PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All-Overrated Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over Rated - how about former Patriots wideout Deion Branch? Remember post after post here maintaining that The Twig was a Top 5 "Reggie Wayne" or even Top 10 elite wideout and that BB should "just pay him" last summer?

He's the sina qua non of over rated.

Last edited:
Well being a person that watched him play in about 100 games I have to disagree. As I said, the tackles he makes are because of diagnosing a play and meeting the running back in the hole. No linebacker does that better then Zach. I've seen him listed outside of the top 5 LBs in football plenty of times so I don't see who's over rating him other then maybe Miami fans.

He's never played behind great DTs and he's been doing what he's been doing for years.

If Thomas is such a great LB, why has Miami never been a good run D?

I'd have to include Shawn Alexander in any overrated player list. Word has been for a while that he's a one trick pony, even during his MVP season. Good blocking let him run downhill, just don't ask him to catch passes, block or break the initial tackle. During his MVP season he caught 15 balls for 78 yds and 1 TD...:eek:

To give him credit where it's due, he does have a real nose for getting into the end zone, which is something that doesn't seem to be a given for all NFL RB's out there (#39 on NE perhaps.) 27 rushing TD's is a handsome amount.

Alexander = past his prime and not a real game changer.

Most over rated "poster"=Andy Johnson

I want to make sure I understand.
Freeney is poor at sacking the QB. That is a fact, shwon by 9 sacks in 25 games. We have to agree on that.
You are defending him by saying well even though he can't sack the QB he's is really good at ALMOST sacking the QB. You have nothing to back this up other than a random number that is not an official statistic, pulled from a website that INFLATED his other official statistics by more than double. Additionally this made up stat cannot be compared to other players.
So you ASSUME that he ALMOST gets to the QB a lot. Even though we cannot define a lot because statistics are not kept.
I am to believe that the guys who are sacking the QB 2 or 3 times as much, get close a ton less than Freeney. Sure that makes a lot of sense. Freeney gets near the QB all day long, but never to him, but the guy who is getting sacks never gets near him except on the sacks. Yeah right.
So to say Freeney is not overrated is to say that the above qualifies him to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

Again, to review. Freeneys job is to rush the QB. He is bad at getting sacks. But since there is an unveriable excuse (well he is near the QB more than the guys who sack the QB a lot) that is a solid argument that he is the best defensive player in the NFL.

The most ludicrous argument Ive ever seen.

By the way, you refer to my argument as all or nothing. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I can PROVE Freeney sucks at the ALL part. You are guessing that he is any better than the guys who get a ton more sacks at getting close. Logic says if player A gets more sacks than player B, he is most likley 'pressuring' the QB more often too. Or are you saying while that guy has better skills at getting the QB than Freeney he somehow has worse skills at getting close?

b/c defense requires more than 1 player

Get Dolphin argument. Marino in 15 years couldn't win because of his supporting cast. Remarkably he went through 15 years of never, ever having decent players around him.
Thomas' job is to stop the run. His team doesnt, so it must be everyone else's fault. In all the years Thomas has been in the NFL, everyone around him has sucked.
I got news for you. If you are a great run stopping MLB, your team stops the run.

Get Dolphin argument. Marino in 15 years couldn't win because of his supporting cast. Remarkably he went through 15 years of never, ever having decent players around him.
Thomas' job is to stop the run. His team doesnt, so it must be everyone else's fault. In all the years Thomas has been in the NFL, everyone around him has sucked.
I got news for you. If you are a great run stopping MLB, your team stops the run.

2002 Ted Johnson says hi

Chad Johnson. Often touted as one of the top 5 WRs in the league, he's not even the best WR on his team (TJ). Chad runs good routes outside of the hashes, but TJ is the guy you want when you need a big 3rd-and-10 conversion and he's fearless so he'll go wherever needed, even if it means across the middle where MLBs and safeties are waiting to lay wood.

Walter Jones (now, not always). Jones was the premiere LT in the NFC for years, but has fallen a bit despite still getting the pub as being that same guy. Jones is Brian Holloway to Steve Hutchinson's John Hannah; Jones' drop in play was clearly notable once Hutchinson left, similar to how Pro Bowler Holloway was exposed once Hannah retired after '85.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
I think the over-rated Patriots question is an interesting one.

