PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A true indicator of how good Butler has become...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
After being targeted 83 times in his first 12 games, he has only been targeted 11 times in his last 3 games. Only 5 have have been completed and his has allowed just 63 yards over that period.

Butler is the real deal, when other teams will not even test a CB you know he is damn good.

If he is this good now, imagine where he will be in February... Playing his best football when it matters most.

After being targeted 83 times in his first 12 games, he has only been targeted 11 times in his last 3 games. Only 5 have have been completed and his has allowed just 63 yards over that period.

Butler is the real deal, when other teams will not even test a CB you know he is damn good.

If he is this good now, imagine where he will be in February... Playing his best football when it matters most.

Great stats dig. I've noticed this as well.

There is certainly the debate on how good Revis was last year but there is no disputing the fact that QB's avoided throwing to his side for fear of being picked off or avoiding a low percentage play.

Being able to shut down a side of the field is a HUGE bonus for the defense.

His nick name is "scrap" however let's hope it changes to "Mr. February".

Butler still has along way to go before he reaches Revis' level in his prime. He has certainly become a fine player whto has come a very long way in a VERY short period of time, but he hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling, simply because he hasn't had the time to reach it.

The Revis/Butler comparison is ridiculous right now. Revis after 15 starts wouldn't compare with Revis in his prime,how do you expect Butler to do so. If we keep raising our expectation of Butler to the level I'm seeing here, we are doomed to be disappointed, even if he plays decently.

Lets remember who this kid is. He is undersized. He doesn't have top end speed. He does have top end quickness. Ultimately it is his drive and competitiveness allows his play to exceed his physical gifts, much like Revis has. It is also obvious that like Revis he is a student of the game, but unlike Revis, he is only in the "2nd grade"of his education. He still has a lot to learn and experience

Make no mistake about it. Butler's rise has been nothing short of extraordinary. To come from a division 2 school after a lot of missteps to being a probowl starter ( BTW- mostly because of coaches and player votes) in just 2 seasons is epic. Remember Butler had just one offer from 32 teams, and that offer was to come for a tryout just to see if he would be allowed to be camp fodder, let alone make the team.

So why don't we give the kid a break and allow him the luxury of growing into what he will eventually become. With all the talk about Butler, I can't help be reminded by Dante Hightower's experience. He was lucky that he was the team's second first round draft pick, so his mediocre first season was somewhat forgiven since he was thrust into Mayo's role by his injury. As he learned in his 2nd year, there were a lot fans who started to give him a lot of heat because of another rather lackluster season. Frankly it wasn't until mid season of his 3rd year with the team that he turned the corner and he started to play at the current high level he's displayed. The point being that for even the best players in the league it takes TIME for them to reach .their potential. There is a LOT to learn about being a great NFL player. It very rarely happens in the first couple of years.

Now there are a lot of fans who would rather pay Hightower than Jones, but the fact is that for most of their 4 years with the Pats, that thought would have been laughable. Now it isn't. (though I suspect they will sign both)

Last edited:
How much do you figure Butler is worth on the open market as a FA?

How much do you figure Butler is worth on the open market as a FA?

Avg salary, I'd put him in the $8-$9m range

CBs that are currently in that range

Brandon Flowers
Vontae Davis
Kareem Jackson
Chris Harris
Antonio Cromartie
Chris Culliver
Brent Gimes

Players above that range

Talib ($9.5m)
Sam Shields ($9.7m)
Leon Hall ($9.7m)
Brandon Carr ($10m)
Jimmy Smith ($10m)
Maxwell ($10.5m)
Haden ($13.5m)
Sherman ($14m)
Peterson ($14m)
Revis ($14m)

It's silly to expect him to be Revis. DR is a first ballot HoFer. Best DB of his generation. Maybe the best cover guy since Deion.

I'm just hoping Butler can remain a reliable #1 CB for the remainder of his time here. If he can do that he'll have paid off many times over.

Lets remember who this kid is. He is undersized. He doesn't have top end speed.

Butler is as tall or taller than Darelle Revis, Chris Harris Jr., Brandon Flowers, and Vontae Davis, and he's as fast or faster as Davis, Flowers, Harris, and Richard Sherman. Just sayin'.

Of course, he's not perfect yet. Had to be a tough one on him to just miss on that OT TD to Decker.

But that's what's special about him, that he doesn't let plays like that shake him, he knows how to redeem himself. That's what you want in a cornerback.

You would think that with all the clamoring around here about getting 6'0" corners that there would actually be a correlation between good corners and height. Well, i suppose there is. Pretty much all of the best are *under* 6'0". :)

just goes to show, as always, fans don't know ****.

Butler is as tall or taller than Darelle Revis, Chris Harris Jr., Brandon Flowers, and Vontae Davis, and he's as fast or faster as Davis, Flowers, Harris, and Richard Sherman. Just sayin'.
What are you disagreeing with @Marqui, Butler's height, or what? Come on, help me out here a little…

Just imagine how the legend could grow this January and February!

Just imagine how the legend could grow this January and February!
If he has a great playoff run culminating in another SB title, he is at Ortiz/Brady/Bird level of playoff clutchness.

Compared to which CBs???
Well you got me there JM. There are a lot more 4.5 CB's out there than most of us would like to believe. But it has never been about the the raw "speed", but rather the acceleration. How fast can the player accelerate to top speed is the real factor (3 cone) That was the ability that allowed the 4.6 Barry Sanders to be one of the GOAT RB's.

In coach speak it's called recovery speed, and is FAR more vital for a DB than his combine 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3