PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alan Branch signs 2 year deal with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have Siliga and Branch. Do we need another large body run stopper? If so do we need one at 4million?

VW is the man, a consummate Patriot. But I think we can add one more wide body on the cheap and use that 3.5 million to strengthen the LB group. With our two starting CBs gone, I would LOVE to see BB go with an emphasis on the LB group -- put together a fearsome foursome that make plays, give other teams fits and generally kick ass. This would make the loss of our CBs a passing thought.
However, I'll defer to BB on the matter :)

One could make the argument that we've gotten that 'fearsome foursome' at the position of LB, I think.

Understanding that we only use 2 LBs on about 75% of the plays in subpackages, there may be some debate as to the need of having FOUR solid ones myself, but either way, the addition of Sheard now makes Rob Ninkovich a focus for that 4th LB spot. As we know, injuries can and do happen, so it's probably good to have that talent and depth.

A couple of things to consider:

1) Siliga is currently attempting to recover from surgery, although I don't know the specifics. I do know that he posted a picture of himself a few weeks ago from the hospital with the caption of "this begins the road back to recovery," or something to that effect.

https://instagram.com/p/zBVLCUMAbn/

2) Easley is still something of an unknown, and I'm not 100 percent convinced that Branch is able to handle the kind of load that Wilfork did with 74% of the snaps last season. I suppose that we'll find out soon enough. Like you said, we'll have to defer to Belichick. He's got a pretty good handle on things ;)

Good signing. Branch, Siliga, Chris Jones and Easely gives them the making of a decent interior line. I would still like to see them bring back Wilfork, it would give them quality, depth and leadership.

Glad Branch is back. Once he got his legs under him he played well.

They still need to go after a DT that can rush the passer and stop the run.

They will draft a DT or sign a UFA between the draft and camp. They need to find the next Seymour.

This all but closes the door on Wilfork until TC.

@AlbertBreer: Patriots giving Alan Branch $6.6 million (max, as PFT said) over 2 years could well be a sign Vince Wilfork's market has become too pricey.

Or Albert, Branch's play with a whole offseason projects to be better than a 34
year old Wilfork.

Not likely

The writing may be on the wall that VW will end up somewhere else, and it's quite possible that Belichick realizes the possibility through a difference of opinion that occurred from negotiating.

That said, I still believe that Wilfork would be more than welcome to return as long as he accepted a bit less from some of the other supposed offers that are out there. For example, would Belichick still be interested in Wilfork at something around 3.5--4.0 m dollars? I would certainly think so.

Is that a one year deal of two? If it's one, the answer is no.

I'd still like to see them pick up Kenrick Ellis as a young run stuffer. Siliga, Branch and Ellis would be a good rotation. Then add Marcus Hardison in the draft.

Wilfork's agent is telling the media that he's got multiple offers for 2 years @ $10 million. That's way above the Pats' pay grade for a 2-down role player. I don't think any Pats' fan will hold it against Vince for moving on to greener pastures.

good move, you can never have enough run stuffers. remember in 2013 when we had velano and isaac sapoaga? lol

Good signing, I think Branch played well for us last year, very underrated!!!

Does this mean Vince is gone?

The connection, beyond the obvious, is that it's hard to imagine both Vince and Branch hitting a lot of incentive if Easley and Siliga both perform too.

I hope I am wrong but IMO signing Branch means there is a very good chance Vince is gone. He will probably be offered more money by another team.

I like the resigning of branch. Very good move by bb.

I would not be surprised to see bb draft a dt early in the draft.

Not sure what dt will be available at 32, but at least bb is covered if no one he likes is there.

Still would love McCarthy of ucla in the third.

@AlbertBreer: Patriots giving Alan Branch $6.6 million (max, as PFT said) over 2 years could well be a sign Vince Wilfork's market has become too pricey.

Or Albert, Branch's play with a whole offseason projects to be better than a 34
year old Wilfork.

I like Branch, but he's 30 years old and has played for 8 seasons. If he was ever going to be half the player Wilfork is, he would have shown it by now.

You know Wilfork went right from a devastating achilles tear to playing 70% of the snaps last year, and was still better than Branch.

A Yugo doesn't become a Cadillac because it has less miles on it.

A rested and rehabbed Wilfork, a year removed from injury, is still a premium player with some mileage.

Although this signing makes it possible to compete with a lesser player with some upside added, it doesn't rule out an affordable Vince IMO. 3 million and change isn't overwhelming for a player of Branch's size, if he's motivated.

They aren't breaking the bank for Vince and i understand that, Mevis or no Mevis.

Gonna' be strange seeing Wilfork in another jersey

If the best offer Wilfork gets is 5 mil each for two years elsewhere I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back.

One could make the argument that we've gotten that 'fearsome foursome' at the position of LB, I think.

Understanding that we only use 2 LBs on about 75% of the plays in subpackages, there may be some debate as to the need of having FOUR solid ones myself, but either way, the addition of Sheard now makes Rob Ninkovich a focus for that 4th LB spot. As we know, injuries can and do happen, so it's probably good to have that talent and depth.

A couple of things to consider:

1) Siliga is currently attempting to recover from surgery, although I don't know the specifics. I do know that he posted a picture of himself a few weeks ago from the hospital with the caption of "this begins the road back to recovery," or something to that effect.

https://instagram.com/p/zBVLCUMAbn/

2) Easley is still something of an unknown, and I'm not 100 percent convinced that Branch is able to handle the kind of load that Wilfork did with 74% of the snaps last season. I suppose that we'll find out soon enough. Like you said, we'll have to defer to Belichick. He's got a pretty good handle on things ;)

Regarding 2 LBs being used often (it was almost the base D), I thought that was done out of personnel necessity versus the optimum choice (I could be wrong on that).
What I was getting at, sorta, was swapping areas of conspicuous strength. Last season the secondary was full of 'studs' and the conspicuous area of strength. With half the starting secondary gone and 1:1 replacements unlikely for 'the departed', I'd love to see that conspicuous area of strength now become the LB group. And while I think our LB group as it stands is good, no complaints, I'd like to see that one more semi-stud added making it a fearsome foursome (Ninko on the line).
IMHO spending 3.5/4 million on that is better than spending it on VW. For the interior DL go with Branch, Siliga, as well as an additional, inexpensive, one trick wide body.
I've always been of the opinion that the LB position has the greatest opportunity for playmaking. Even if we have just an adequate overall secondary and DL, a LB group like that can make this D hard to score on.
Or Sup the other possibility, as it's well into Saturday night, I'm simply speaking from the POV of too many glasses of liquid cheer.:)

Gonna' be strange seeing Wilfork in another jersey
If he doesn't return which seems likely I'm dying to see this unfold
“Vince is a great player, and if I thought I could have gotten Vince for [what the Texans paid], I probably would’ve taken him,” Kraft said, via the Boston Herald. “And it was our best judgment to do what we did. Vince is a great player. I’d love for Vince to come back.”-Robert Kraft

If the best offer Wilfork gets is 5 mil each for two years elsewhere I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back.

I REALLY hate to seem like I'm putting down VW. He's always been a solid Patriot and easy guy to root for. I am just having a hard time seeing 5 million for VW. Is he commanding double teams? Is he still getting push and making the opposition's running up the middle solidly unproductive?
At his age and weight, IMHO, 5 million is too much unless he is a clear and convincing difference maker. This is why, from my POV, another Siliga type who is an inexpensive difficult to move wide body to go along with a 4+ million a year <fill in the blank player> is a much wiser use of money than VW for 5 million.

But! if BB signs him for 5 million a year I completely retract this post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back