PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After meeting with Broncos, Cutler formally asks for trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: After Meeting with McKid, Cutler Formally Asks for Trade

Josh, so far, hasnt admitted to doing anything nearly as bad as espn makes it sound. Cutler, and most importantly, HIS AGENT, are really doing a good job of spinning things against the Broncos.

ESPN blowing a situation out of proportion?!? Never! They are responsible journalists over there and they would never turn a scandal into a ratings generator while throw a ton of baseless accusations out there and when they are proven wrong never admit fault. You must have them confused with another organization. If ESPN is reporting it, it's gotta be the truth.

The rest of the article gets McDaniels' story, it includes both sides, not just the spin from Cutler.

There are a few inconvenient points that are hard to shake. The Broncos thought about trading Cutler then denied it, and then in a follow up meeting, admitted they considered a trade and then said they would consider future ones as well. At bare minimum they are telling their starting QB they lied to him.

I have to give McDaniels credit though, he is doing an excellent job destroying the Broncos for the Patriots, with more lack of situational awareness and inexperience.

What's your problem? Does your wife have fantasies about Josh, so that's why you hate him? :eek:

The rest of the article gets McDaniels' story, it includes both sides, not just the spin from Cutler.

There are a few inconvenient points that are hard to shake. The Broncos thought about trading Cutler then denied it, and then in a follow up meeting, admitted they considered a trade and then said they would consider future ones as well. At bare minimum they are telling their starting QB they lied to him.

I have to give McDaniels credit though, he is doing an excellent job destroying the Broncos for the Patriots, with more lack of situational awareness and inexperience.

The Cutler argument was the the Broncos were the ones trying to trade Cutler. Denver maintained that the Broncos did not initiate talks and were only answering calls.

Are you trying to say that the Broncos now "admit" that they were initiators of trade talks? If so, please supply links.

If someone called BB offering to trade for Brady, I am sure BB would listen. You have to.

But Belichick wouldn't call up his QB and deny considering a trade, tell the QB he's your guy and have no intention of trading him, and tell the media you have no intention of trading him... and then in a follow up meeting admit you did think about a trade and would consider future trades.

You can see how a crybaby QB like Cutler would interpret that as being two-faced.
Broncos fans would hope their front office was a little more sophisticated than what they've been so far...

So if McDaniels' and the Broncks were so hot and heavy for Cassell, why didn't they jump in the ring quicker with a better offer than we got from KC? Seems poorly handled all around by the Broncos.

Cutler is such a douce, but McDaniels handled this like a pee-wee coach would.

So where does Cutler end up? How's the Jets sound. Although, Tamp would surely be insterested.

I wonder if there is any chance that the Chiefs trade Cassel to the Bronco's for Cutler, with assorted draft picks exchanging hands in some way?

If someone called BB offering to trade for Brady, I am sure BB would listen. You have to. I see no evidence of anything more than that except for these BS "leaks" by the Cutler camp.

So maybe Josh could have done something more to smooth this over, but Cutler is the real schmuck here. I'd like to see him traded to Detroit, just to spite him.

That's my point exactly. If someone calls, and says they have a great deal for ya, you atleast listen. Thats the only thing the Broncos have admitted to. Everything else has been espn, Mort, or that idiot Woody Paige. I just don't get how anyone on this board would even listen to anything espn has to say.

Seems poorly handled all around by the Broncos.

The Broncos front office is a complete joke. Xanders isn't doing anything to counter-act or counter-balance the lack of situational awareness from McDaniels.

Cutler is a punk but I don't think he wanted out two months ago and just planned this whole thing to orchestrate an exit. He's a sensitive crybaby whose buttons were pushed all the wrong ways by a completely inept Broncos front office.

Cutler is such a douce, but McDaniels handled this like a pee-wee coach would.

Careful, there are some McDaniels ballwashers here who will try to discredit you and say you are unobjective if you say anything negative about McKid.

But Belichick wouldn't call up his QB and deny considering a trade, tell the QB he's your guy and have no intention of trading him, and tell the media you have no intention of trading him... and then in a follow up meeting admit you did think about a trade and would consider future trades.

You can see how a crybaby QB like Cutler would interpret that as being two-faced.
Broncos fans would hope their front office was a little more sophisticated than what they've been so far...

No, Belichick would just promise that Bledsoe would get his starting job back so he would act as a mentor to Brady only to reneg on his promise when Bledsoe was willing to play.

I think McDaniels denied ever offering a trade to the Pats. Being in trade discussions with the Bucs (assuming those are the only discussions the Broncos had about Cutler) and making an offer to the Pats are two different things. It is a fact of NFL life that trades are discussed all the time that never go anywhere. There are only a handful of players who are untradeable at any price and Cutler isn't one of them. If the Bucs were willing to give the Broncos a Hershall Walker type of trade for Cutler or at least two or three high draft picks, it is stupid for the Broncos to not at least listen to the offer especially if they could have gotten Cassel with say only one of the picks going to the Pats. Since there is no direct quote on what type of discussions were made, Mortensen could be overblowing those talks.

