.

By the way, you refer to my argument as all or nothing. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I can PROVE Freeney sucks at the ALL part. You are guessing that he is any better than the guys who get a ton more sacks at getting close. Logic says if player A gets more sacks than player B, he is most likley 'pressuring' the QB more often too. Or are you saying while that guy has better skills at getting the QB than Freeney he somehow has worse skills at getting close?

You are a resourceful guy, go to some research. My guess is that there are other outfits out there (other than the NFL) that crunch these types of numbers all the time. Many people here have agreed as well. He gets double teams, he get pressures. Defenses have to account for him. Leave him in single coverage, and he;ll sack you for a safety, or force you to perform leg whips, bottom line. He's developed a pretty nice bull rush too. But hey, fine, he sucks, I guess Simeon will be an upgrade:rolleyes: Julius Peppers is a guy you need to go after, he's not getting any sacks, nor is he getting any pressures.

They count sacks, and they count pressures. So yeah, if a guy is getting to a QB, and sacking him, great, but as his sack totals go up, his pressures go down, cause his pressures are turned into sacks. Freeney plays hard for 60 minutes. He doesn't take plays off, he makes defenses account for him, and he plays the right side. Isn't LEFT TACKLE the most important position on the O-line? Why is that? Would it stand to reason that he goes up against the best of the best at his spot? You're a hater, plain and simple, and not to mention, over-rated.

....yawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn....

When I hear overated I immediately think of

a)Michael Vick

b)Daunte Culpepper

c)Steve McNair

d) Vince Young

Don't like Black QB's, eh. There are tons of White QB's who should be on your list.

nope....just think that each of them was touted as the next great game changing QB...and they haven't been

mind reading another one of your prodigious talents, eh?

Javon Kearse is benched for this weekend and probably the rest of the year according to ESPN. He's been out of the spotlight for a while but I always thought he was majorly over-rated and the Eagles way overpaid for him.

Carson Palmer.
I don't think Palmer is overrated, but Philip Rivers definitely is. I can't believe the fans picked him over Brady to go to the Pro Bowl last year.

sigh. just b/c the team is great doesn't mean that every single player is perfect and nobody is overrated.

Exactly. Heaven forbid someone say a bad word or two about any of the pats and you have the pats homer army ready to strike. Overrated Pats players? Glass Maroney and Richard Seymour are the two that come to mind.

You are a resourceful guy, go to some research. My guess is that there are other outfits out there (other than the NFL) that crunch these types of numbers all the time. Many people here have agreed as well. He gets double teams, he get pressures. Defenses have to account for him. Leave him in single coverage, and he;ll sack you for a safety, or force you to perform leg whips, bottom line. He's developed a pretty nice bull rush too. But hey, fine, he sucks, I guess Simeon will be an upgrade:rolleyes: Julius Peppers is a guy you need to go after, he's not getting any sacks, nor is he getting any pressures.

They count sacks, and they count pressures. So yeah, if a guy is getting to a QB, and sacking him, great, but as his sack totals go up, his pressures go down, cause his pressures are turned into sacks. Freeney plays hard for 60 minutes. He doesn't take plays off, he makes defenses account for him, and he plays the right side. Isn't LEFT TACKLE the most important position on the O-line? Why is that? Would it stand to reason that he goes up against the best of the best at his spot? You're a hater, plain and simple, and not to mention, over-rated.

Now you are babbling.
There is nothing in this diatribe you have written that isn't part of being a DE (OK a a RIGHT DE). You are trying to argue that Freeney isn't overrated.
I say he is overrated because his 'rating' is that he is considered one of the top few DEs in the game, and is the highest paid defensive player in the league.

Here is my definition of what being properly rated as one of the top few DEs and the highest paid player would be.
1) EXTREMELY PRODUCTIVE
2) Clearly better than players at his position
3) A complete player
4) Consistent

Your criteria seems to be that if you can argue that"
1) People think he is good (This is how you become overrated)
2) There are 'other things' he does that makes his poor production equal to someone with good proudction----here you have not shown me the numbers of ANY of the players who get more sacks than him, in this dubious 'pressure' category. So anything you say about it is irrelevant until you can show how he compares to the other players
---In essence you are saying Freeney getting 9 sacks in 25 games is better than player X who got 19 sacks in 25 games, because Freeney has a certain number of pressures, but you don't know how many pressures player X got.
3) You feel you can argue how good he is by describing what a RDE is. If every other RDE deals with that, how is it pertinent to why he isnt overrated compared to other RDEs who are more producitive. Are you honestly trying to tell me that RDEs dont get sacks? I think you will find they are the ones getting the most. (Hint, the best Ts are LTs because defenses tend to oput their best pass rusher on that side)

To cap if off, you decide to personally attack me, as if I am a bad person because I think other players are better than Freeney, but common perception disagrees.

Lets try this:

Answer these questions:

1) Dwight Freeney is approximately the ____________th best DE in the NFL.
2) Is Dwight Freeney deserving of being the highest paid defensive player in the nfl, meaning he is the best defensive player in the NFL?

That will show that you probabyl actually agree he is overrated. (I'm sure you do, but dont like it, and thats why you can actually put your name on such a lame argument as the one above)

per DVOA, the Miami run defense ranking since 2002

2006: 3
2005: 10
2004: 9
2003: 2
2002: 6

thats pretty damn good. the larger point is still that 1 great run stopping LB can't make a great run defense, and for that, look no further than Ted Johnson 2002.

Please tellme you didnt just call Ted Johnson of 2002 a great run stopping LB.
He was in 1996, by 2002 he was atrocious.

TE - Jeremy Shockey
S - Roy Williams
RB - Reggie Bush

Since I have critiqued your piece, I'll do mine as well.

QB Vince Young- Most over rated player in the league, averages a combination of fumbles or interceptions twice per game. No credit is given to his defense and VY is the most inaccurate thrower in the league.
Runner up- Phillip Rivers

RB Joseph Addai- Faces nickel and dime packages all the time and then when Manning was going last week against San Diego, we all saw the real Addai. Shifty and quick runner, but nothing stands out about Addai the way Westbrook and Parker do in speed and the way Ronnie Brown and Steven Jackson do in power.
Runner up- Reggie Bush

WR Marques Colston- So many people said he was a top 10 WR after his good rookie season but he hasn't done anything this year. Had a great year in 2006, but he was a 7th round pick for a reason.
Runner up- Javon Walker

TE Randy McMichael- When in Miami he was often touted as a top 10 TE. He dropped so many huge passes and had terrible ball security when running with it.
Runner up- Ben Watson

OT D'brickashaw Ferguson- Supposed to be one of the best OLmen to ever come out and has done nothing with the Jets.
Runner up- Levi Jones

OG Robert Gallery- He's played every position except center in his less then impressive career in Oakland after being a top 3 pick. He's found some comfort level recently but no where near worth a top 3 pick.
Runner up- Leonard Davis

C Kevin Mawae- The cheap shot artist is old and is still a good center, but doesn't belong with Kruetz, Saturday and Birk like many say he does.
Runner up- Nick Mangold

DE John Abraham- Hasn't really done anything in Atlanta because of an injury but hasn't shown any spark since becoming healthy either.
Runner up- Will Smith

DT Albert Haynesworth-
Yes, he's having an awesome year but I have to believe it's due to a contract year. When Haynesworth gets paid, he'll go back to being average.
Runner up- Kris Jenkins

OLB Joey Porter- Gets a ton of air time because of his mouth and has done a whole lot of nothing in Miami. He has played better recently but is not worth the money they gave him.
Runner up- Ian Gold

MLB Jonathan Vilma- Doesn't fit the system well in NYJ and has really fluttered after a pretty good rookie season.
Runner up- Will Witherspoon

CB Nate Clements- Any time you receive a contract like Clements did you're going to struggle to live up to it. Is not making plays and isn't a top 5 cover corner yet he gets paid like he is.
Close runner up- Asante Samuel.

S Roy Williams- Plenty of better safeties in the league yet his image makes some believe he's something he's not. Dawkins, Sanders, Reed, Polumalu, Taylor, Wilson and Rhodes are all better safties.
Runner up- Darren Sharper

Last edited:
Much as I think you are a moron Aqua :D , I can't dispute your list much.... I still think Rivers Starts at QB.

Please tellme you didnt just call Ted Johnson of 2002 a great run stopping LB.
He was in 1996, by 2002 he was atrocious.

atrocious enough that he still got more tackles than Tedy Bruschi

he was still in the prime of his career in 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft