PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alge Crumpler Revisited/I Hate Mike Felger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alge Crumpler Revisited/ I Hate Mike Felger

Couple problems.

1. Crumpler is fat. Always has been.
2. Felger has repeatedly pointed out that Crumpler was good player in Atlanta and complimented his role in the running game this preseason.
3. The soundbite of Felger referring to Crumpler as a 'short, fat old man' was him reading from a Tom Curran article.

But please, by all means, don't let anything get in the way of patting each other on the back and whining about the media. It's a real winner.

You must have been away all offseason. Media bashing has been the "in" thing.

Last edited:

Welcome to Boston sports radio, with the exception of a few guys it is all hyperboles and either outright homerism or annoying contrarianism. Although Felger's "the Pats are cheap" and "there is no such thing as a salary cap anymore" rants are getting very tiresome since he tries to tie every signing in the league to the Pats, I don't really mind his contrarianism.

Personally, I would rather have an contrarian who is a contrarian for contrarian than a pom-pom carrying homer who talks about players and coaches as if he has a school girl crush. I know that others disagree and I understand why, but find homerism more boring than contrarianism on talk radio. Unfortunately, you gotta look far and wide to find a host or guest who falls into neither camp.

I refuse to mention his name as he is for entetainment value only but IMO, Crumpler has looked pretty good in pre-season and based on wat BB and Tb have said, should serve as a fine mentor to Gronk and Hernandez this year.

Couple problems.

2. Felger has repeatedly pointed out that Crumpler was good player in Atlanta and complimented his role in the running game this preseason.
3. The soundbite of Felger referring to Crumpler as a 'short, fat old man' was him reading from a Tom Curran article.

But please, by all means, don't let anything get in the way of patting each other on the back and whining about the media. It's a real winner.

If what you say is accurate, then the OP's complaint vs. Felger IN THIS SPECIFIC INSTANCE -- and my forwarding it -- are misplaced. The broader issue of sensationalized negativity/provocative pot-stirring for the sake of ratings remains a disturbing trend. And Mike Felger, especially of late, has been its poster child.

Personally, I would rather have an contrarian who is a contrarian for contrarian than a pom-pom carrying homer who talks about players and coaches as if he has a school girl crush. I know that others disagree and I understand why, but find homerism more boring than contrarianism on talk radio.

I've got a novel solution to this "homerism" vs. "contrarianism" impasse: Why not drop bias/posturing/slant altogether and just be straight with things? There ALWAYS will be ample negative info to dissect about a team in the course of a season without beating it out of the bushes and constantly hammering on it just to get people agitated.

Last edited:

Boston is a great sports town, it deserve's better than what passes as analysts these days. Years ago this was a hot bed for the best sports writers in the country, they went on to to shine in the national spot light like Curt Gaudy, Will McDonough, Gammons Bob Ryan etc. but now its a pathetic group that tries to top each other at being the most controversial, contentious, and negative.

I guess I missed the times where Bob Ryan was a good sportswriter.

McDonough I didn't care for, but he was good.

Thanks! They'll probably love it, since it means people are listening. I was guilty of listening myself until a few weeks ago when Felger was talking about homosexulas and HIV and said "that's what you get". I decided that enough was enough.

(PS I don't in anyway want to restrict freedom speech. But I am exercising my right to not listed based on some of that speech.)

InTommyWeTrst - Your PS is the epitome of the first amendment. Too many people forget that the 1st Amendment does NOT protect you from the reactions that you get from exercising your Freedom of Speech.

There is a line that shouldn't be crossed, but too many of these media commentators (they aren't journalists), seem to have forgotten that.

Couple problems.

Crumpler is not "FAT" nor has he always been. He wasn't fat in the first part of his career. You'd know that if you'd ever seen the man.

Please provide a link to this Curran article that you claim Felger was quoting from.

Even if he heard it, I don't think Alge gives a flying **** about what Felger thinks. Plus these are grown men, your typical high school athlete is going to hear infinitely worse things from their peers than anything a member of the media can say. All these guys have tough skin.

Laurence Maroney begs to differ with you about this...

"Chatty" is right. DaBruinz is on the warpath today. :eek: DB, it might make things easier if you used the multi-quote option by the way.

Last edited:

Crumpler is not "FAT" nor has he always been. He wasn't fat in the first part of his career. You'd know that if you'd ever seen the man.

Please provide a link to this Curran article that you claim Felger was quoting from.

I'm not the one involved in this, but here's Felger talking about it:

Bertrand: We play a promo with you saying hes a short fat old man.