For past Pats, I'd have to say:

Deon Branch
I wouldn't have considered him a top 20 WR when he was with the Patriots, but the media and other NFL teams thought he might be top 10. /boggle​

Daniel Graham
I can't begin to describe how overrated this guy was. He was a really good blocking TE, but couldn't hold onto the ball at all. Kyle Brady is an even swap for him, IMO.​

I think you could make an argument for some of the OL's that have left, but it's hard to judge them on an individual basis in another system, but let's say there's definitely been a few.

Carson Palmer.

And who would have ever guessed - not a single Pats player mentioned :eek:

The Pats are 9-0 and on pace to shatter all sorts of records. Name a player who's overrated for them.

Junior Seau and Tedy Bruschi? Good, serviceable, rotation ILBs. Nobody really claims that they're any more at this point, so they're not overrated.

Laurence Maroney? Sure, he hasn't performed up to expectations, but at this point I'd call him underrated, since the only time anyone ever talks about him is to say he's injury prone or his running style is too upright.

Matt Light? He gets beat from time to time by speed rushers, but pretty much everyone on the O-Line is immune from being called overrated, since everyone seems to be marveling, once again, at how Brady gets exceptional protection from a 'no-name' line.

Richard Seymour? That would probably be your claim, if you didn't know anything about football. The fact that the Pats started strong without him doesn't make him overrated, it just shows how great our team as a whole is, and, specifically, our DL depth, with Jarvis Green able to step in and fill the void.

Honestly, I really don't get how you can claim that anyone's overrated on an undefeated team that's on pace to crush numerous records and is 2 games up on the ENTIRE REST OF THE LEAGUE, particularly when people went into the season debating whether or not they were even the best team. Truth be told, BB knows better than any of us who's overrated, and those are the guys that he doesn't keep around on his team.

Last edited:
Junior Seau and Tedy Bruschi? Good, serviceable, rotation ILBs. Nobody really claims that they're any more at this point, so they're not overrated.

Tedy Bruschi current leads all NFL LBs in Pro Bowl vote-getting. Strangely enough, we might not overrate him, but apparently the rest of the league does (and I believe that in this way, he is overrated... and WE'RE the ones who can say he is, because we all realize he's lost a few steps!)

Last edited:
I have to agree with Tippett, LOT Ferguson of the Jets is more over rated than Mcneil.

Second there is one Patriuot player that a lot of us on this board had huge expectations for over the past 3 years and he always seems to disappoint, either through his own injury or injuries to players around him - Eugene Wilson.

Junior Seau, who I've always thought is overrated. No one jumps on the pile quite like he does.

***ANTE Samuel - No more than the 2007 version of Terrell Buckley

And you could make the arguement for Laurence Maroney. He's not a feature back, no matter how much everyone wants him to be. He's great in a tandem or platoon, but he'll never be THE guy.

Are you a Patriots fan? Boy, I sure hope not, since you picked the two Patriots who are not even remotely overrated. You're comparing Samuel to Buckley -- really? I hope for your sake that this is a joke.

I have to agree with Tippett, LOT Ferguson of the Jets is more over rated than Mcneil.

Second there is one Patriuot player that a lot of us on this board had huge expectations for over the past 3 years and he always seems to disappoint, either through his own injury or injuries to players around him - Eugene Wilson.

I agree too. I missed him

The Miami run defense was 5th last year I believe and have ranked top 10 at least 3 times this decade.

Actually they were 8th. Over the last 10 years, the best description of the Miami run D vs medicore, sometimes bad.
Thomas HAS BEEN (key phrase where he is concerned) touted as a great MLB. Doesn't the standard of being EXCELLENT come along with that? You can name 3 good years in a decade? You are making my point.

Jimmuh Manson....er...Johnson...once said

"We gonna run dat....uh...pass dat....uh...KICK DAT BALL!!!"...all part of the three year plan....BTW, what year is it now in the 3 year plan?

Actually they were 8th. Over the last 10 years, the best description of the Miami run D vs medicore, sometimes bad.
Thomas HAS BEEN (key phrase where he is concerned) touted as a great MLB. Doesn't the standard of being EXCELLENT come along with that? You can name 3 good years in a decade? You are making my point.

Oh well. The fact of the matter is where teams rank in run and pass defense is the most useless stat there is. If a team has an awful run defense why would you pass on them? The Fins pass defense ranked 5th one team earlier this year because everyone was running all over us but our secondary was terrible.

You just took my statement and made a very hasty generalization. I said the Fins run defense ranked in the top 10 AT LEAST 3 times. Where does that say Zach only had 3 good years. He has been anointed an all-pro 7 times and it's no mistake. I've watched too many damn times where he meets the ball carrier at the point of attack to think he's over rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes