PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All-Overrated Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delete Zack Thomas and add Joey Porter.

Here is my all-overrated team. Off the top of my head, so apologies to the stiffs I forgot.

QB- McNabb. Least accurate passer that anyone tries to call good, with the possible exception of his backup on the AOT, Vince Young (POSSIBLE exception because I think anyone daring to call him good would say he throws like a girl in their next breath)
RB- Willis McGahee. Perfectly set up for the AOT. Great potential, had career threatening injury, came back, so everyone assumes he has now fulfilled that potential. Goes on to have accomplished next to nothing, and show a 3rd grade level of maturity.
WR- TO. He's a good receiver, but not as good as many think he is, and his personality and mouth by themselves, and how they hurt a team, would make him overrated even if he was Jerry Rice.
Chris Chambers. He makes plays, but the opinion of his is as if he makes 10 times more than he does. In Miami, with the players around him, he should have caught 100 passes a year if he was a top WR, but he didnt even lead his team last year, Welker did, playing about 40% as many snaps.
Hon Mention. Santana Moss, only HM because everyone has figured out he sucks by now.
TE- Shockey. You would think listening to commentators on Giants game that he had WR speed, agility and skills. Then you watch him and see a slow, bull in a china shop guy. He looks uncoordinated to me. And he cant block at all.
OL- Marcus McNeil. Had a good rookie year, but is nowhere near as good as he was last year, nor close to what many people think he is. Kevin Mawae. Thug. Chris Snee. A pretty decent OL, but is being called all-pro caliber. I see him screw up a lot. Seems to have penalties at the worst times, and fans on his blocks too much for my liking. (Caveat: his penalties may seem more frequent because every time he has one it is pointed out he's married to his coaches daughter) Olin Kreutz. Good center, but he has more fumbled snaps that anyone in the league. Cant all be the QB.
DE- Freeney. Ive wrote volumes lately on this. But when all you are asked to do is rush the QB, and you get 9 sacks in 25 games, basically, you stink. You're insane brother. Why don't don't you do a tour around the NFL and ask some head coaches what they think about Freeney? Why don't you ask some of them about his ability to PUT PRESSURE on the QB? You're "all or nothing" attitude toward QB sacks makes you look silly.
Michael Strahan. Way, way too past his prime to still be talked about as a good player.
DT- Corey Redding. Keep hearing how great this guy is. He isn't. He was a OLB/DE hybrid who couldn't cut it there and bulked up and moved inside. Gets some sacks because of the system, but is a liability against the run.
J Williams. Yes he is a good NT. But when John Madden and everyone else says "You cannot run on the Chargers because of him" that makes him overrated. Until I see a DL who can make plays at the l.o.s. in 8 different gaps, I will consider any comment that one player stops the run by himself the greatest example of overrated there is.
LB- Zack Thomas. A good player, but very overrated. I have a very hard time considering a guy who makes tackles when no blocker comes near him, because of the system, a special player. The Dolphin D has always been about occupying blockers so Thomas can run free, so he makes a bunch of tackles. However, when offenses are able to get a blocker to him, he cannot shed the block (even of a FB). Any MLB can make tackles when no one blocks them. A great MLB makes plays then, and also when he isn't running free.
Jonathan Vilma. See Thomas.
Ray Lewis. Once a great LB, he is now just a mouth with a football players body attached. At this point he is firmly below average for his postion.
Cato June. Its great when a LB gets some Ints, but getting Ints does not make up for being weak at the point of attack in the running game.
CB- Dre Bly. Never understood why he was highly regarded to begin with. Mediocre corner, but all of sudden, he hits FA and is being called a great corner. I don't think any pre-2008 publiciations will be making that claim.
Ronde Barber. Perhaps not overrated for the system he is in, because he is very good at cover2 responsiblities, but to think he could succeed in a system that asked him to play man, or not have consistent help over the top is foolish.
S- Bob Sanders. He may be a pro-bowl caliber guy if he could ever stay healthy. But the commentary on him is ridiculous. There is no a safety EVER BORN that can shut down the run. There have been many safeties over the years that have played in systems that have them up at the l.o.s. (usually not lined up there but coming up after the snap) where they go unblocked to the point of attack, and those safeties make a lot of plays. They make none however if the players at the point of attack dont do their job. Safeties making the tackles in the running game is a result of SCHEME. Any competant safety would have as much impact as Sanders in the Colt run D (as long as he doesnt miss a bunch of tackles) if given the same assignment. Sanders perhaps does better in this than an average safety, but common perception is that he is doing something extraordinary and he isn't.Oh, he's extraordinart all right. I guess if everyone did their job, then there would be no such thing as a Pro Bowler. Sander does his job better than most.
Roy Williams. I think that if you could take your Fullback, split him out and get one on one coverage with Roy Williams, 75% of the teams in the NFL would throw for 150 yards to him.
HC- Norv is easy, but if you stink and everyone knows it are you really overrated? Jeff Fisher gets a lot of mention as a top HC, but his record shows mediocrity. I think you have to go with someone here who has won a SB, because when rating coaches that usually separates opinions, so I would nominate Jon Gruden. He couldn't win the big game with a very good Raider team (and IMO, he had good enough talent to do so, but his gameplanning and system prevented it.....i.e. throwing the ball 45 times a game with Rich Gannon behind a great OL while Charlie Garner averaged 5 yards a carry) and since winning the SB his first year in TB, that team has consistently gotten worse. But the winner of the HC of the AOT has to be Brian Billick. "Offensive genius" who hasn't had even an average offense in almost 10 years of trying, he also has figured out how to have what many people consider a great defense (Ravens D would definitely be the winner in the all-Overated unit list) and have it not be able to win a big game for him. Tough call between Billick and Gruden because Billick won his SB mostly because Grudens team choked in the AFCC against him, but Gruden won his only by beating the team he taught how to not win the big one. I'll go with Billick, primarily because he gets close enough to big games to get overrated and then to choke in them, while Gruden just avoids even reaching the playoffs to mitigated his overratedness by not being rated well anyway.

Most over rated "poster"=Andy Johnson

"DE- Freeney. Ive wrote volumes lately on this. But when all you are asked to do is rush the QB, and you get 9 sacks in 25 games, basically, you stink."

No. Go pick up a copy of Pro Football Prospectus 2007, and read the Beyond Sacks chapter. Sacks aren't the best way to judge pass rushers. Dwight Freeney led the NFL with 33 QB hurries last year.

in addition, he occupies blockers

Last edited:
Any quarterback with the last name "Manning"

Dude leads the league in drops every year. He's terribly overrated. He runs his mouth, that's why people talk about him.

He's also headed for his 6th Pro Bowl and is 4th all-time in TD receptions.

People may talk about him because he runs his mouth, but his mouth isn't scoring any TDs.

And who would have ever guessed - not a single Pats player mentioned :eek:

Why would a Pats player be mentioned? The Pats have a 9-0 record...

Who would YOU add?

Why would a Pats player be mentioned? The Pats have a 9-0 record...

Who would YOU add?

sigh. just b/c the team is great doesn't mean that every single player is perfect and nobody is overrated.

sigh. just b/c the team is great doesn't mean that every single player is perfect and nobody is overrated.

It is an interesting question..who would you add? After all of these years they sure as heck haven't been in Pro Bowls or anything. I hardly ever hear any of the talking heads talk about anybody but Brady, Moss etc..and that's only this year.

Wouldn't overrated mean someone who was talked about constantly by the talking heads but wan't really worth all the hype? I certainly can't think of anyone.

This brings up a good point. Who are some of the more overrated Patriot players?

Tedy Bruschi, without a doubt. He leads the league in vote-getting for the Pro Bowl for ILBs, when Adalius Thomas and Seau have both played better than him. Bruschi's just not good anymore. I'd say Seymour, but he's not necessarily overrated, I just think Warren's severely underrated. Other than that, not too many.

Zach Thomas is at the end of his career. No one's saying anything different, really. 7, 8 years ago he was an absolute force. Marcus McNeill is good. TO, Shockey? You're joking, right? Shockey's pretty awesome, sensational hands and plays like someone chopped his balls off, even if he can't block. Bob Sanders, Jamal Williams... great players.

Jeff Fisher as an overrated head coach? What have you been snorting? He has the pitiful Titans maneuvering for playoff position this year, and back during the Patriots run had a couple years where they were undoubtedly the second best team in the league (though having the league's best QB in McNair... yes, better than Brady and Manning... didn't hurt either).

Last edited:
It is an interesting question..who would you add? After all of these years they sure as heck haven't been in Pro Bowls or anything. I hardly ever hear any of the talking heads talk about anybody but Brady, Moss etc..and that's only this year.

Wouldn't overrated mean someone who was talked about constantly by the talking heads but wan't really worth all the hype? I certainly can't think of anyone.

I would say Bruschi. he's kind of an averagish LB at this point, and gets exposed by faster players

I would say Bruschi. he's kind of an averagish LB at this point, and gets exposed by faster players

I think someone pointed out earlier in the thread that we all realize Tedy isn't what he used to be. He's living mostly off of sentiment and history now.

Okay this has to be one of the worst overrated lists ever.

So, instead of actually answering the question, you throw up a buch of BS.

Please tell everyone who is currently OVER-RATED on the Patriots and explain who over-rates them.

I disagree with this. TO is a pretty damn good receiver. Yeah, he's a major a-hole, but he deserves the credit he gets.

I can't agree with you here. With the number of drops he has had in critical situations, he has to be in the over-rated category. He's good, but not nearly ELITE.

Way to many obections but I'll start with the most ridiculous one.

Zach Thomas is over rated? Are you kidding me? He was never considered up there with the Urlacher's and Lewis' yet he produced as much or more every single year. Zach is a better student of the game then Peyton Manning, he locates ball carries better then anyone the past 10 years and in his prime was a play maker. Sorry sir, that's ridiculous.

Your assesment of Thomas is completely flawed. Maybe you watched a game from 2007 but go back to 2003 and that would not be the case one bit. Zach is the best in the league at diagnosing where the hole is and meeting the ball carrier in that hole. The reason he's always free isn't an accident, that's a result of film study and preperation. Get your hands on the 2005 opener against Denver, the Broncos try to run it in from the 1 yard line 3 times and Zach meets Tatum Bell each time forcing the turn over on downs.

Willis McGahee makes no sense either. I've watched him a few times this year and he just bowls people over and cuts pretty good on a knee that isn't the same it once was.

Chris Chambers should've caught 100 balls in those circumstances? You mean the circumstances that showed 10 QBs throwing him the ball and 5 differnet systems under 5 OCs in ust 6 1/4 years there?

How about for over rated player we go with Joseph Addai? The dude faces nickle and dime packages nearly every time and because he breaks a few arm tackles he is supposed to be god. The guy is shifty but not powerful by any means and doesn't have top end speed. Nothing about Addai stands out, put him in a place like Oakland or Miami in 2006 and he would've done NOTHING.

Where are the Patriots on your list like Asante Samuel?

EDIT: Just notice you spelled ZacH wrong.

Gotta love the excuses, Aqua.

As for Samuel, the media might over-rate him, but most Pats fans don't.

If you don't know what QB hurries are, then your evaluating of defensive linemen is completely flawed. How do force turnovers? Get pressure on the QB. I'd rather have the QB make a dumb throw then take a sack.

You clearly don't understand what it means to give a DEFINITION. Its what is used to determine whether or not the situation is applicable.

But who OVER-RATES him. Most knowledgable Pats fans admit this. Just like most said that Asante wasn't worth $10 million a season.

Even though he's a Colt, I feel like I have to defend Sanders. They probably won't miss Freeney, but there's a considerable difference between when Sanders is playing and when he's not.

I think Sanders is a great player, my only issue, can he last with the way he plays

I can't agree with you here. With the number of drops he has had in critical situations, he has to be in the over-rated category. He's good, but not nearly ELITE.

You're putting too much emphasis on drops. He doesn't have the greatest hands, but he's an outstanding route runner, he's good in the open field, he's strong and can block out DBs, he's fast as hell.

If Marvin can't come back to full strength after this injury, TO will almost certainly retire with the 2nd most receiving TDs all-time (he may even if Harrison comes back healthy). Besides Moss, no other active player is even close. If he plays at least one more year, he'll finish in the top 5 all-time in receptions and receiving yards.

He's going to end up in Canton, so I'm not sure how you're defining elite.

Last edited:
I disagree on shockey. He may be a pain in the arse, but he blocks fine and plays hard. He also throws his body around and takes a lot of punishment. I live in the NYC area and see the Giants on TV. Im not saying he is the best in the league, but he is a player.

But who OVER-RATES him. Most knowledgable Pats fans admit this. Just like most said that Asante wasn't worth $10 million a season.

Asante has actually been awesome this year. a true shutdown corner is one of the most valuable guys on the field. it's arguable whether or not he is worth $10m or w/e, but he's not overrated - people think he's awesome and he is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back