Felger: I was just reading from Tom Curran’s report, that man ain’t short. His ass ain’t! His ass probably comes up to my chin! He is destroying people in the blocking game. On that first- maybe it was the Fred Taylor touchdown run. He de-cleated somebody! He crushed somebody! And he’s been throwing his weight around out there in both these games that I’ve seen. Pass me the Kool Aid Beetle!

Felger & Mazz On: Patriots Tight Ends 98.5 The Sports Hub – Boston's New Home For Sports

I can't find the article, but here is bit of Felger doubling down.

Felger & Mazz On: Patriots Tight Ends 98.5 The Sports Hub – Boston's New Home For Sports

Felger: Let me just continue to gush about the tight ends. Alge Crumpler is a large man- certainly maybe a little above his playing weight- got a ton of ass! I mean, you wanna talk about an ass! That guy is all-

Bertrand: What happened to “short fat old man?”

Felger: It’s all behind. He ain’t short! Who said he was short? That was a bad scouting report.

Felger: I was just reading from Tom Curran’s report, that man ain’t short. His ass ain’t! His ass probably comes up to my chin! He is destroying people in the blocking game. On that first- maybe it was the Fred Taylor touchdown run. He de-cleated somebody! He crushed somebody! And he’s been throwing his weight around out there in both these games that I’ve seen. Pass me the Kool Aid Beetle!

Found it:

Patriots close to deal with Crumpler . . . but why?

"At 6-foot-2, 262 pounds, the 32-year-old Crumpler is a short (relative to others in his profession), fat (relative to others at his position), old (relative to others in his profession) man. And he doesn't look like any 262, either."

I guess I missed the times where Bob Ryan was a good sportswriter.

McDonough I didn't care for, but he was good.
Ryan oh its been awhile, but i'm talking about him covering the Celtics, in recent years he has branched off to comment on the Pats which is an Epic failure.

I can't find the article, but here is bit of Felger doubling down.

Felger: Let me just continue to gush about the tight ends. Alge Crumpler is a large man- certainly maybe a little above his playing weight- got a ton of ass! I mean, you wanna talk about an ass! That guy is all-

Bertrand: What happened to “short fat old man?”

Felger: It’s all behind. He ain’t short! Who said he was short? That was a bad scouting report.

Found it:

Patriots close to deal with Crumpler . . . but why?

"At 6-foot-2, 262 pounds, the 32-year-old Crumpler is a short (relative to others in his profession), fat (relative to others at his position), old (relative to others in his profession) man. And he doesn't look like any 262, either."

Aye. In that case I'll give Felger a pass for that one.

Couple problems.

Isn't funny how it is so slanderous for a media guy to refer to a player as ..."fat" "short" "useless" and "tub of goo"... but anonymous messageboard heroes can call media members "disgusting and toxic" and be lauded for their efforts. Always remarkable...but then again, the motto on this board is..."PATRIOTS GOOD, WORLD BAD."

This quote, more than Felger's opinions, is what makes me hate him:

"Felger: I was just reading from Tom Curran’s report, that man ain’t short. His ass ain’t! His ass probably comes up to my chin! He is destroying people in the blocking game. On that first- maybe it was the Fred Taylor touchdown run. He de-cleated somebody! He crushed somebody! And he’s been throwing his weight around out there in both these games that I’ve seen. Pass me the Kool Aid Beetle!"

He simply cannot compliment anyone the Pats pick up. He can't just say he looks good, or he's played welled, or even he made that ONE GOOD PLAY. That's too much for Felger's ego to handle, so he has to throw in the Kool-Aid line at the end, just to let everyone know that anytime anyone says something good about the Patriots (deserved or not) it's all homer ballwashing.

His opinions are fine. His attitude his horse ****.

the motto on this board is..."PATRIOTS GOOD, WORLD BAD."

Any questions?

Couple problems.

Um, NOPE! Sorry! I heard it first hand the day Felger went off on Crumpler. It especially stood out to me because he called him "useless" and a "tub of goo". I also recall when he was reading from Currans article but it was what he said on his won that stood out to me.

Isn't funny how it is so slanderous for a media guy to refer to a player as ..."fat" "short" "useless" and "tub of goo"... but anonymous messageboard heroes can call media members "disgusting and toxic" and be lauded for their efforts. Always remarkable...but then again, the motto on this board is..."PATRIOTS GOOD, WORLD BAD."

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to do..be a hero!!

No I was reacting to something Felger actually said and called him "toxic and disgusting". Felger called Crumpler "useless" for absolutely no reason at all. You seriously don't see a difference?!?!

There would seem to be a "slight" difference between the scope of an official broadcast media outlet and an Internet messageboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft