PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to check what year this thread was created. Yup 2015 and this is the year Dobson becomes the combination of Megatron and Moss. You never let me dow patsfans form.

:confused: Is there a single comment in this thread implying Dobson will even be a top 2 WR on the Pats? Why do people complain about things no one is saying?

Lots of good back and forth here, but in general I think there's a little too much angst going on about a guy pegged to a 3/4 and who really only has a rookie year under his belt.

My prediction: he stays healthy, improves throughout the year, and is a contributor in the playoffs, with at least one catch where we say, "thank god we stuck with Dobson."

Or he gets cut this week. One or the other. (Kidding)

Breaking it up makes no sense since it was a catchable ball even after the bobble. I don't see how he could make sure the db was down other than giving up on the fight even sooner. Neither seem like a legitimate criticism to me, he just should have caught it in the first place. It's the bobble that caused all the problems, from there he and the DB had a roughly equal play on it.

The ball was behind him a little and I'm not saying it was an easy catch. And I'm also not saying that we should dump him. I'm just talking about that one play. I just don't think he went after it properly and that allowed the db to affect his ability to pull it in, which was the reason for the bobble and for his weak position on the way down.

Since we're on the subject of Dobson, there was one catch he made in the middle of the field (I forget when) that also bothered me. He caught a ball in stride 10-15 yards downfield heading straight ahead with some defenders around him but not really near him. He went down as soon as he caught the ball. It looked too much like a dive to avoid a hit to make me trust him. Hopefully it's rust.

I had to check what year this thread was created. Yup 2015 and this is the year Dobson becomes the combination of Megatron and Moss. You never let me dow patsfans form.
The concerns are well warranted. He's underwhelmed since he got here. He keeps making the SAME mistakes, when he can stay healthy. You have to be on the field, and improve to be what
I think he's capable of. I remember the abuse Edelman took on this site, and for the life of me could not understand why. Edelman always corrected his mistakes and learned from them. You rarely saw him do it twice. I like Dobson a lot. Seems like a real good kid. But this is the big leagues and he is very much needed NOW!!!. Time to get his head out of his ***. This is his shot to make it. I want him to. He could be sooooo good.

The ball was behind him a little and I'm not saying it was an easy catch. And I'm also not saying that we should dump him. I'm just talking about that one play. I just don't think he went after it properly and that allowed the db to affect his ability to pull it in, which was the reason for the bobble and for his weak position on the way down.

We don't disagree much about that, I just don't think you can fault Dobson for how he fought on the ground or not making the tackle that would have required him no longer going for the ball. That's all. But the bobble was what created the mess in the first place. :)

The concerns are well warranted. He's underwhelmed since he got here. He keeps making the SAME mistakes, when he can stay healthy. You have to be on the field, and improve to be what
I think he's capable of. I remember the abuse Edelman took on this site, and for the life of me could not understand why. Edelman always corrected his mistakes and learned from them. You rarely saw him do it twice. I like Dobson a lot. Seems like a real good kid. But this is the big leagues and he is very much needed NOW!!!. Time to get his head out of his ***. This is his shot to make it. I want him to. He could be sooooo good.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with his rookie year. He put up some numbers, made some plays and got hurt. If he stays healthy he would have had the best statistical season of any rookie Patriot WR in team history.

In 2014 he lost an entire year of development.

I agree that he looks shaky but to say he was a disappointment in 2013 is way too harsh.

Last edited:
There was absolutely nothing wrong with his rookie year. He put up some numbers, made some plays and got hurt. If he stays healthy he would have had the best statistical season of any Patriot WR in team history.

In 2014 he lost an entire year of development.

I agree that he looks shaky but to say he was a disappointment in 2013 is way too harsh.

Exactly. The guy's essentially had a rookie year, and a decent one at that. People are far too quick to want to label guys--X is soft/injury prone/whatever.

20150830_015154_resized-2-jpg.10191

Obviously any rational person can see in the picture that the DB is in far better position to make the catch, which is what happened.

It's pretty clear from the picture above that the DBs arm actually bent the space time continuum and passed through Dobson's hand preventing him from catching it. Also, the part where the ball is between Dobson's hands, that's not real, probably CGI.
Again, Dobson's momentum was away from the ball, he made the adjustment to get his hands on it, ass ball arrives, Tillman is swatting his arm (a bit challenging to catch a ball in these circumstances) , ball is loose, Dobson continues trying to make secure the ball but Tillman has his right arm pinned, and Tillman happens to be in better position to secure it as they go to the ground as Dobson can really only get his left hand on it and ball gets too close to his neck for any leverage. Saying that Dobson didn't fight for it doesn't make any sense. Did you guys expect him to throw a punch?

Yes, Brady could have put it in front of him a little more, but also Dobson should make that catch. The problem with this is that the ball popping out of his hands when he initially caught it and having to recatch it is what allowed Tillman to make the play.
He did not drop/juggle/bobble the football. Tillman is hitting his arm as the ball arrives. If this ball had fallen to the ground its a pass break up not a drop. I can't help but smile at these , MAYBE Tom's throw could have been better but Dobson DEFINITELY blew it. Have it backwards. Tom's throw definitely should have been 2-3 yards to the right and if Dobson had still caught it, it would have been a very good catch.

He did not drop/juggle/bobble the football. Tillman is hitting his arm as the ball arrives. If this ball had fallen to the ground its a pass break up not a drop. I can't help but smile at these , MAYBE Tom's throw could have been better but Dobson DEFINITELY blew it. Have it backwards. Tom's throw definitely should have been 2-3 yards to the right and if Dobson had still caught it, it would have been a very good catch.
Look at where Dobson was when the ball is thrown (running straight up the numbers at the 25. Brady placed the ball between the numbers and hash marks. The ball WAS 3 yards to Dobson's right. The safety was coming from the other direction. Another 2-3 yards drops it in the safeties hands. The idea Tillman had better position to make the catch is ludicrous. The Ball was placed to the inside of Dobson with Tillman playing outside technique. He bobbled it and let a player with much better ball skills and much worst positioning catch it over him.

Look at where Dobson was when the ball is thrown (running straight up the numbers at the 25. Brady placed the ball between the numbers and hash marks. The ball WAS 3 yards to Dobson's right. The safety was coming from the other direction. Another 2-3 yards drops it in the safeties hands. The idea Tillman had better position to make the catch is ludicrous. The Ball was placed to the inside of Dobson with Tillman playing outside technique. He bobbled it and let a player with much better ball skills and much worst positioning catch it over him.

Not true. I've downloaded the video and have played it at .125 speed. Both the sideline and end zone view. Tillman's hand arrives at Dobson's hand exactly when the ball arrives. Tillman then pulls Dobson's right arm away from the ball. Dobson made a good effort bringing the ball back in. When they both landed on the ground Dobson had the ball at his chest but Tillman obviously was able to yank it out.

Not sure why Tillman was not down due to contact and not sure exactly why Dobson wasn't down due to contact because he had the ball at his chest. Dob 1.png Dob 2.png Dob 3.png

The safety was not even close to being in the play. And again, the ball was not bobbled, it was knocked loose by the corner who was right on top of the play since tom threw him back into it

Clearly Dobson can do no wrong in your eyes. He had two hands on the ball, a WR getting two hands on the ball means the QB did their job and got them the ball.

Plain and simple Dobson needs to be stronger and fight on that type of a play when a defender is on him or he is going need to consistently get open by 4-5 yards.

Clearly Dobson can do no wrong in your eyes. He had two hands on the ball, a WR getting two hands on the ball means the QB did their job and got them the ball.

Plain and simple Dobson needs to be stronger and fight on that type of a play when a defender is on him or he is going need to consistently get open by 4-5 yards.
No, you don't understand, even though the ball hits Dobson in the hands and it turns into an interception it's a great play by the receiver even though that almost never happens.

No , he just didn't do anything wrong on this play. Tom is the one who is without flaw around here. Not sure if you realize but a significant percentage of pass breakups are from dbs hitting the receiver / his arms at the moment of the catch despite him being able to get his hands on it.

Worse play by tom than dobson

Not true. I've downloaded the video and have played it at .125 speed. Both the sideline and end zone view. Tillman's hand arrives at Dobson's hand exactly when the ball arrives. Tillman then pulls Dobson's right arm away from the ball. Dobson made a good effort bringing the ball back in. When they both landed on the ground Dobson had the ball at his chest but Tillman obviously was able to yank it out.

Not sure why Tillman was not down due to contact and not sure exactly why Dobson wasn't down due to contact because he had the ball at his chest. View attachment 10199 View attachment 10200 View attachment 10201
dob-1-png.10199

Look at this pic, you're seriously gonna argue this shows Tillman in superior position to make the catch. If this was a great effort by Dobson, than Tillman is the greatest player of all time. Or it was s*** effort by Dobson and Tillman is the player we know he is- okay.

That's not true. Dobson had Tillman beat to the inside. He had to slow down and jump and turn his body towards the outside which allowed Tillman to catch up to him and knock the ball out of his hands. If that Ball had been thrown 5 yards to the inside it would have been a TD. Even 1 yard would have been a catch.

I don't know if he ran his route correctly or not but after watching the end zone view, Tillman clearly knocked it out of his hands right when the ball arrived.

Dob4.png Dob5.png Dob6.png

dob-1-png.10199

Look at this pic, you're seriously gonna argue this shows Tillman in superior position to make the catch. If this was a great effort by Dobson, than Tillman is the greatest player of all time. Or it was s*** effort by Dobson and Tillman is the player we know he is- okay.

Bob he was in a great position to knock the ball out of Dobson's hands. He didn't intercept the ball by catching it rather he stripped it away from Dobson after he was on the ground. How can you not see Tillman was in a great position to make a play on that ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back