I was thinking about ol' Bus Cook and his lovely Favre and McNair messes, so I did a google search and found exactly the kind of article I was looking for:

Is Bus Cook a Troublemaker? --NFL FanHouse

You're assuming that's the right series of events... I bet the truth is actually further from it.

I highly doubt any coach goes into a meeting and says "Hi QB, I've got another QB I'd prefer, however if I can't get him I might keep you or trade you.. I'm not quite sure yet."

That's poor practice and it just doesn't happen.

Last edited:
The Cutler argument was the the Broncos were the ones trying to trade Cutler. Denver maintained that the Broncos did not initiate talks and were only answering calls.

Are you trying to say that the Broncos now "admit" that they were initiators of trade talks? If so, please supply links.

You are right. Thinking back. The Broncos never denied talking trade for Cutler, but just said teams came to them. That being said, McDaniels never lied to Cutler.

That's my point exactly. If someone calls, and says they have a great deal for ya, you atleast listen. Thats the only thing the Broncos have admitted to. Everything else has been espn, Mort, or that idiot Woody Paige. I just don't get how anyone on this board would even listen to anything espn has to say.

I am in complete agreement with you on this.

So then why would you go around telling the media and your QB a month ago you never considered a trade and will not trade him, and then two days ago meet in person to admit you did consider a trade and would continue to consider trading the QB in the future? At the very least it reveals a complete absence of EQ.

You are right. Thinking back. The Broncos never denied talking trade for Cutler, but just said teams came to them. That being said, McDaniels never lied to Cutler.

A few articles quoted the Broncos front office saying Cutler was their guy and he was not being traded. Now we're hearing they tell Cutler that they would continue listening or considering deals with Cutler in the future. How is that a consistent message?

You know the guy is a crybaby, all you have to do is come in and reassure him to his face that he's your guy. Why not do that? Why instead ruin your own potential trade value by pissing the guy off even more.

Last edited:

I am in complete agreement with you on this.

So then why would you go around telling the media and your QB a month ago you never considered a trade and will not trade him, and then two days ago meet in person to admit you did consider a trade and would continue to consider trading the QB in the future? At the very least it reveals a complete absence of EQ.

Did you even bother to read the article?

"Before this trade for Cassel thing ever came up, in the two weeks or so I had spent with McDaniels, he was basically telling me that he came to Denver because he wanted to coach me and that we needed to trust each other," Cutler said. "He's never been critical to me.

Yet Cook admitted that when he called Xanders to request a trade on Saturday night, the team's general manager said it wasn't going to happen and that "Jay should show up Monday."

"That's what we have communicated ever since the deal with Cassel didn't happen," McDaniels said. "Other teams have called but we're not interested in getting draft picks for Jay. I never made a statement [Saturday] that 'you can be traded at any time.' They asked a question and I told them it was the time of year when people inquire about your team. Your job, as a head coach and general manager, is to listen and not bypass any opportunity to help your team improve.

I think McDaniels denied ever offering a trade to the Pats.

This is possible, but not the point.

Why meet with your QB you know is overly sensitive, only to reiterate that you would continue to listen to deals as they come in? Even if that is standard and common for any team to at least listen to offers, why do you tell your already pissed off QB this?
Unless your goal is to create an even bigger rift between head coach and QB, it makes no sense.

I hope they trade his ass to oakland.

BB sent McDaniels over to Denver to single handedly destroy that franchise. Maybe one of Bill's best pre-emptive move to date. We are the evil empire!!!!

A few articles quoted the Broncos front office saying Cutler was their guy and he was not being traded. Now we're hearing they tell Cutler that they would continue listening or considering deals with Cutler in the future. How is that a consistent message?

You know the guy is a crybaby, all you have to do is come in and reassure him to his face that he's your guy. Why not do that? Why instead ruin your own potential trade value by pissing the guy off even more.

You are twisting the facts of the article. Here is the direct quote from the article what McDaniels saying he would "continue considering deals for Cutler".

"That's what we have communicated ever since the deal with Cassel didn't happen," McDaniels said. "Other teams have called but we're not interested in getting draft picks for Jay. I never made a statement [Saturday] that 'you can be traded at any time.' They asked a question and I told them it was the time of year when people inquire about your team. Your job, as a head coach and general manager, is to listen and not bypass any opportunity to help your team improve. I think most people [in the NFL] feel the same way. You make smart, educated decisions that are best for your football team."

What did he go back on. You know that Belichick will listen to any trade offer for any player on his team including Brady. If a team is willing to give a deal that is so one sided that the GM would be fired by the time the ink dryed, he might consider it. But you need to listen to every offer that comes your way whether you have the intention to trade the player or not. That is what McDaniels is saying.

Maybe Cutler took it wrong or McDaniels didn't portray it to him properly, but without being in that room you don't know that. Personally, I think even if he did portray it wrong, it was the best thing to happen. If Cutler is this thin skinned and is trying to shoot his way out of town, it is best to get this mess over before the season than midway through the season. Cutler is the QB version of TO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes